This topic is locked from further discussion.

judge__judy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 judge__judy
Member since 2005 • 2129 Posts

Can someone please explain to me how to setup software raid 0. I'm running windows 7 and have 2 500gb hard drives. I want to utilise the full space for raid. I converted both disks to dynamic but I still have the 50gb partition with windows 7 on it. I wanna wipe everything and install windows 7 fresh on raid 0.

Can someone tell me how I can do this??

freesafety13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 freesafety13
Member since 2008 • 823 Posts
you need to do a hardware raid0 for that. Which means you need either an integrated raid controller on your mobo or a raid card. If its integrated on your mobo, you have to set your ATA mode to raid before you install Windows.
judge__judy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 judge__judy
Is there no way to have your os installed on software raid 0?
freesafety13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 freesafety13
yes there is, you just can't do it with your boot partition. It has to be a sererate partion setup with dynamic disks. But you probably already knew that since you said your disks are dynamic.
judge__judy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 judge__judy
Since I first asked the question I have stuffed everything up and have to reinstall windows 7. How do I separate my boot section so I have minimum space in that partition? Should I install windows 7, setup disk striping and then install windows 7 again on the striped partition?
freesafety13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 freesafety13
no that wont work unless you want to do a dual boot of windows. just make a 50GB partition for the OS and setup multiple raid0, 1 for games and 1 for programs. Your os will run slightly slower but your games and programs will load faster. Make sure you dont put anything unnecessary on your os partition.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
I am not reading anything but on onboard RAID In Windows it's super duper easy. (I am assuming you mean you have an onboard RAID controller, like the ich10r RAID one built into Intel mobos, and AMDs have w/e) If you don't have any onboard RAID functionality, then software RAID for the OS is impossible on Windows. I did it for my Linux Server(Ubuntu 9.10 server) using mdadm Go to BIOS, select your hds for RAID, install Windows done.
judge__judy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 judge__judy
My motherboards a Gigabyte GA-EP43T-UD3L . Im pretty sure there's no hardware raid. Guess I'm gonna sell my 500gb hard drives and buy a 1tb then
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JigglyWiggly_
My motherboards a Gigabyte GA-EP43T-UD3L . Im pretty sure there's no hardware raid. Guess I'm gonna sell my 500gb hard drives and buy a 1tb thenjudge__judy
That is ich10, not ich10r, no RAID for you.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JigglyWiggly_

I thought you just go into BIOS and set it up before OS is installed? That's the normal way of doing RAID. This software RAID is first time I heard, yeah, I suppose that's the way before hardware is avaliable, but, I doubt it is any good.magicalclick
What do you think that Intel and amd stuff is? It's fakeraid, that is why in Linux, well any *nix, they don't see the RAID you setup in the BIOS, they see hard drives individually. Perf is exactly the same, if not better because of faster filesystems available that are not NTFS.