Recommend an RPG or two

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

I have been playing a heavily modded version (over 100 mods) of Skyrim Special Edition and I have been having loads of fun, but until the 64Bit version of SKSE comes out, the mods are a bit limited. I will always come back to Skyrim, but in the meantime while I wait for both the 64bit SKSE and the next Elder Scrolls game, I want a change of scenery and I have a desire to put my time into something else. Here are some highly rated RPGs that I have already played on PC:

Witcher III: Wild Hunt - Honestly, I am probably one of the few people who actually doesn't like this game. I have never liked Geralt- he has always been a dull character and the thought of playing as him for hundreds of hours is just not appealing. I really disliked the original Witcher and while the second was better, it still was not my cup of tea. Witcher III is a vast improvement in almost every area from previous titles, but again I am stuck with a protagonist who I highly dislike. I am also not the biggest fan of the combat system. The funny thing is, if Geralt wasn't the main character I would probably like this a lot more.

Dragon Age: Inquisition - This game is probably the worst of the entire franchise. After spending about 20 hours within the game I just could not get into it. The story was terrible and the characters were just as bad. There are definitely stunning visuals, but the character animations are pretty bad. That all being said, I did think that the combat was pretty good, definitely better than Origins and DA 2. After EA bought Bioware, their games just have not been the same.

Pillars of Eternity - Probably one of the most overrated RPGs of all time. While the story is good, everything else is just meh. The classes are are not balanced whatsoever, the loot system gives almost no sense of progression and the first 20+ hours of the game is an absolute snooze fest. Did I also mention that this game is plagued with bugs? Its a mediocre Baldur's Gate clone at best that doesn't even have half of the charm as the Bladur's Gate games.

Fallout 4 - Or as I like to call it, Fallout 3.5, which is definitely a great game, but it feels more like an expansion of Fallout 3 than a brand new game. I have put about 80 hours into this, but I really haven't got into modding this, but that could be a possibility...

ESO - Basically a generic MMO with a fresh coat of Elder Scrolls paint. I have put a little bit of time into this, but I am on the fence. I think the classes are terrible, the combat is also pretty wonky, but exploring the world has been fun so far.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - I would describe this as a hidden gem and this is probably one of my favorite action RPGs of all time. The combat is great and the story is pretty good, but I have already beaten this game twice. I am also pretty picky about classes and I would describe the classes of this game as pretty basic, but besides that I think its an awesome game.

Aside of the games already mentioned, I am open to suggestions.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

From the archives i recommend the following

baldurs gate

divinity 2 developers cut

divinity origianl sin enhanced edition

dungeon siege 3

two worlds 2 ( its terrible but its a good terrible. you always have to have a game where you are like wtf is this, but you keep playing till the end bcuz you caint believe it )

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@mighty-lu-bu said:

- Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2

- Older but good, STAR WARS: Knights of the Old Republic. Now there's an MMO that has good storytelling called The Old Republic.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12810 Posts

Dungeon Siege 3, Neverwinter Online (MMORPG), ELEX just released on Steam but I'd wait for reviews or some before you buy research because IMO it didn't show anything to hype about at least for me, Divinity Original Sin 2 just been released and I heard improved (sadly I'm not into turn based RPGs), Dark Souls games? if you're into it Nioh should be released next month on Steam as well, The Surge is another Dark Souls like game which I enjoyed more than Dark Souls.

EDIT: almost forgot Risen 1-3? would either go with 1 as the classic Gothic experience or 3 as the improved gameplay and graphics, I would avoid 2 unless you're into being a pirate.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12810 Posts

@urbangamez: I thought about mentioning Two Worlds the original because it has a cool upgrade items system and probably one of the best lightning effect and thunder sound, but TBH it's pretty mediocre RPG, so does the 2nd game.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

If you're really wanting to dive into a very deep, customizable and great RPG... baldurs gate or any of the AD&D series.

If you're looking for something quicker, a bit more light hearted with a turn based and character rpg style... one of the South Parks.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Does it need to have real time action battles? if not, Divinity: original Sin 2 is the obvious choice.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

@urbangamez: I thought about mentioning Two Worlds the original because it has a cool upgrade items system and probably one of the best lightning effect and thunder sound, but TBH it's pretty mediocre RPG, so does the 2nd game.

im gonna get the new dlc call of the tenebrae for two worlds 2 when its on sale and restart from beginning i started the game awhile ago but erased my save so i have to start over, the devs claim the game has been updated to hd so it should have even better graphics.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

Try Kotor 2.just make sure you get the latest version TSLRCM mod.(And either read the Story or play the first Kotor since some parts will become confusing in the 2nd one)

ocphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ocphon
Member since 2006 • 184 Posts

Try Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen.