Possible return of Baldur's Gate....yay?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 attirex  Online
Member since 2007 • 2473 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/news/baldurs-gate-project-in-the-works-at-beamdog-report-6354851

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts
Probably a first person shooter for the PC, X360 and PS3
xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

To be pessimistic; it will probably be rather bad. I can imagine they're going to try and revolutionize it just like everyone else. Just what Mass Effect series, Fable games and Final Fantasy 13.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#4 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
Baldurs Gate 2 is my favorite game. I doubt it will be anywhere near as good. When so many people are confused by games like Dragon Age and Mass Effect (hell Mass Effect even has people who hate the second one because it removed all those great RPG elements like being able to collect useless look alike weapons, even people who defend complexity don't know what they are talking about anymore) I can't imagine a true sequel to games like Fallout 2 or Baldurs Gate 2 ever coming out (although it looks like X-Com might be getting a true sequel). But I can hope for a decent RPG game set in the FR Universe, if I get that I'll be happy. Just got to hope it won't be a FPS.
csftar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 csftar
Member since 2009 • 937 Posts
Reading the News, this seems more like Baldur's Gate Remake, which i'm okay with. But a sequel.... No, they'll never pull it off, they'll never beat Nostalgia. i wanted a BG3 back in the day, but no more. it's better if it stayed dead.
robertlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 robertlie
Member since 2003 • 866 Posts

I can't belive i'm saying this but; leave Baldurs Gate alone!!

csftar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 csftar
oh, this reminds me of what they were gonna do with Ultima 4 for the DS. it was Horrible. oh god, now i'm REALLY scared.
Jabby250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jabby250
Member since 2011 • 524 Posts

They're giving the BG series to a no-name company? Wonderful.

Jabby250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jabby250

Also on IGNhttp://pc.ign.com/articles/121/1219677p1.html

Jabby250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jabby250

Reading the News, this seems more like Baldur's Gate Remake, which i'm okay with. But a sequel.... No, they'll never pull it off, they'll never beat Nostalgia. i wanted a BG3 back in the day, but no more. it's better if it stayed dead.csftar

Could be... that was my initial thought too. Then again a 'remake' could very well play like an entirely different game.

csftar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 csftar

[QUOTE="csftar"]Reading the News, this seems more like Baldur's Gate Remake, which i'm okay with. But a sequel.... No, they'll never pull it off, they'll never beat Nostalgia. i wanted a BG3 back in the day, but no more. it's better if it stayed dead.Jabby250

Could be... that was my initial thought too. Then again a 'remake' could very well play like an entirely different game.

http://games.ign.com/articles/121/1219683p1.html "For years, I clung to the memory of it. Then the memory of the memory. And then... it returned. Better than it was before. " Ok, now THAT is what i like to hear. this pretty much implies it will be a remake(at least i hope so). that can be good, or bad, who knows, but if they keep the story aspects, characters, customization.... then i think they'll be just fine, and they'll introduce BG to a new generation. Now, if they pull it off... then i have only 3 words left: PLANESCAPE TORMENT. REMAKE.
Jabby250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jabby250

[QUOTE="Jabby250"]

[QUOTE="csftar"]Reading the News, this seems more like Baldur's Gate Remake, which i'm okay with. But a sequel.... No, they'll never pull it off, they'll never beat Nostalgia. i wanted a BG3 back in the day, but no more. it's better if it stayed dead.csftar

http://games.ign.com/articles/121/1219683p1.html "For years, I clung to the memory of it. Then the memory of the memory. And then... it returned. Better than it was before. " Ok, now THAT is what i like to hear. this pretty much implies it will be a remake(at least i hope so). that can be good, or bad, who knows, but if they keep the story aspects, characters, customization.... then i think they'll be just fine, and they'll introduce BG to a new generation. Now, if they pull it off... then i have only 3 words left: PLANESCAPE TORMENT. REMAKE.

Planescape: Torment remake? Easy, just give me a few blank pages! Trolololo. :D

csftar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 csftar

[QUOTE="csftar"][QUOTE="Jabby250"]

Jabby250

Planescape: Torment remake? Easy, just give me a few blank pages! Trolololo. :D

LOL (I Hate the emoticons of this place)
Fusionmix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#14 Fusionmix
Member since 2010 • 1656 Posts
Probably a first person shooter for the PC, X360 and PS3Mazoch
You and your party, sir, win 600 exp and 250 gp. But seriously, not looking forward to this. I just re-installed BG again and am recalling again just how many light years ahead of dross like Dragon Age it is. It hurts to think of what they're going to try and do. As much as I hate to say it, there is no place in this world for an Infinity Engine-style D&D game anymore. I just envisioned D&D 4.0 ruleset. Cringing is mine.
robertlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 robertlie

[QUOTE="Mazoch"]Probably a first person shooter for the PC, X360 and PS3Fusionmix
You and your party, sir, win 600 exp and 250 gp. But seriously, not looking forward to this. I just re-installed BG again and am recalling again just how many light years ahead of dross like Dragon Age it is. It hurts to think of what they're going to try and do. As much as I hate to say it, there is no place in this world for an Infinity Engine-style D&D game anymore. I just envisioned D&D 4.0 ruleset. Cringing is mine.

Heartily agree. I'd rather see something like what Bioware did with Dragon Age, i mean, make something NEW please! Remakes or follow ups to old giants like the BG series is just unnecessary. Just recently i joked about CD Projekt making BG3, and deep down i kinda still would like to see that despite my concerns. But i guess they would rather make something they could call their own, and they'd be right to think so.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

I feel like remakes of games just don't work too well. I mean what's the last good remake?

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

It could be just an HD remake. I don't think I would buy that. I'm perfectly fine with 2D graphics. I would only buy a new one if it was a true sequel. The game engine should be handled similarly to Diablo 3, make it 3D and look pretty but keep it isometric just like the originals. Keep the gameplay pretty much the same with a few modern tweaks, but have an all new story and a mix of new and old characters. Actually, it doesn't even have to be Baldur's Gate. Just anything in Forgotten Realms with a similar gameplay in a new game engine would be awesome.

XIntoTheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 XIntoTheBlue
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts
I'll keep an eye out on this. Will it ever be as good as BG2? Probably not. But it can still be a good playing experience. I am not going to pass judgment without seeing enough information first.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

I feel like remakes of games just don't work too well. I mean what's the last good remake?

Cwagmire21

Well, the developer that's doing this remake did do MDK2 HD. Its largely unaltered in gameplay with a large graphical facelift. If thats any indicator, it might end up well.

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#20 krazyorange
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts
If they switch it to 3D, there's a huge possibility of destroying any series fans' loyalties. Of course they would make it cross-platform, so we'd have to deal with the console trash tossed into the game. On the other hand, I was highly pleased with the way DA:O handled 3D, and imo it's the best we can hope for. But in all truth, I'd rather they just left it alone and let us replay BG2 again.
lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lordreaven
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts

The messages seem to change each day (including the one hidden in the code)

Jabby250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jabby250

Cwagmire21

Pirates! ?

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
[QUOTE="csftar"]Reading the News, this seems more like Baldur's Gate Remake, which i'm okay with. But a sequel.... No, they'll never pull it off, they'll never beat Nostalgia. i wanted a BG3 back in the day, but no more. it's better if it stayed dead.

Agreed on all of your points, but I'll take a remake, a sequel, or a prequel any day of the week. I love the BG series. :) If BioWare or whoever is going to screw it up (prequel or sequel), then we'll finally know if they can or cannot pull it off.
Elitro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Elitro
Member since 2009 • 578 Posts

OH

MY

GOD

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope i can live to see the moment a new Baldur's Gate is released, my favorite game EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WILL SELL MY SOUL TO SATAN SO THIS CAN HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Yes, i'm super excited)

http://baldursgate.com/ *goosebumps*

lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 lpjazzman220
Member since 2008 • 2249 Posts

the good news is...it may turn out to be really good...the bad news is...bioware=/=black isle...i hope its really good and they dont screw it up like they have their past few "rpgs"...not saying that mass effect is bad...its actually rather quite good...its just a bad rpg...

Manyac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 Manyac
Member since 2005 • 572 Posts

the good news is...it may turn out to be really good...the bad news is...bioware=/=black isle...i hope its really good and they dont screw it up like they have their past few "rpgs"...not saying that mass effect is bad...its actually rather quite good...its just a bad rpg...

lpjazzman220
Just like to point out that bioware made baldurs gate 2 and black isle published it. So not really sure what you are trying to say.
bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

[QUOTE="lpjazzman220"]

Manyac

Just like to point out that bioware made baldurs gate 2 and black isle published it. So not really sure what you are trying to say.

Still, in this day and age Obsidian would be the only mainstream dev i would trust making a proper d&d crpg. Bioware is a lost cause at this point.

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#29 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts
I thought it was a no-name company until I found out the lead is an ex-Bioware employee.
Avatar image for jacobhazard1704
jacobhazard1704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jacobhazard1704
Member since 2004 • 215 Posts

I thought it was a no-name company until I found out the lead is an ex-Bioware employee.Gammit10

The same thing was said about Hellgate London and the ex-Blizzard employees. I am excited, even if they screw it up it's not going to mar the experience of the originals. But I so badly want this to not suck.

RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts
You must lower your expectations before venturing forth. :P
robertlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 robertlie

You must lower your expectations before venturing forth. :PRyuRanVII

Haha! And Boo is gonna be a 5 bucks first day DLC. Minsc will be going: "Buy the DLC or Minsc will crush you, waaah!" every five minutes

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#33 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="Manyac"][QUOTE="lpjazzman220"]

bussinrounds

Still, in this day and age Obsidian would be the only mainstream dev i would trust making a proper d&d crpg. Bioware is a lost cause at this point.

I agree with this, 1000%. That extra 0 was not a typo. :P
Custodian405

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Custodian405
Member since 2003 • 1041 Posts

Im split on this... one part of me wants them to stay the hell away from BG1 and 2 because i just know that it will turn out to be a disappointment and ruin fond childhood memories while the other half of me wants to see the Docks District in 1080p and with 3d graphics. I know that it is extremely unlikely but imagine if they did NOTHING BUT update the visuals and the sound, more voice acting etc. No changes to the script, no changes to the story or any of the side quests, just modernize it. I know, "not gonna happen", but hope dies last.

edit: +1 to the obsidian thing. NWN2 was much better than 1 (especially Mask of the betrayer) and Kotor 2 had serious potential if it wasn't so rushed during development.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#35 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts
Never played a Baldur's Gate game but I know they're well regarded. Would like to see a new game I could begin with so I hope it stays true to the previous games.
MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

It practically needsa aDnD license to be any good.

Dragon Age featured Bioware's homegrown system and a clichéd enviroment/plot/cast that was uninspired as ****.

Making an RPG is a simpler task when you can focus all your energy on the adventure; rather than trying to trump a massively evolved and developed RPG system.

Part of what made the old Baldurs so good, was because the developers had most of the game design math, before they even started planning.

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#37 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts
Saw this on FB today: Seen this timer? Make sure you head over to baldursgate.com for an exciting announcement at noon pacific. Baldur's Gate baldursgate.com
jhalter1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jhalter1
Member since 2011 • 302 Posts
Grrrr, they better not mess this up or I'm going on a rampage.
Selkc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Selkc
Member since 2011 • 203 Posts

yay. baldurs gate 2 is my favourite game too.

ubergosu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ubergosu
Member since 2012 • 29 Posts
Only 30 minutes left!!!!!!
Jabby250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points