This topic is locked from further discussion.

alpha_bean11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 alpha_bean11
Member since 2011 • 31 Posts

Hello! I am not sure if this is the right place to ask but I am wondering how I can set up a Render Farm at my school. I want to take some of the cpu power from computers around me and use it for rendering my animations. I could figure out how to do it easily but the computers at my school all have restrictions set on them. So I can't see into other computers or the files of them. I am curious if there is some wired external way to do it. They all are already on a network, and I have permission to do it if I can get it to work. And I want to keep the computers how they are. Oh and I use blender to do my animations. Ask me if you have any other questions.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
A single GPU will vastly outperform a bunch of CPUs in rendering. Even if you're taking a few dozen computers with i7s in them it still wouldn't match up to a firepro or quadro. It's like trying to get Crysis to run on an IGC, except much, much worse.
alpha_bean11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 alpha_bean11
Member since 2011 • 31 Posts

I have no way to render with the gpu in blender unless I use cycles, and I don't want to for this project. So I would like to do as I said in the first post.