recommend me a good 3tb hdd please!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rogelio22
Member since 2006 • 2477 Posts

hey guys! im running out of room on my 1tb (down to 100gb) im looking for a new low price annd fast 4tb 3.5" for my pc. which one do yall recommend from newegg? and hows the easiest way in making it my primary drive? in other words copying all my existing data to the new hdd and making my current one my secondary since i dont wanna run into any problems with games on steam or other services! thanks for any help:D

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

hey guys! im running out of room on my 1tb (down to 100gb) im looking for a new low price annd fast 4tb 3.5" for my pc. which one do yall recommend from newegg? and hows the easiest way in making it my primary drive? in other words copying all my existing data to the new hdd and making my current one my secondary since i dont wanna run into any problems with games on steam or other services! thanks for any help:D

rogelio22

Go on newegg. Select 4tb HDDs and select the highest rated. Pick the top one and there ya go! as for how to set up hdds, that my friend is what google is for. plenty of guides out there. although if you run into any problems or questions feel free to ask.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN59W-56p3I

rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 rogelio22

[QUOTE="rogelio22"]

_SKatEDiRt_

Go on newegg. Select 4tb HDDs and select the highest rated. Pick the top one and there ya go! as for how to set up hdds, that my friend is what google is for. plenty of guides out there. although if you run into any problems or questions feel free to ask.

yeah i looked a few methods on google but everyone here seems much more reliable :) and i thought id get a lil extra help as for looking up the hdds on newegg i have but thought also get a lil more input on the matter! thanks

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 _SKatEDiRt_

[QUOTE="_SKatEDiRt_"]

[QUOTE="rogelio22"]

rogelio22

yeah i looked a few methods on google but everyone here seems much more reliable :) and i thought id get a lil extra help as for looking up the hdds on newegg i have but thought also get a lil more input on the matter! thanks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236353

This is the HDD that I would pick. call me a WD fanboy :) its not cheap but if alot of storage is what you want thats what it is. as for the whole installing and transferring data everyone on here will link you to a guide.

rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rogelio22

thanks^^^ that is a lil pricey but i also dont want a cheap one to die on me in a few months. ill probably end up going with that!

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

...it's a SAS drive

But 4tb are overpriced currently...you can get a 3tb for ~120$ and it would costs you more than the double to get the extra tb

rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rogelio22

...it's a SAS drive

But 4tb are overpriced currently...you can get a 3tb for ~120$ and it would costs you more than the double to get the extra tb

MonsieurX

yeah i just noticed thats different from sata? right? but yeah looking at the prices i see 3tb are almost half the cost! so now please recommend me a good 7200rpm or more 3tb sata hdd please! theres a ton more to choose from than 4tb.. are toshiba and seagate any good??? the WD ver. is over $300!!

Kendog87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Kendog87
Member since 2010 • 1111 Posts

Just get a WD 3tb green for storage.

rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rogelio22

Just get a WD 3tb green for storage.

Kendog87

arent the GREENS slower than regular hdds??? i need this as my primary drive for gaming. i hate to redownload stuff as it takes up bandwidth. i just like to have everything there when i need it

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148844

maybe this, this has the most review. 4tb is overpriced, you can practically grab 2x3 for the price of one 4tb.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 _SKatEDiRt_

...it's a SAS drive

MonsieurX

I wasnt wearing glasses. Im not even kidding. :O i thought he said 4TB

rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rogelio22

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]

...it's a SAS drive

_SKatEDiRt_

i was wanting a 4tb at first but i changed my mind as them been twice as much. so i changed the topic title aswell

rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rogelio22

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148844

maybe this, this has the most review. 4tb is overpriced, you can practically grab 2x3 for the price of one 4tb.

Bikouchu35

thanks looks good! is seagate better than toshiba? i

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 _SKatEDiRt_

[QUOTE="_SKatEDiRt_"]

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]

...it's a SAS drive

rogelio22

i was wanting a 4tb at first but i changed my mind as them been twice as much. so i changed the topic title aswell

Well the damage has already been done i went to a doctor

rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rogelio22

[QUOTE="rogelio22"]

[QUOTE="_SKatEDiRt_"]

_SKatEDiRt_

Well the damage has already been done i went to a doctor

lol! sorry!:lol:

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-7200RPM-Cache-SATA3-Drive/dp/B006KCX0UE
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Unless you have a laptop, why not just get another 1TB and add it in?

rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rogelio22

ChubbyGuy40

i dont wanna have to worry about space for a while! especially with all the games taking up more space nowadays... i think max payne 3 took over 30gbs!!! i know i could just delete em but id rather have em ready for when i feel like playing or when friends come and they wanna play a certain game

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts

I have a couple of these.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148844
I got one 9 months ago for $140ish and just picked up one for $90 on Black Friday. They are the two fastest hard drives I have (slower than my SSD) and I have not had any problems with them.

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

rogelio22

i dont wanna have to worry about space for a while! especially with all the games taking up more space nowadays... i think max payne 3 took over 30gbs!!! i know i could just delete em but id rather have em ready for when i feel like playing or when friends come and they wanna play a certain game

It is going to be more trouble than it is worth transferring the data. Keep everything you have on your current drive on your current drive and just add a second one (it doesn't have to be 1TB)
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

I have a couple of these.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148844
I got one 9 months ago for $140ish and just picked up one for $90 on Black Friday. They are the two fastest hard drives I have (slower than my SSD) and I have not had any problems with them.

Jacobistheman
Yeah that's the one I am looking to get for my new rig.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
Don't use a 3tb drive for your OS drive, get a SSD. The seagate 3tb hd is the fastest in its price range. There is a big drawback, 1 year of warranty. What a joke.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]Don't use a 3tb drive for your OS drive, get a SSD. The seagate 3tb hd is the fastest in its price range. There is a big drawback, 1 year of warranty. What a joke.

I will be installing my OS on the 3TB HDD. SSD drives aren't worth the asking price. Also it is only a big drawback if your HDD actually goes out. Not much of a drawback if your HDD last 8 years now is it.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"][QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]Don't use a 3tb drive for your OS drive, get a SSD. The seagate 3tb hd is the fastest in its price range. There is a big drawback, 1 year of warranty. What a joke.

I will be installing my OS on the 3TB HDD. SSD drives aren't worth the asking price. Also it is only a big drawback if your HDD actually goes out. Not much of a drawback if your HDD last 8 years now is it.

you are wrong
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts
[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"][QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]Don't use a 3tb drive for your OS drive, get a SSD. The seagate 3tb hd is the fastest in its price range. There is a big drawback, 1 year of warranty. What a joke.

Unless there is something wrong with your current hard drive just add the second. You can move all your games there if you want. I'm running a 1TB primary with a 640GB for my games (640GB is nearly full though)
metacritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 metacritical
Member since 2008 • 2537 Posts
SSD drives aren't worth the asking price.AmazonTreeBoa
just because something is expensive doesn't mean it's not worth the price. using an SSD as your boot drive will be a very good investment.