This topic is locked from further discussion.

bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 bogaty
Member since 2003 • 4750 Posts

What are the most you've had to downoad one-by-one to get a file?

I am currently downloading a sound mod for Silent Hunter IV. The damned thing consists of 62 .rar files, each 256MB in size. Sucks having to download each in turn rather than being able to select them all at once.

Steameffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 Steameffekt
Member since 2008 • 4950 Posts

This is gaming related how?

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#3 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts

Why the crap would people create 60+ files that are that small? You'd think they'd combine them to get at least a few megs worth.

bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bogaty

Why the crap would people create 60+ files that are that small? You'd think they'd combine them to get at least a few megs worth.

Gammit10

I think it has more to do with the servers they host the files on more than anything else. They all seem to have maximum file size limits. It's not uncommon in the more niche type games that I like to play like hardcore flight sims and wargames. The forums don't have access to large bandwitdh or server storage, so they make due with free hosting sites and you're stuck with the file size limitations.

I hope this mod is worth it.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

A mod!?? That takes 256mb x 62 files thats a VERY big mod Im guessing is a full conversion. Download this program called Jdownloader it is a download manager that rounds all the links up for RS.com, MF, MU, HF. Some of them you will need an account or else it will take waayyy too long.

Avatar image for Sythedragon1985
Sythedragon1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Sythedragon1985
Member since 2010 • 64 Posts
If it's hosted on Rapidshare, and you're a premium user, bang them into Flashget.
bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bogaty

A mod!?? That takes 256mb x 62 files thats a VERY big mod Im guessing is a full conversion. Download this program called Jdownloader it is a download manager that rounds all the links up for RS.com, MF, MU, HF. Some of them you will need an account or else it will take waayyy too long.

Bikouchu35

Nope, it's just a sound mod that adds in a bunch of radio broadcasts from 1941-1945 that you can listen to when you're in range of an allied base.

BeavermanA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BeavermanA
Member since 2003 • 2652 Posts
As said JDownloader. Best app ever. Downloads from just about every file hosting site premium member or not, and can automatically extract your files when they are done.
Avatar image for RichardStallman
RichardStallman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RichardStallman
Member since 2009 • 1233 Posts
15GB for a sound mod?
JDBar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JDBar
Member since 2006 • 132 Posts

It's probably in so many pieces also because if it corrupts during download you don't have to download the whole thing again and you can just download the corrupted part.

bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bogaty

15GB for a sound mod?RichardStallman
Yeah, it's a bit nuts and it's only one of the guy's sound mods. If you grab them all, I think you're looking at something in the order of 45-50 GB.

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

[QUOTE="RichardStallman"]15GB for a sound mod?bogaty

Yeah, it's a bit nuts and it's only one of the guy's sound mods. If you grab them all, I think you're looking at something in the order of 45-50 GB.

that's just ridiculous.... i mean, i'm all for authenticity and stuff.... but that sound mod alone is larger than most existing games out there - and it's not even a core component to the gameplay.

da_bomb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 da_bomb123
Member since 2004 • 178 Posts

You don't have to extract each file individually. If the files are numbered sequentially (which they usually are i.e. r00, r01, r02 etc...) then you only need to extract the first one and the rest will extract automatically.

bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bogaty

You don't have to extract each file individually. If the files are numbered sequentially (which they usually are i.e. r00, r01, r02 etc...) then you only need to extract the first one and the rest will extract automatically.

da_bomb123

Yes, but you do have to download them individually. That was the sucky part but it's done now and I'm in the process of installing them.

da_bomb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 da_bomb123
Member since 2004 • 178 Posts

[QUOTE="da_bomb123"]

bogaty

Yes, but you do have to download them individually. That was the sucky part but it's done now and I'm in the process of installing them.

Ah my bad then. Yeah, most of my archived .rar files come through torrents so I don't have to deal with them individually =D

bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bogaty

[QUOTE="bogaty"]

[QUOTE="RichardStallman"]15GB for a sound mod?Jinroh_basic

that's just ridiculous.... i mean, i'm all for authenticity and stuff.... but that sound mod alone is larger than most existing games out there - and it's not even a core component to the gameplay.

Yeah, but now I can listen to the Great Gildersleeves while I torpedo Japanese merchantmen! That's worth 15GB right there!

(I have no idea what a Great Gildersleeves is......)

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#18 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

the bittorrent protocol makes downloading many rars simple. If he made that many rars, it might be because he also uploaded it on a bittorrent tracker. You should search up the mod on a search engine and see if it directs to a torrent.