Rainbow Six Siege PC Closed Beta Discussion

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

My beta code just got mailed out and my client is downloading. Apparently the beta will be available until the 28th. Keys were available on a first-come first-serve basis a few months ago - then it became a situation where you had to pre-order for it, except for a recent Humble bundle offering the key.

Has anyone played it yet?

Any expectations?

I'm fully expecting the destruction to be nerfed in some way from what I've seen in the early footage, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. Always been a huge Rainbow Six fan, so I'll be disappointed if this isn't at least a fun action game.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

I've been in the "Technical Beta" which has been out for a week and I've been really enjoying it. Requires quite a bit of teamwork and communication for plays to really work. The destruction isn't over the top in my opinion, it feels just right. What I've really noticed though, you can't have the same plan due to both sides being able to check cameras so you really do have to keep planning even during the action phase. I quite like that.

Now when it releases I'll definitely wait for a sale. They'll need heeeaaapppssss of maps for the full price to really be justified, considering they're going against Counter Strike.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@blangenakker said:

I've been in the "Technical Beta" which has been out for a week and I've been really enjoying it. Requires quite a bit of teamwork and communication for plays to really work. The destruction isn't over the top in my opinion, it feels just right. What I've really noticed though, you can't have the same plan due to both sides being able to check cameras so you really do have to keep planning even during the action phase. I quite like that.

Now when it releases I'll definitely wait for a sale. They'll need heeeaaapppssss of maps for the full price to really be justified, considering they're going against Counter Strike.

I think they are releasing something like 12 maps on launch and then all DLC maps free. (I don't think Siege and Counter Strike are on the same category)

As for the game, it's enjoyable but not my cup of tea. I like more freedom with my shooters. Siege is VERY tight.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By KHAndAnime

Pretty poor day 1 for the beta. Their servers must be broke. Matchmaking doesn't work for myself or any of my friends in the beta. On top of that, I didn't get my key until 7 PM. Hopefully it's working tomorrow

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FelipeInside

@KHAndAnime said:

Pretty poor day 1 for the beta. Their servers must be broke. Matchmaking doesn't work for myself or any of my friends in the beta. On top of that, I didn't get my key until 7 PM. Hopefully it's working tomorrow

Same thing happened the first day with the technical test.

I just came back a few hours later and everything was fixed.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@blangenakker said:

How so?

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#7 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I feel like the price tag will kill this game. Its 80 bucks in Canada, for a multiplayer game...

It'll be the next Evolve/Titanfall, the community will fizzle after a month. Doesn't matter how good the game is, there are too many cheap alternatives to this for it to succeed at its current price point.

Haven't bothered with the beta yet, might download it this weekend, but based on the closed alpha I was in a while ago its decent fun.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#8 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17865 Posts

Those bastards didn't send me an invite. Must have been because I said I do not play CS:GO in the survey. They really want to get that CS:GO crowd.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By with_teeth26

@BassMan said:

Those bastards didn't send me an invite. Must have been because I said I do not play CS:GO in the survey. They really want to get that CS:GO crowd.

I cant remember how it works exactly, the beta access might be linked to my account, but if not, I can send you my key. Don't think i'm going to bother downloading the beta.

I'll know when I get home from work in ~5 hours if I dont forget ('ll probably forget)

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BassMan

@with_teeth26: Sure, if you are not using it, I would definitely like to try out the game. Just send me a PM if you want.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FelipeInside

@with_teeth26 said:

I feel like the price tag will kill this game. Its 80 bucks in Canada, for a multiplayer game...

It'll be the next Evolve/Titanfall, the community will fizzle after a month. Doesn't matter how good the game is, there are too many cheap alternatives to this for it to succeed at its current price point.

Haven't bothered with the beta yet, might download it this weekend, but based on the closed alpha I was in a while ago its decent fun.

Yeah, my friend loves the game (he came over to try the beta last night), but the full price tag puts me off from buying it.

It's good that it's releasing with 12 maps and then all future maps are FREE, but it should have been half price.

Hopefully I'm wrong the it has a strong community because it's a fun game.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

I am enjoying it.... That being said with it being a Beta and everyone being novice level I have yet to play a game where the Attackers have won the round.

Also haven't run into any performance issues or anything, its a solid game.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 blangenakker

I wouldn't mind seeing a match where all the players have mics and communicate.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FelipeInside

@blangenakker said:

I wouldn't mind seeing a match where all the players have mics and communicate.

Yeah true that. I think this game would be perfect with friends.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 KHAndAnime

I hope they extend the beta another day given the limited access on day one, plus I have a ton of work this week so zero time to play.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 with_teeth26

@BassMan said:

@with_teeth26: Sure, if you are not using it, I would definitely like to try out the game. Just send me a PM if you want.

I forgot as expected, however the beta access is tied to my specific account, so sadly I can't hook you up

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

Keys were available on a first-come first-serve basis a few months ago - then it became a situation where you had to pre-order for it, except for a recent Humble bundle offering the key.

Beta keys have been on Kinguin for months for only $0.50

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BassMan

@with_teeth26 said:
@BassMan said:

I forgot as expected, however the beta access is tied to my specific account, so sadly I can't hook you up

No worries.

@saintsatan said:
@KHAndAnime said:

Keys were available on a first-come first-serve basis a few months ago - then it became a situation where you had to pre-order for it, except for a recent Humble bundle offering the key.

Beta keys have been on Kinguin for months for only $0.50

Paying for a beta is wrong on so many levels.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

Love the game. It the first shooter I am considering buying for a long time. Apart from Rising Storm 2.

It runs as smooth as butter on one GTX 970 as well.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FelipeInside

Only problem I have with this game is that you spend more time waiting than actually playing. I guess it's the format but will they have different modes where respawns are quicker or something?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KHAndAnime

I played a little bit of terrorist hunt by myself. Is there no doors or anything like that? If there was any other Rainbow Six game, I'd take a silencer and the back door. But I don't see any silencers...or doors...so I'm curious if the whole point of this game to blow everything up and make a bunch of noise (hence the "Siege" aspect?).

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FelipeInside

@KHAndAnime said:

I played a little bit of terrorist hunt by myself. Is there no doors or anything like that? If there was any other Rainbow Six game, I'd take a silencer and the back door. But I don't see any silencers...or doors...so I'm curious if the whole point of this game to blow everything up and make a bunch of noise (hence the "Siege" aspect?).

You can take down doors by MELEE. Makes noise but not as much as a breach charge for example.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

Got a key, won't pass that "loading" 6 screen to start the game nore load the main menu.

Firewall didn't popped anything so.. yeah...

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Disappointing, no destruction like the demo... Can only place charges in predetermined locations... Grenades and bullets do limited damage to environment.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KHAndAnime

@Truth_Hurts_U said:

Disappointing, no destruction like the demo... Can only place charges in predetermined locations... Grenades and bullets do limited damage to environment.

Based on what I've seen, it does seem pretty nerfed compared to what I'd expect. All I've seen in destruction is pre-determined locations. Reminds me of that PS2 game Red Faction...except a lot worse :p

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FelipeInside

@KHAndAnime said:
@Truth_Hurts_U said:

Based on what I've seen, it does seem pretty nerfed compared to what I'd expect. All I've seen in destruction is pre-determined locations. Reminds me of that PS2 game Red Faction...except a lot worse :p

What do you mean no destruction?

You can make holes in most walls to shoot through and if you have a wall charge you can make even a bigger whole on most walls to walk through.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By KHAndAnime

@FelipeInside said:

You can make holes in most walls to shoot through and if you have a wall charge you can make even a bigger whole on most walls to walk through.

Only things I've been able to shoot holes through is clearly marked plywood, which is a just handful of walls, doors, windows in each level, unless I'm missing something...

I mean, there's destruction... but it's so little that it can hardly even be called that. Exactly like I said, seems like Red Faction, a last gen game, except way more limited in this game.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FelipeInside

@KHAndAnime said:
@FelipeInside said:

Only things I've been able to shoot holes through is clearly marked plywood, which is a just handful of walls, doors, windows in each level, unless I'm missing something...

I mean, there's destruction... but it's so little that it can hardly even be called that.

It's got the most destruction I've seen so far in a shooter.

If you have a wall charge it goes through most walls.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By KHAndAnime

@FelipeInside said:

Most walls? Or just the walls that are clearly marked plywood? I wasn't expecting to be able to blow up buildings in this, was just expecting levels where the destruction wasn't necessarily limited to a few plywood sections scattered over the levels.

You should try playing Red Faction 1 or 2. Or even Guerilla. Or Bad Company 2. These games are last gen, and the gen before that, and have much more fully featured destruction than what's in this game.

I've gotta be missing something. Maybe the levels included the beta are purposefully set up so that it's obvious what walls you can and can't shoot through? Maybe I didn't play enough.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FelipeInside

@KHAndAnime said:
@FelipeInside said:

Most walls? Or just the walls that are clearly marked plywood? I wasn't expecting to be able to blow up buildings in this, was just expecting levels where the destruction wasn't necessarily limited to a few plywood sections scattered over the levels.

You should try playing Red Faction 1 or 2. Or even Guerilla. Or Bad Company 2. These games are last gen, and the gen before that, and have much more fully featured destruction than what's in this game.

I've gotta be missing something. Maybe the levels included the beta are purposefully set up so that it's obvious what walls you can and can't shoot through? Maybe I didn't play enough.

I haven't taken notice to be honest which types of walls they were. I normally either shoot through them or put a wall charge on them.

Maybe it depends on what map as well? I noticed some maps have more destruction than others.

Doesn't matter imo, game is still fun even if they nerfed the destruction a bit.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 blangenakker

I like the level the destruction is. Its not over the top. Yeah its selective with what walls can be destroyed but a limit has to be made for balance and gameplay reasons.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 KHAndAnime

@blangenakker said:

I like the level the destruction is. Its not over the top. Yeah its selective with what walls can be destroyed but a limit has to be made for balance and gameplay reasons.

I got a chance to play it more (different maps, and the actual competitive modes) and saw that it's only the Terrorist Hunt mode that makes the super-obvious what's destructible and not, thus shattering the illusion of dynamic destruction. But once you get into the 5v5, there's no marked plywood, so it has the illusion and thus doesn't look bad given the gameplay elements it's serving.

So far, I think some of the gameplay elements are really silly (surveillance, insta-deployable walls, etc.) and other gameplay elements are nice (solid gunplay). Wish the graphics were a little better...but I suppose they were going for a more accessible game.