"Invalid Format" with HDMI

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by 6_Dead_360s (1664 posts) -

I have an Olevia 232 S13, and whenever I try to use it with my pc over hdmi, I recieve no picture, only a black screen and "invalid format".

The company went under, so no firmware updates can be found anywhere. All the ports are fine, the cable is good, and I've tried different resoulutions like 1280x720 and 1366x768. I heard it's a common problem and the tv isn't fully hdcp compliant, but people have gotten it to work with their xbox or ps3.

I have a xfx 5970, are there any settings or troubleshooting tips to get this to work. Using vga or component is not an option.

#2 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26256 posts) -

I've heard that AMD cards sometimes have problems hooking up to an HDTV for some reason. It seems that you're having handshaking issues.

#3 Posted by rastan (1405 posts) -
Definitely sounds like a handshake issue. Unfortunately, it is probably caused by the TV's early implementation of HDMI handshaking and as they went under, there's not much you can do except use devices that have no so such known issues with that TV. For all the benefits that HDMI brings in a one cable solution, the DRM issues between components and extra lag in doing the handshake and decryption can make those benefits not worth it. If you can try component as that should give you similar quality and no handshaking issues.
#4 Posted by 6_Dead_360s (1664 posts) -

I'll just go with a long VGA cable for pc use on it. I was hoping to use the tv for blu ray since it's in the only room that could implement surround sound properly. I guess the 23" monitor will have to do.

#5 Posted by tcunningham4 (1 posts) -
I know it's been awhile -- but for those who may be looking for the info This TV will only accept resolutions of 1920x1080 (1080p) and 1280x720 (720p)
#6 Posted by 6_Dead_360s (1664 posts) -

I wasn't ever expecting to see this thread again.

I did eventually find the firmware for my TV, and it resolved my issues.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/756206/olevia-32-2-series-lcd-hdtv-232v/1410

Unfortunately I no longer have the firmware myself, but anyone reading this that needs it may want to search that thread for members that still do.