Realistic Medieval RPG...?

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Were_Boar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Were_Boar
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
There actually is a medieval cRPG game (almost) devoid of magic and supernatural elements. It is "Darklands" (sometimes erroneously spelled "Dark Lands"), released in 1992 by Microprose. It is a true sandbox game set in XV-century Holy Roman Empire (modern Germany, Austria, Czech Republic and western Poland). The only supernatural elements are some mythical creatures (devils, ghosts, werewolves) that are very rare, and magic is replaced by alchemy (you can make a firebomb made of phosphorus or aa acid that will eat through enemy's armor or a lock, nothing that can't be achieved by modern chemistry) and prayer to saints (that may or may not be answered, depending on the particular saint and actions of the character). In other words, the game was meant to be realistic according to the mindset of medieval people. The game is dated but it uses hand-painted backgrounds and a lot of text, so still looks pretty well. Tactical combat mode is very pixelated though but hey, we're talking about a game that is almost 20 years old! It is also pretty complex (think toned-down 'Realms of Arcania' series) and the plot isn't obvious from the start but it is still interesting enough to give it a try. Especially if one is a fan of old games.
judahstarguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 judahstarguy
Member since 2003 • 261 Posts
Mount and Blade Warband is tons of fun.
xLittlekillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 xLittlekillx
Member since 2005 • 1833 Posts

I know it's been said a lot, but mount & blade warband is the best bet, and it's also one of the best games I've ever played. But make sure you get Warband.

EDIT: Argh, I hate when I post in a resurrected thread. Just make a new one, people. Holy christ.

Chabelis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Chabelis
I think I'll try out Mount and Blade after reading this thread.. I was going to say Oblivion or the Assassins Creed series (even though it's not an RPG).
klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#56 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

Realistic medieval RPG is pretty hard to come by these days. The only one that comes to mind is probably the Witcher 2 but that one has magic in it.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

This Mount and Blade game seems like a whole hell of a lot of fun. I am going to check it out.Wasdie

I read this, thought how the hell have you not heard of mount and blade wasdie...then i looked at the date. :|

Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts

Why is this thread still alive? :P

Stop this black magic, Wasdie!

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#59 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts

There actually is a medieval cRPG game (almost) devoid of magic and supernatural elements. It is "Darklands" (sometimes erroneously spelled "Dark Lands"), released in 1992 by Microprose. It is a true sandbox game set in XV-century Holy Roman Empire (modern Germany, Austria, Czech Republic and western Poland). The only supernatural elements are some mythical creatures (devils, ghosts, werewolves) that are very rare, and magic is replaced by alchemy (you can make a firebomb made of phosphorus or aa acid that will eat through enemy's armor or a lock, nothing that can't be achieved by modern chemistry) and prayer to saints (that may or may not be answered, depending on the particular saint and actions of the character). In other words, the game was meant to be realistic according to the mindset of medieval people. The game is dated but it uses hand-painted backgrounds and a lot of text, so still looks pretty well. Tactical combat mode is very pixelated though but hey, we're talking about a game that is almost 20 years old! It is also pretty complex (think toned-down 'Realms of Arcania' series) and the plot isn't obvious from the start but it is still interesting enough to give it a try. Especially if one is a fan of old games.Were_Boar

This, Darklands is the closest I can think of to a non-fantasy medieval RPG. The use of the actual historical setting rather than the typical Tolkien-esque setting helps set the stage for what was one of the coolest and most innovative RPG's made.

Devikn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Devikn
Don't curse me for being a necromancer, but: This topic is really useful, since I as well, am seeking for a Medieval or Renaissance RPG/Action game, but the suggestions so far are from OLD games. Do you guys have something more "recent" to suggest? I'm sure there are great games hidden by small companies, but that can only be uncovered by the help of forums.
Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts

Where will this foul necromancy end?!

SirHaaken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 SirHaaken
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Its been along time since anyone posted on this topic but I just happened to see it when I was searching for the same thing. I found a medieval historical game called "History Great battles medieval". It is focused on the hundred years war and the pc version has a jousting feature.
Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#63 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts
Another option might be Last Templar: http://www.gamespot.com/the-first-templar/reviews/the-first-templar-review-6314527/ I haven't tried it myself but it sounds like it might fit the bill for some.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
haha, so how many times has this thread been necro'd? i'm guessing it pops up on a 'medieval rpg' google search or something. also, i feel kinda cool - i was pimping M&B before it hit steam!
SaiSamara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 SaiSamara
I know one which isn't medieval but you WILL love it. Civilization IV You can choose which famous person (from history) you want to be Caesar, Hannibal, Genis Khan, etc. And you start at the stone age, protect yourself from Barbarians and research new technologies until you get to the modern world. You farm, you build every single building (unlike the boring lvl up, where the building gets number 2 but nothing changes, in its appearance). You create single units control them get ex points for every sigle units, that can pe used for Attack, Maneuverability, etc. And I can tell you you WONT get bored, you can play against a computer, or other players, you can even choose your map/country you want to be in! And if you set the graphics to High then you will be amazed! It is actually quite tricky, at first I thought it was quite a crappy game, the graphics were bad, but when I put them to High you could zoom in you could even sea the fish jumping, the bullets firing and the ships sinking. And yes you even have ships and can conquer other cities! CIVILIZATION IV IS THE BEST IN THE WEST, if you choose to be in the west that is! Sai Samara
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#67 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
[QUOTE="Mazoch"]Another option might be Last Templar: http://www.gamespot.com/the-first-templar/reviews/the-first-templar-review-6314527/ I haven't tried it myself but it sounds like it might fit the bill for some.

Bought it, tried it... **** it sucks. period.
Ineedthis366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Ineedthis366
Does anyone knows about an medieval RPG game where you first are just a soldier , but after battle you are promoted to knight.Then you get some soldiers and you give an oath to the king.You must pay tax , and obey kings orders, and you get land where you can build your castle.You can train your units and you can order them to do almost everything. You have resources like food , which you use for castle. Note: the game I search isn't Mount & Blade. I think it's released in 2009, 2010 or even earlier. Pls help!
Lord_Nas3k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Lord_Nas3k
Member since 2006 • 1492 Posts

I sense magic about... powerful necromancy...

Lord_Nas3k

Double necromancy, by the gods!

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts
Mount & Blade, but beware, the skill curve is very steep and multiplayer for Warband and WFAS is brutal, most that play it have practiced for hundreds of hours and will completely obliterate you when you're first starting off, don't get discouraged, it's very satisfying to actually kill someone in M&B multiplayer.
jorks97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 jorks97
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
a good game is mount and blade warband one of my favourites
pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#72 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

How many times has this thread been necroed? lol.

Emraldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Emraldo
Member since 2004 • 1959 Posts

a good game is mount and blade warband one of my favouritesjorks97
\

In the old fortress Gandalf, there is... a necromancer.

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#74 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
holy poop. why are these new accounts bumping this thread. is this some sort of sick joke?
Emissar2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Emissar2
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
"Conqueror: A.D. 1086" I suppose is a good game and "DarkLands" too.