Realistic Medieval RPG...?

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

old_archer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 old_archer
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Hi Gang,

I'm a newbie at gaming in general, but an "older" player, so please bear with me if I sound naive. Unlike many gamers here, I didn't grow up with computers and gaming and I have a lot to learn.

I have a BIG interest in medieval history (is my user name a hint?). I have a decent custom pc that runs Medieval 2 Total War so it looks amazing. I love the game graphics currently available...they are outstanding!

But, I can see that I'm not really into the strategy type of medieval theme games...managing armies and directing battle maneuvers, at least not on that kind of a scale. I really would like something more on the line of the RPG or Action RPG and with a strong medieval theme. The problem is that most games seem to be of the medieval/fantasy type and not the more historically realistic theme like Total War. I have hunted and searched through past, present and upcoming pc games, but really can't find much other than medieval fantasy RPGs with their dragons, fairies, elves, monsters, etc. etc.

So, my question is...am I missing a good historic and more realistic medieval theme RPG or action RPG? Or, is there a game that can be played without using the dragons, monsters and other mythical creatures so it can be a bit more historically accurate?

Maybe my wish is sheer fantasy, but please post me a note if you have any suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

NEOSPARKING

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 NEOSPARKING
Member since 2007 • 1264 Posts
you can try stronghold series but its not rpg but its really really Medieval for an rts game. Stronghold Crusader is in my top favorite games of all time and its dirt cheap now too. As for realistic rpgs I really dont think there are any since rpgs associated with medieval times always go along with these dungeons and some dragons.
Skie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Skie7
Member since 2005 • 1031 Posts

I'm not sure there's a whole lot (any) of non-fantasy, medieval RPGs. There might be a few that are fantasy-light, but I can't think of anything off-hand. You could probably find something similar to what you want in setting in text-based online RPGs. If you want something that's prettier, you're probably going to have to look at user mods. I think Oblivion might be your best bet for finding one.

For an FPS, you might want to look at the Thief series:
Thief: The Dark Project
Thief II: The Metal Age
Thief: Deadly Shadows

The Total War series is different from most RTS games. So, you could also try Age of Empires.

If part of the reason you don't want the strategy genre is because you'd like more time to plan your attack. There's also the turn-based strategy genre. I know Matrix Games has a good variety that tend to favor historical accuracy. You're also much more likely to find historically acurate games in the turn-based stategy genre than in any other genre.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
Unfortunetly I don't think you are going to find a Medieval type RPG without some sort of magic.
RikimaruKiode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RikimaruKiode
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
http://www.taleworlds.com/ Mount&Blade, the demo/beta lets you play to lvl 6.
wackys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#6 wackys
Member since 2005 • 1315 Posts
Well there is The Guild 2 and it's expansion.It's basicly an RPG of sorts mixed with Strategy.It's basicly sims in the medieval setting.I can't tell more cause I didn't play the game to a great extent.
old_archer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 old_archer

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions and comments!

It sounds like most of you agree that what I hope for probably doesn't exist at the moment. I will take a look at the other suggestions, though, and maybe I'll find something I like.

I wonder if there are any other RPG games that are 'fantasy-lite' but with good historical graphics that might be a compromise. I guess I could try one that isn't built too much on mythology.

It seems a bit odd to me that there are several medieval theme RTS and other genres that are historically pretty realistic, but none in the RPG or Action RPG genre. Maybe there is a good reason for it.....?

In any case, I really appreciate the help!

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
mount & blade isn't the prettiest or most polished game, but it's all kinds of fun if you can get into it. :) i actually really love the combat system in there, much more so than oblivion's. using spears from horseback is wtfpwn, more or less as it should be, i suppose.
pwilletts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 pwilletts
Member since 2006 • 881 Posts
There aren't many realistic medieval RPG's because just swinging a sword around and not having some abnormal force would be slightly boring.
reserati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 reserati
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
I think that Assassin's Creed will be out for the pc like next month. The setting for the game is Jerusalem during the crusading era.
Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

It seems a bit odd to me that there are several medieval theme RTS and other genres that are historically pretty realistic, but none in the RPG or Action RPG genre. Maybe there is a good reason for it.....?old_archer

It's never been established to be sellable to the mass market. The reason RTS' can be more realistic wrt the middle ages is that the life of a single knight might not be that interesting, but the life of say, a thousand knights, might be interesting in the time period in which they are fighting another thousand knights.

But if a realistic medieval RPG existed and got good reviews, I'd probably buy it. I mean, if the Sims can appeal to me, I can say I'm not glued to tradition (though I have been a "Sim" fan since Simcity)

bac_Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 bac_Alexander
Member since 2004 • 819 Posts

As 2 users already posted Mount and Blade. I don't know any other medieval RPG games without magic. It is not finished yet. Current version is 0.903 (basically 90% finished). You can try the demo (same as current full version except you don't pay money but you can only play till your characters get level 6 or you play for 20 something game days). I played the demo version 0.894 and it was fun, I spend a lot of time on it. You can buy the game now as well, it costs I think 25$ to get a serial key for the game, but because its only 90% finished the cost is 22$ I think.

Fun on foot combat and even better if you have a horse tofighton.Mounted combat is a lot of fun. There is no magic and levelingup does not make your characters overpowered, makes him stronger but not a terminator.

But you can't learn any history from the game like from Medieval 2. Graphic wise it is bit outdated but because of it people witholder computers can play the game and it allows combat 50 vs 50 and more.

The full version of this game probably will be released this year, hopefully.

gingerdivid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 gingerdivid
Member since 2006 • 7206 Posts
Mount and Blade is nearing completion, although it has dated sound and some shortcomings, after a while it gets immersive and it's combat is one of the best I've ever seen in a RPG.
banemind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 banemind
Member since 2007 • 122 Posts
try oblivion and maybe find a mod that replaces the magic and the continent with europe
old_archer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 old_archer

Thanks again for all the great feedback.

I will check out all the suggestions and ideas. A couple of you have suggested using Oblivion with mods, so I have to ask...What mods? Where would I find them and how much difference would they make? I took a look at Oblivion reviews and it looks like a fantastic game...it sure ranks high, but the stock game appears to be full of monsters and magic. If it's possible to mod the game to play without them, that would be cool.

In the meantime I will check out Guilds 2, Mount and Blade and anything else that seems to have some RPG or sim elements.

Assassin's Creed looks really interesting...thanks reserati!

I'm grateful for all of the help...!

bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 bogaty
Member since 2003 • 4750 Posts
You might want to have a look at Crusader Kings from Paradox Interactive. It's not really an RPG, but it does have some elements. You take the role of a kind of perpetual advisor to the throne of any number of medieval European states. You appoint vassals, broker deals between diplomats and courtiers, deal with the Papacy, arrange strategic marriages and the like. The character traits and personalities of the various nobles and diplomats are very detailed and it's quite fun to see how they react to one another.
old_archer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 old_archer
Thanks bogaty, I'll check it out!
ViperMelbourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ViperMelbourne
Member since 2002 • 25 Posts

Age Of Empires, Age Of Kings, realistic and true to Medievil warfare. RTS though. =)

ShotGunBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ShotGunBunny
Member since 2004 • 2184 Posts
I play lots of RPG's, and I actually prefer pure medieval-ism (is that a word?) over D&D style fantasy.
But really, there's a few good RPG's out there which put a much larger emphasis on the medieval aspect.
Divine Divinity and The Witcher come to mind.
I'm mainly talking about the feel of the game, that is, because in fact they've got just as many fantasy elements as other RPG's.
But actually, I often feel like a lot of people are missing the point of "fantasy". I've always seen fantasy as being medieval stories, but with all the bull about witches, mages and werewolves just so happening to be true. I think it's all about the context really. It seems most developers can't get that right.

BTW: The Guild 2, Knights of Honor and Crusader Kings are strategy games worth checking out, they've all got an amazing medieval atmosphere.
old_archer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 old_archer

Many thanks again for the latest suggestions and comments. This gives me a couple more things to check out.

As a newbie gamer, its really interesting to hear the opinions and comments about medieval games from veteran gamers who have experience with them.

wackys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#21 wackys
Member since 2005 • 1315 Posts
Well There is also Dragon Age from the masters Bioware that's coming this year.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#22 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
This Mount and Blade game seems like a whole hell of a lot of fun. I am going to check it out.
old_archer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 old_archer

"Mount and Blade" is on my wish list, now that I've had a chance to check it out. I hope its not ALL just slash and bash, but it's definitely a RPG type of medieval theme and it looks like fun. As some of you pointed out, the graphics aren't the prettiest and polished as some, but not bad either. It appears to be a pretty good role immersive kind of game. I found some video clips of it posted on Youtube by googling.

I guess it's not historically faithful to medieval times, but it looks like it's got a strong medieval flavor. It sure gets high marks from players!

Thanks be to the wise sages who shared this wisdom...

old_archer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 old_archer

I've downloaded the demo for "The Guild 2". Really charming with neat graphics BUT I find the costumes and environment to be almost more early Renaissance than late Medieval with their baggy pants and hat styles. I sure wish this had been themed a couple hundred years earlier...call me picky! I can see why they went from this into a pirates add-on.

I'll bet the play would bore a lot of you to tears, but as a newbie with high medieval interest I would still find it to be fun...just for the activity...kind of like playing in a medieval sandbox IF it was set a bit earlier in time! Darn!

wolf_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 wolf_gamer
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

There's an awesome, AWESOME, medieval game designed by an independant company in Turkey called "Mount & Blade" It has absolutely no fantasy elements in it, not even health potions. It's mostly a hack and slash, but you do get to join one of the warring factions and own and manage a village and stuff. Mount&Blade is based on very realistic cavalry combat that most games leave out or don't feature enough. It takes a while to master but once you do it's an amazing game. Very realistic and the scenery and characters are like what you would find 1000 years ago. It's so good and no one's ever heard of it. I can give you the website:

www.taleworlds.com

Check it out; I'm really trying to get people into Mount&Blade because it's so unknown and its such an amazing game. Paradox Interactive is a husband-and-wife team in Turkey and the full version was just released back in November, I believe. Please check it out. It's one of my top favorite games.

wolf_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 wolf_gamer
Haha I just noticed I'm not the first to mention it. It's such a good game I'm glad to see there are others who have recommended it. It's definitely worth a try, and the trial is free.
MadCat46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MadCat46
Member since 2004 • 1494 Posts
You sir, are a very powerful necromancer.
teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts

"Mount and Blade" ...I hope its not ALL just slash and bash

old_archer

it's not slash and bash. the combat system is almost a fighting simulator.

no magic, and RPG battle is never as real as in this game.

jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jedinat
Member since 2003 • 3560 Posts
This thread is a year old. The OP has moved to South Dakota, and they don't got no intranet therebouts.
vladjackguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 vladjackguy
Hehehe I like RPG medieval games too but is very hard to find good ones without fantasy elements in it.You should try the new release of Total War series "Empire Total War".If you like games with gun powder cannons and swords this is the game for you.Also it has naval battle.They are very cool improvement. I got to say that Mount & Blade is one of the best games.But you get bored easy after you finish it.Can't wait till the Warband expansion is released you can play multiplayer and and new shiny graphics are added
Wolffeye13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Wolffeye13
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Lemme put it like this: ANY computer gamer looking for a good medieval RPG, should look at Mount & Blade. It is the best game I've ever played aside from Oblivion. No magic involved, Mount & Blade is purely swords, shields, and bows. Crossbows too. You also have Mount & Blade Warband which is even better, and taking it a step further you could go for Fire & Sword but I believe that's only in russian. I've never had the chance to play it though. Everyone has their own opinion, but that's what I think is a simply amazing game.
Lord_Nas3k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lord_Nas3k
Member since 2006 • 1492 Posts

I sense magic about... powerful necromancy...

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Mount and blade is the clostest i can think of.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Doh!
cabose38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 cabose38
Member since 2005 • 1162 Posts

Wow this thread has been necromanced twice!

nathore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 nathore
Try mount and blade and mount and blade warband. no magic and very medieval
nathore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nathore
Try mount and blade and mount and blade warband. no magic and very medieval
darkfox101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 darkfox101
Member since 2004 • 7055 Posts

Wow this thread has been necromanced twice!

cabose38
Haha im loling
thespywholied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 thespywholied
Member since 2008 • 3358 Posts

Yeah Warband pretty much owns now. lol.

( Am well aware this is a zombie thread. :p )

Fusionmix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#40 Fusionmix
Member since 2010 • 1656 Posts

Curse you, necro thread!

Geosisnl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Geosisnl
Member since 2009 • 143 Posts

Definately try out Mount and Blade Warband. One of the best games I've played.

jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jedinat
Member since 2003 • 3560 Posts
A pox upon you! Begone vile filth summoned most foully from the nether realms! Begone I say!
corneliu9d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 corneliu9d
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Arise, thrice-dead topic! I've ended on this thread after many a fruitless search for a realistic medieval RPG. Let it be known that I've already played M&B. What I long to find is a medieval-themed RPG where the emphasis is on the feudal lifestyle. I suppose the game I want is a blend of RPG and sim, in fact. I'm interested in playing the game from different perspectives (serf, craftsman, small country noble, all powerful lord etc.). The game should portray well the politics, the maneuvers for power, but also the hardships of that time. A nice feature would be a dynasty/clan/family thing, having features like choosing an heir, fighting among possible heirs, leading a House to glory and wealth and the like. Before telling me what I want is The Guild, let it also be known that I've played it a bit, and although I find it enjoyable, it is a little too much Renaissance for what I'm looking for, and also too much focused on economy. I am well aware that there is no game that has all these features at the moment, for I have travelled far and wide across the Web and found nothing. But I would be thankful for games that have at least a part of the features I want. Thank you.
Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1

#45 Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

Good sir, truly, I bow to your necromancy skills. Yet you say you are not interested in strategy? If not I fear I cannot help you.

Reviving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Reviving
Boink!!, hey look this thread again!
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
[QUOTE="corneliu9d"]Arise, thrice-dead topic! I've ended on this thread after many a fruitless search for a realistic medieval RPG. Let it be known that I've already played M&B. What I long to find is a medieval-themed RPG where the emphasis is on the feudal lifestyle. I suppose the game I want is a blend of RPG and sim, in fact. I'm interested in playing the game from different perspectives (serf, craftsman, small country noble, all powerful lord etc.). The game should portray well the politics, the maneuvers for power, but also the hardships of that time. A nice feature would be a dynasty/clan/family thing, having features like choosing an heir, fighting among possible heirs, leading a House to glory and wealth and the like. Before telling me what I want is The Guild, let it also be known that I've played it a bit, and although I find it enjoyable, it is a little too much Renaissance for what I'm looking for, and also too much focused on economy. I am well aware that there is no game that has all these features at the moment, for I have travelled far and wide across the Web and found nothing. But I would be thankful for games that have at least a part of the features I want. Thank you.

This is going from my girlfriend's word on it, but she mentioned that Crusader Kings is a strategy game almost entirely focused on the family/political side of medieval life. There was no kind of direct combat/action AFAIK, but when you're talking about the dynasty/clan/family, heirs, etc., CK is supposed to fit that almost exactly. It's from 2006 or so, but you can't find it on Steam/GoG/Impulse. I think it's on Direct2Drive or something random, IIRC, and can be found retail from Amazon pretty easily. There's also a sequel to the game coming out sometime soon.
tantimariuta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 tantimariuta
Try Mount and Blade series.I think its perfect for you.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#49 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts
Try Mount and Blade series.I think its perfect for you.tantimariuta
Lame bump, seriously.
sami117

Forum Posts