RAM troubles :S!! :(:(

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Valve24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Valve24
Member since 2005 • 378 Posts

Okay, I have geil 1 gb dual channel. My brother gave me his RAM to bring it up to 2gb dual channel, its EXACTLY the same RAM. I put it in and turn on my computer and everything seems fine and vista runs and it recognises that it has the extra RAM, but after a while it blue-screens and restarts. I take the RAM out and it works fine. I know vista registers your stuff and whatnot, but I didnt think it was true for the RAM. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks guys

ch5richards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ch5richards
Member since 2005 • 2912 Posts

Do you know if you have installed the KB929777Vista update. When I first went to 4GB Vista would BSOD when started until I took out 2GB installed that update, then put the ram back in and everything was fine.

But I was never able to get into Vista, it would BSOD upon start, so you might have a different problem.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4402 Posts

Faulty RAM. Something is wrong with it...I couldn't tell you for sure what is exactly wrong because I don't know too much about RAM.

I'm not sure if it could be fixed or not.....I'm guessing not, but as you can already tell, your computer runs better without it because then you don't get the BSOD (blue screens of death).

Darkfire6247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Darkfire6247
Member since 2007 • 1308 Posts
What does it exactly say on your blue screen?
Also try putting the 2 sticks in the other paired slots of your motherboard. i.e. if your ram is currently in slots 1 and 3, try putting them in slots 3 and 4
Valve24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Valve24
Member since 2005 • 378 Posts

It restarts too fast for me to see anything on the blue screen. Purhaps I wasnt very clear; its 4 sticks of 512 - yeah, I havent updated in a while. They're not new, my brother just updated and I scavenged what I could from it. They did work in that computer before. I aprechiate the replies. :)

Edit: Okay, I swapped my brothers RAM with my ram (so there's still 1gb of RAM) to check if it is faulty. There aren't any blue screens when I just use this alone. :?