Recommendations for a new PC gamer?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jkhd831

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jkhd831
Member since 2009 • 687 Posts

Hey guys, I'm getting a gaming laptop soon and was wondering if you could recommend me any games  (from the past or present).  I like single player RPGs with good stories (ie Final Fantasy VII-X), open world/ sandbox (ie Skyrim, Just Cause 2), and life simulators (ie Sims 3), but am open to try others as long as they are great games.  I have a PS3 so I already have most multiplats.  Thanks!

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#2 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Hey bud, welcome to PC gaming!

I will list some older games and some newer ones for ya, hope it helps!

RPGS:

- Fallout New Vegas

- Witcher 1/2

- Gothic 1-3 and Risen 1/2

- Arx Fatalis

- Neverwinter Nights 2 COMPLETE

- KOTOR2 (with restoration mod)

- Baldurs Gate series

- Planscape Torment

- Morrowind

- Drakensang games

- Divinity 2

- Icewind Dale

- Fallout 1/2

- Dragon Age Origins

Sim style/building games =

- Anno2070

- Tropico4

- Simcity5 (coming next month)

OTHERS:

- Stalker

- Metro

- Halflife games

- Portal games

- Starcraft 2

- Age Of Empire series

- DAYZ

- ARMA2

- Deus Ex HR

- Seriou Sam series

- Minecraft

- Terraria

- To the Moon

- FTL

- Total War series

- TF2

Hope those help bud!

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#3 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

Anno 2070 - you start off in the open sea on a ark with a ship. there is islands and you must pick one to start your world. each island offers something different so you must decide and then use other islands to grow. and in the mean time there is NPC on other islands. Some of them is peaceful, or cause war with you. SO ya lossing a war out of sea wityh island can result in total melt down lol

anno 2070 is one of the funnest city builder out there ATM IMO.  The only issue people have with it is it's a online DMR (doesn't bother me) just let you know

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#4 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

Anno 2070 - you start off in the open sea on a ark with a ship. there is islands and you must pick one to start your world. each island offers something different so you must decide and then use other islands to grow. and in the mean time there is NPC on other islands. Some of them is peaceful, or cause war with you. SO ya lossing a war out of sea wityh island can result in total melt down lol

anno 2070 is one of the funnest city builder out there ATM IMO.  The only issue people have with it is it's a online DMR (doesn't bother me) just let you know

FaustArp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FaustArp
Member since 2013 • 1036 Posts

The Witcher 2.  Great graphics, great story, great gameplay.

A must-play for any PC gamer!

jkhd831

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jkhd831

Thanks guys, I'll look into them!

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

These are the pc games that I reallyed enjoyed over the years grouped by category.

RPG:

• Legend of Grimrock
  • Reccetear
  • Titan Quest
  • Diablo 1&2
  • Fallout 1&2
  • Witcher 1
  • Bastion

FPS SP:

• Crysis + Warhead(Download and install CCC 2.21 with the custom lod for better graphics and performance)
  • Stalker Series(Download the complete mods for each)
  • Hard Reset
  • Metro 2033
  • Half Life 2 + Episodes 1&2
  • Portal 1&2
  • Zeno Clash(Shot but very engrossing and incredible melee combat system looks amazing as well)
  • Bioshock 1&2
  • Deus Ex
  • Bullet Storm
  • F.E.A.R

FPS MP:

• Team Fortress 2
  • Counter Strike Global Offensive
  • Left 4 Dead 2
  • Killing Floor
  • Red Ochestra 2
  • Battlefield 3

Third person Shooter

• Just Cause 2
  • Dead Space
  • Resident Evil 5

Action Adventure:

• Assassins Creed II
  • Batman Arkham Asylum

Online MP:

• Dota 2
  • Super Monday Night Combat

Strategy

• World in Conflict(Very action oriented no base building just build units and spends point on various types of artillery up to nukes fanatastic sp campaign and very fun mp)
  • Company of Heroes
  • Starcraft 2
  • Civlization IV
  • Tropico 3
  • Majesty 2

Platformer:

• Super Meat Boy
  • Braid
  • VVVVVV
  • Mirrors Edge

Music:

• Audiosurf
  • Beat Hazard
  • Bit Trip Beat

Horror:

• Penumbra Overture + Black Plaque
  • Amnesia the Dark Decent
  • The Path

Tower Defense:

• Plants vs Zombies
  • Revenge of the Titans
  • Rock of Ages
  • Dugeon Defenders

Adventure:

• Back to  the Future the Game
  • The Longest Journey+Dreamfall

Other:

• Binding of Isaac (Challenging rouge like with 2D zelda dungeon grid systems and 4 way movement and shooting every playthrough is diffrent and nothing is explained beyond controls you have to learn things by playing)
  • Wonderful end of the World
  • Katawa Shoujo
  • Aquaria
  • World of Goo
  • Minecraft

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

Just make sure your laptop can handle your new games.  Just because your laptop is new doesn't mean it can play everything at a good frame rate.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

a few additions.

Vampire the masquerade: Bloodlines

Call of Cthulhu: Dark corners of the earth (careful though since it is a tad buggy on newer hardware)

Reccetear

Amnesia: The dark descent

redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 redskins26rocs
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts
I highly recommend civilization v. at first it was a bit confusing but pretty easy to learn. I am pretty new to pc gaming also and it is just a nice game to pass time. The online is pretty fun with friends. I have also been playing the witcher 2, which is amazing so far.
jkhd831

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jkhd831

Just make sure your laptop can handle your new games.  Just because your laptop is new doesn't mean it can play everything at a good frame rate.

sleepingzzz

Its probably going to be an $1800 Sager, so I think it should be able to run pretty much anything.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Hey guys, I'm getting a gaming laptop soon and was wondering if you could recommend me any games  (from the past or present).  I like single player RPGs with good stories (ie Final Fantasy VII-X), open world/ sandbox (ie Skyrim, Just Cause 2), and life simulators (ie Sims 3), but am open to try others as long as they are great games.  I have a PS3 so I already have most multiplats.  Thanks!

jkhd831

Here's my recommandations, regardless of age. These games are easy to get into, brilliant and look good. I'll recommend some mods aswell (for bug fixes, improved graphics, etc., they are very easy to add and vital aswell, do not play without them). 

RPGs with good stories in general:

• (2004) Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (mods to add: Unofficial Patch version 8.5)
  • (2005) Knights Of The Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords (mods to add: Restoration mod. Disregard the console version, with this mod, it's a completely different game and vastly superior, with it, it is finished and complete)
  • (2007) Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer (the best story of this generation, no mods required)
  • (1999)Planescape: Torment (mods to add: Follow this wonderful guide, and add everything that's written. This game has the greatest story ever told, and with the mods looks really good and plays really well. Avoid it if you don't like to read.) 

Sandbox & open world RPGs:

• (2010) Mount & Blade: Warband (mods aren't required, but i highly recommend you check out the countless Single Player campaigns which are quality, and check out the multiplayer cRPG module which is brilliant)
  • (2003) Gothic 2: Gold (no mods required)
  • (2006) Gothic 3 (mods to add: The legendary Community Patch. If you couldn't stand the clunky controls of Gothic 2 (hope you can, it's a brilliant game), you'll be pleased to know the controls are much more streamlined here. It's not nearly as good as 2, but it's a great game with the patch, and a excellent introduction for a newcomer)
  • (2010) Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga (no mods required)

Action & Dungeon Crawler RPGs:

• (2012) Legend of Grimrock (excellent 1st person dungeon crawler with turn based combat, no mods required)
  • (2012) Torchlight 2
  • (2003) Temple of Elemental Evil (mods to add: The Circle of Eight Modpack)

Turn-based old school goodness 

• ('97 & 98) Fallout 1 & 2 (add the restoration project and a HD mod from this awesome forum)
  • (2001) Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magicka (mods to add: here's a good guide.The best role-playing mechanics ever, its standards for such has not ben reached. Practically a much more evolved RPG than anything out there. Play in turn-based mode.)

Now for some random genres of games that i love:

• To The Moon
  • Gemini Rue
  • Trackmania 2: Canyon
  • Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
  • Amnesia: The Dark Descent
  • Hotline Miami
  • Anno 1404: Dawn of Discovery
  • Civilization V + Expansion
  • Shogun 2: Total War
  • Sins of Solar Empire
  • Ceville