recommend me a mmorpg!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xliang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 xliang
Member since 2007 • 156 Posts

And i would check all of them out. Getting bored at home and being away from the computer world for quite some time, i have lost touch.
A little help would be great!

slabber44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 slabber44
Member since 2004 • 985 Posts

Most highly recommended on these forums that's still somewhat new would be Guild Wars 2. If your looking for free to play then I can't recommend any. Not really my fav genre.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#3 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

World of Warcraft is the definitive choice. If you prefer exploration go with GW2.

yummifullz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 yummifullz
Member since 2012 • 119 Posts

GW2 is f2p, once you buy the game. Any mmo that is f2p and doesn't require a single purchase is junk imo. You can't go wrong with WoW, at least not if you have friends to play with. The only time I didn't like WoW i was playing solo and got sick of the garbage that goes on when you're constantly pugging. EVE and SWTOR are another option.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Good F2P MMORPGs

• Vindictus- focused on action, great fun and a big community around it.
  • Dungeons & Dragons Online - this was my favorite party based MMORPG last i played a year ago. Still has a massive community, i recommend it. Once you join a guild, that's were the fun starts.

I've also played around with Lord of The Rings Online, but that was ungodly boring after about 30min. - 1 hour. There are people that love it though.

I haven't played it yet, but Guild Wars 2 is said to be the best MMORPG to buy. You only have to buy it once, it doesn't have a subscription.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

Star wars the old republic would probably be a good start...it's free to play plus its heavily story based so you can play it through like a single player game while learning the standard mechanics of an mmo.

Its not the greatest game ever and it's not exactly original but some of the class storylines are fun

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

gw2 is a solid game. its worth its full retail price probably twice over if not more. i happily paid for digital deluxe edition and would so again given the choice.

you pay 60 dollars (seventy for digital deluxe) and that sh!t is yours!

the game is fun, rewarding, and rarely ever feels like a chore.

its easy to get into as there is not set notch for a class to fill, everyone can do alot of everything and as a result you can actually take a party of all melee characters and actually do stuff, unlike say WoW where doing a 5 man dungeon without a healer or a ranged dps person would be classified as suicidal due to its tired old 2006 mmo framework and lack of anything to renew itself without making 9million + people VERY upset

ziggyww

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ziggyww
Member since 2012 • 907 Posts

And i would check all of them out. Getting bored at home and being away from the computer world for quite some time, i have lost touch.
A little help would be great!

xliang
I have yet to play it but Guild Wars 2 looks like the best option. You pay for the game then you dont have to pay for a subscription unlike other MMO which offer free to play but dont open the whole game up to you guild wars 2 will be full unlocked and you can do what ever anyone eles can do. Thats the reason im going to be getting it after christmas
jakes456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jakes456
Member since 2011 • 1398 Posts

GW2 flopped. The hype is long over. Game brought nothing new and did nothing for the genre.

WoW is the only option. It actually has millions of people playing and does things right.

Every other MMO is a waste of money.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
guild wars 2. no question.
Karpola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Karpola
Member since 2010 • 67 Posts

Guild Wars 2 has no drive after you get to level 80 and craft your exotic set other than explore which doesn't last long, pvp (if you're into it) or grinding mindless dungeons for cosmetics.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

Guild Wars 2 has no drive after you get to level 80 and craft your exotic set other than explore which doesn't last long, pvp (if you're into it) or grinding mindless dungeons for cosmetics.

Karpola
funny, how do you explain my almost 400 hours in a single character?
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

[QUOTE="Karpola"]

BrunoBRS

funny, how do you explain my almost 400 hours in a single character?

or my 381 hours

yummifullz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 yummifullz
Member since 2012 • 119 Posts

GW2 flopped. The hype is long over. Game brought nothing new and did nothing for the genre.

WoW is the only option. It actually has millions of people playing and does things right.

jakes456

Harsh, but i'm afraid he may be right. You just can't go wrong with WoW. Haters will tell u different, but if anything was going to be a viable mmo to replace WoW's fanbase it was SWTOR and that was a major letdown. RL issues are what caused WoW's sub loss.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
If you want GW 2, get it fast, stuff is going bad on all levels, both in game and with the company itself, even now you'll barely see players in a lot of low level zones despite its design to eliminate this problem. For the moment and future, there is only one viable option WoW, or maybe EvE if you're into space.
pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

jakes456

It brought a lot of new things, but what makes GW2 so good is the things it DIDNT bring.

OT:I am a fan of MMOS and the selection had gotten very stale, it was WoW clone after WoW clone untill Guild Wars 2 came along.

Guild Wars 2 is the best MMO out right now. WoW and every other MMO is "ok" until you hit max level and find yourself mindlessly running laps of a main city until you realize there is nothing to do that you havent already done a million times already. The most fun you can have in WoW is with a bunch of friends ganking people of the opposite faction while they try to do their quests, other than that its just a mindless grind to get money for better gear so that other people with even better gear can own you in PVP.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

Ultima Online. player ran server :)

Realmjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 Realmjumper
Member since 2007 • 840 Posts

Don't listen to the haters, Guild Wars 2 is la creme de la creme. There are plenty of people playing and I saw plenty of other players running around in lower level zones. You buy it once and that's it no more stupid fees.

World of Warcraft is good to but you gotta get the expansions for cheap when they have deal and keep paying monthly. Ask yourself do you want better gameplay? The combat in Guild Wars 2 imo is way better than WoW's.

Besides that they have live one time events like they had in mid November. The entire sever was there and we did a 3 day event culminating in a gigantic battle at the end and we all got loot for it. In Guild Wars 2 you don't get Ninja looted as everyone gets their own loot.

My pick is Guild Wars 2.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

Don't be fooled with all this "don't listen to haters, GW 2 is the best", you should know what you're getting into.

- The last event was a disaster of epical proportions, they let some "negative" threads on the forum for a few days then closed the event forum and now they are deleting almost every single negative thread and they also suspend people making such threads (not talking about the annoying whine threads about legendary precursors being awarded), they do that because they also have no idea what to do anymore
- because of those events they don't do what really matters and annoys the entire community since the game was released, bugs, ironically most of them are created by Anet (the only time it was bug free was the release and about a week or two after)
- another problem would be their way of making every zone viable, you don't get appropriate rewards in lower level zone, so nobody goes there even if they like the zone, only randomly to visit a few places or do some jumping puzzles
- because of that, you don't have people for events, they might be dynamic, but it doesn't mean quite a few of them aren't designed for multiple players
- another problem would be their financial status, getting (got a lot) worse, they were relying on selling in game stuff for real money from the start, with every event they try to shove a lot more of those things and it'll only get worse, you can also trade in game gold for gems, the conversion rate however is terrible right now (also getting worse) and they made farming impossible by nerfing rewards and drops in Orr "THE" farming place, they are almost forcing you to buy gems if you plan on gathering a decent sum for legendary crafting or something else (crafting in this game is not viable)
- since farming is a no go and playing in the world is also irrelevant after you're done exploring, all you have left, for riches and maybe some advancement, would be terrible, but good looking, dungeons (they just don't know how to design them, just like they didn't know how to get rid of dps/tank/healing entirely, just a mediocre hybrid party combat system glued by combo fields), they've been falsely advertising from the start "play how you want", when all they've done was to kill everything you might do, only leaving you with what they want you to do

The world is great, it's extremely atmospheric in places, has one or two fantastic characters, but it also has severe issues and it will only get worse, as I said, if you're interested get it now, not later, you'll regret it.