Question about how exactly Windows 7 OEM DVD's work.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wopps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Wopps
Member since 2003 • 2373 Posts

So about 6 months ago I upgraded from XP to 7 and bought an OEM Win7 DVD from Tigerdirect. 2 days ago I just ordered a bunch of new parts to upgrade with including a motherboard and hard drive. I've tried looking online but can't find a definitive answer on whether I can use the same OEM DVD to reinstall windows on my new PC, or if I'm going to need to buy a new OEM DVD. Any help you could give would be great as I'd like to get this sorted out. Thanks

basher999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 basher999
Member since 2004 • 220 Posts

Ive used my OEM dvd twice so far... and the 2nd time it activated completely hassle free and automatically... I think MS has gotten to the point where you can install 10 times a year with an OEM disk before you have to call... I might be off on that number but for me 2 times and counting so far no issues

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

An OEM copy is meant to be tied to one machine. You are not *supposed* to use it on a totally different setup. Microsoft doesn't care as long as its on one and only one physical machine at any given time.

Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts
You might have to call the number and get a new activation code. Like was said, ms doesn't care as long as you are only using a single machine per oem copy.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

Tip: Windows didn't let you install it after having used the code before but they have since updated their activation process to allow it. That's why you're getting conflicting messages so as long as you DO NOT insert your activation key during install and then fully update the machine THEN activate you should have no issues. Heard this from my mate and I've done it three times now on the same code with no issues what so ever.

robertoenrique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 robertoenrique
Member since 2004 • 1191 Posts
I just activated my OEM copy for the 2nd time yesterday after changing the motherboard. All you have to do is activate it by phone. Be sure to say that it has only been installed on ONE machine.
adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

Ive used my OEM dvd twice so far... and the 2nd time it activated completely hassle free and automatically... I think MS has gotten to the point where you can install 10 times a year with an OEM disk before you have to call... I might be off on that number but for me 2 times and counting so far no issues

basher999
Same here. Changed both mobo and CPU at the same time and i was able using the same cd-key to activate windows 7 without having to phone MS. Just try it and if you have troubles try activating via phone