Power surges! Any potential damage? Please help

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Serioussamik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Serioussamik
Member since 2010 • 773 Posts

There was a power surge yesterday and voltages fluctuated enough for my P8Z68 V LE mobo to issue me a warning "Power surges were detected. System was powered off" sorta thing. My PSU is a Corsair TX 650 and I use an UPS that was plugged on to spike guard socket (sigh! so much for precautions and still the message).

My question is, did it fry anything? I checked the power readings (in mobo monitor) and they were 3.376 V, 5.080 V and 12.196 V with the CPU Core 1.112/1.120. Now I monitor occasionally and these were the same as the last time.

Anything I need to do to check if the PSU/Mobo suffered any damage? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

Moved to Hardware forum

Question is, do you encounter any sort of new problems or do you suffer from performance loss while gaming or anything alike? if not they leave it to be

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127525 Posts

@Serioussamik said:

There was a power surge yesterday and voltages fluctuated enough for my P8Z68 V LE mobo to issue me a warning "Power surges were detected. System was powered off" sorta thing. My PSU is a Corsair TX 650 and I use an UPS that was plugged on to spike guard socket (sigh! so much for precautions and still the message).

My question is, did it fry anything? I checked the power readings (in mobo monitor) and they were 3.376 V, 5.080 V and 12.196 V with the CPU Core 1.112/1.120. Now I monitor occasionally and these were the same as the last time.

Anything I need to do to check if the PSU/Mobo suffered any damage? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I assume that was the power readings at the time you checked. Thus not the spikes you may have encountered. I don't know what windows write down in its logs.. Which name it has in English I don't remember... Something similar to event log I think.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4  Edited By Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Recommended is 5% +/- for 3.3v and 5v. 12v is 10% +/-.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

If it still works, it's probably fine. Also the clamping voltages for UPSs are typically quite bad. So you may want to plug in a better surge protector in after the UPS.

Also AFAIK surge protection on motherboards triggers very early.

Serioussamik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Serioussamik
Member since 2010 • 773 Posts

Thanks for your replies guys.

@horgen- It was not a Windows log. That message was displayed on the BIOS screen.

@PredatorRules-Nope no problems in the last 24 hours and I played Far Cr 4 for 3 hours straight, but no new performance issues.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#7 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17865 Posts

Keep gaming my friend. No worries.