Problems with Star Wars Knights of the old republic II the sith lords (win 7).

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jonte135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jonte135
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I am trying to play KOTOR II on my Windows 7 64-bit computer. I am able to start it and create a character, but then after the intro the game crashes. I have looked around and found that I should replace the mss32.dll file which I did (vista fix) and also that I should turn off the music and videos. That's the problem, I can't find where to switch off the music and the videos in the game. I assume the music part is just to reduce the volume to minimum, which I did. But I can't find where to remove the videos. In the menu where the "Disable videos" should be, it's not. Any ideas?
I have even tried to edit the swkotor.ini file and edited "Disable Movies=1" and "Disable Intro Movies=1", with no luck.

I also have a Intel(R) G41 Express Chipset video card, is it possible to run the game with that? All the other reqs are enough for the game.

(I'm not quite sure if this should be here or in hardware discussion, but I posted it here. Sorry if it's wrong)

xxLordDavidxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 xxLordDavidxx
Member since 2005 • 685 Posts

Firstly, turning your volume to 0 does not disable sound. It simply makes the sound your speakers make get reduced to zero, however, the game still processes the sound even if you can't hear it. Besides, playing the game without sound seems entirely redundant.

Secondly, I've gotten this game working on my old x64 Vista system before and so I believe this to be entirely possible. That mss32.dll fix does often solve most problems though.

You might want to try the following:

1. Turn off UAC (Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Change User Account Control settings).
  2. Place a shortcut on your Desktop for the game if it's not already there, then right click it and select propeties. Go to the Compatibility tab and do the following:
  • Tick "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select Windows XP (SP3)
  • Tick "Disable visual themes"
  • Tick "Run this program as an administrator

Additionally: provided your using a legitimate copy, you could also attempt to use a cracked exe.

A last ditch attempt could be (if you have already installed the latest patch) to re-install the game and attempt to play without using the latest patch. I know there are some patching issues with the 32-bit version of the game and it is plausable that the same issues may exist in a 64-bit enviroment. If you haven't installed the patch at all then I suggest trying that if none of the above works.

However, it is entirely possible your integrated graphics are not sufficient to run the game. Despite being an old game, integrated intel graphics chips are often incapable of running the majority of games. You could try uninstalling your current Intel GFX drivers and installing updated ones from this link:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19784&ProdId=3048&lang=eng

Jonte135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jonte135
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Thanks for the response. How do I uninstall my drivers?