Question about the windows 10 free upgrade.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jack00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jack00
Member since 2006 • 4265 Posts

Let's say that I have upgraded to windows 10 from 7 on my new computer, but later on say in 4 months, I decide to change the HDD for and SSD. Will I be able to upgrade my windows 7 again to windows 10 even tho the offer for the free upgrade will no longer be going ? Like, does it detect somehow that the CD key of the windows 7 has been upgraded before and let's you upgrade again or once the offer is gone, it's gone.

Thx.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@jack00 said:

Let's say that I have upgraded to windows 10 from 7 on my new computer, but later on say in 4 months, I decide to change the HDD for and SSD. Will I be able to upgrade my windows 7 again to windows 10 even tho the offer for the free upgrade will no longer be going ? Like, does it detect somehow that the CD key of the windows 7 has been upgraded before and let's you upgrade again or once the offer is gone, it's gone.

Thx.

Yep.

You can change anything in your PC EXCEPT the mainboard and Windows 10 will continue to work without any issues. The Win10 key is locked to your mainboard serial number on Microsoft Servers I believe. Makes sense too. If you change your mainboard chances are you're changing a lot of things on it as well so it will basically become a new PC, hence you would need a new license. Remember, this upgrade license is just that, an UPGRADE LICENSE connected to your current setup.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@jack00: you can't upgrade a fresh installed Win 7 after this month, what you can do is migrate your OS using "mini tool partition wizard" or create an image using "easeUS" and then copy that image to the new drive.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FelipeInside

@PredatorRules said:

@jack00: you can't upgrade a fresh installed Win 7 after this month, what you can do is migrate your OS using "mini tool partition wizard" or create an image using "easeUS" and then copy that image to the new drive.

He can't upgrade after this month but he can clean install Win10 on the same computer as long as he first activated Windows through an upgrade install.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GeryGo  Moderator

@FelipeInside: where should he find Win 10 install disc/usb stick without buying one?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FelipeInside

@PredatorRules said:

@FelipeInside: where should he find Win 10 install disc/usb stick without buying one?

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-media-creation-tool-create-installation-media-upgrade

He should of course create one and keep it handy. You never know what MS might do tomorrow.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@FelipeInside said:
@PredatorRules said:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-media-creation-tool-create-installation-media-upgrade

He should of course create one and keep it handy. You never know what MS might do tomorrow.

Mircrosoft has everything you need to create a USB bootable pen drive for Win 10...

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GeryGo  Moderator

@horgen said:
@FelipeInside said:
@PredatorRules said:

Mircrosoft has everything you need to create a USB bootable pen drive for Win 10...

I saw this before, never knew that you can use Win 7 cd key after upgrade to install it as legit able key.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

I saw this before, never knew that you can use Win 7 cd key after upgrade to install it as legit able key.

After update 1511 or so they made this possible... Now if only I could find mine.

jack00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jack00

Ok to sum up because you guys lost me... If I change my HDD for an SSD, and I need to install windows 7 from my cd, which I currently upgraded to windows 10, I won't be able to update to windows 10 again, is this correct ?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FelipeInside

@jack00 said:

Ok to sum up because you guys lost me... If I change my HDD for an SSD, and I need to install windows 7 from my cd, which I currently upgraded to windows 10, I won't be able to update to windows 10 again, is this correct ?

First, is your current Windows 10 install activated after the upgrade from Win7?

If so you have two choices.

1) Clone the HDD to the SSD. There are programs that do this but if you get a Samsung EVO SSD it comes with a clone program that does this for you. Advantage: Windows 10 stays the same, you don't need to install everything again.

2) Install a fresh copy of Win10 on the SSD. It should activate since your motherboard serial is registered with that Win10 key. You don't really need to install Win7 first.

jack00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jack00

Yes my windows 10 is activated. Thx again guys :)

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FelipeInside

@jack00 said:

Yes my windows 10 is activated. Thx again guys :)

Good to hear :)