Question about upgrading Vista to 64bit

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RiseAgainst12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 RiseAgainst12
Member since 2007 • 6767 Posts

Alot of people recommend upgrading to Vista 64bit if you are running 32bit (which i am) But it cost about £100 for the 64 bit version, and only slightly cheaper for the 32 bit.. so is there a cheaper way? I mean cause i am only upgrading my version is there a cheaper alternative.. or do i have to go and pay full price for 64bit.. cause that just seems like a waste of £100. May be a silly question I know.. but the way people on this board throw around that suggestion i am just curious if you are all loaded or it is alot cheaper than i think to upgrade it.

Bane_v2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Bane_v2
Member since 2003 • 6104 Posts
The cheapest way would have probably been Windows Anytime Upgrade, but you can't use it to upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit. I think you're stuck buying a 64-bit OEM disc if you want to upgrade. At this point I would wait and get the 64-bit version of Windows 7 instead.
RiseAgainst12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RiseAgainst12
Member since 2007 • 6767 Posts
[QUOTE="Bane_v2"]The cheapest way would have probably been Windows Anytime Upgrade, but you can't use it to upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit. I think you're stuck buying a 64-bit OEM disc if you want to upgrade. At this point I would wait and get the 64-bit version of Windows 7 instead.

Thanks. For the money it costs don't think ill be upgrading anytime soon :P Was just curious cause people suggest it like everyone is made of money.
chefkw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 chefkw
Member since 2004 • 2588 Posts

I think you're stuck buying a 64-bit OEM disc if you want to upgrade. At this point I would wait and get the 64-bit version of Windows 7 instead.Bane_v2

True on both accounts - you can't really get around having to buy the 64-bit version in one form or another. At this point, you should wait until Windows 7 comes out and buy your 64-bit version of that.

At this point, if you REALLY want 64-bit right now, try the Windows 7 x64 RC instead - Its free for unlimited use until March 2010 (when it starts shutting you down every 2 hours)

Bane_v2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Bane_v2
Member since 2003 • 6104 Posts
You can try the 64-bit Windows 7 Release Candidate as well. It's free.
Avatar image for Love_Hina_Lover
Love_Hina_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Love_Hina_Lover
Member since 2002 • 4381 Posts
You should check and see if the pre-order program is availble in your european region. You can get windows 7 upgrade for a much cheaper price.
rock_solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rock_solid
Member since 2003 • 5122 Posts

Alot of people recommend upgrading to Vista 64bit if you are running 32bit (which i am) But it cost about £100 for the 64 bit version, and only slightly cheaper for the 32 bit.. so is there a cheaper way? I mean cause i am only upgrading my version is there a cheaper alternative.. or do i have to go and pay full price for 64bit.. cause that just seems like a waste of £100. May be a silly question I know.. but the way people on this board throw around that suggestion i am just curious if you are all loaded or it is alot cheaper than i think to upgrade it.

RiseAgainst12
i have 32 bit vista as well. i'm not going 64 bit until a game i want recommends 64 bit/4 gb of ram. you should know you can't upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit without a clean install. why microsoft can't find a way to do it without a clean install is a mystery to me. but if you do upgrade vista to 64 bit and you already have a legit key for 32 bit vista..then all you need is a 64 bit disc. if you have a retail key, microsoft will send you a 64 bit disc for like $10 (you can order this on their site). if you have an oem key, you can use that same key if you get a 64 bit oem disc.
boostud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 boostud
Member since 2004 • 1242 Posts

Like the guy above stated.

Go here..

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033/ordermedia/default.mspx

$10 and your product key, that is all you need. Give them about a week and youll have it at your door.