Polygon spikes, spears, and tears during gameplay

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Raphal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Raphal
Member since 2005 • 261 Posts
I've had my ATI Radeon X1900XTX for nearly a year and a half, and a few weeks ago, these "spikes" started popping up out of nowhere in nearly all of my games. It happens in a lot of my games like Crysis, Test Drive Unlimited, and Oblivion.

But most older games (and some newer games) don't do it. I really need to figure something out because it is starting to piss me off. I've tried raising the voltage on my card, which seemed to be a temporary fix, but after about a minute of gameplay, these spikes started up again.

Here's an example from Test Drive Unlmited:

Any ideas as to what causes this or how to fix it?
m2twkisfun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 m2twkisfun
Member since 2007 • 380 Posts
Maybe you should update your vid drivers, or roll them back if you have updated them recently.
TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 TrooperManaic
Member since 2004 • 3863 Posts
sounds like a memory defect, run memtest. It will take a wile to complete but it will let you know if you have any bad memory on that videocard, also it might find any defects in your ram.
Spartan8907

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Spartan8907
Member since 2006 • 3731 Posts
They're called artifacts, and a video driver update usually fixes the problem. Even if you already have the newest video drivers, sometimes a simple reinstall also fixes the problem. It did once for me.
m2twkisfun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 m2twkisfun
Member since 2007 • 380 Posts
I was having similare problems on my old 6200 with STALKER, a driver update fixed that.
liquidzero123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 liquidzero123
Member since 2004 • 7111 Posts

It could be artifacts like Spartan said. Mine took the form of lots of sparkling red dots in Doom 3, and white dots in Hitman Contracts. Having the latest video drivers and even rolling them back to previous versions did not help for me.

After hearing someone else having the same problem as me, they suggested underclocking the video card by 20Mhz. I underclocked my card by 10Mhz to 15Mhz and this worked for me, it removed 99% to 100% of the dots. I had an ATI Radeon 9800Pro 256mb when this happened.

Don't ask me the science behind why underclocking my card reduced the artifacts, because I have no idea.

BLKR4330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 BLKR4330
Member since 2006 • 1698 Posts

It could be artifacts like Spartan said. Mine took the form of lots of sparkling red dots in Doom 3, and white dots in Hitman Contracts. Having the latest video drivers and even rolling them back to previous versions did not help for me.

After hearing someone else having the same problem as me, they suggested underclocking the video card by 20Mhz. I underclocked my card by 10Mhz to 15Mhz and this worked for me, it removed 99% to 100% of the dots. I had an ATI Radeon 9800Pro 256mb when this happened.

Don't ask me the science behind why underclocking my card reduced the artifacts, because I have no idea.

liquidzero123

Your card was most likely overheating. Lowering the frequencies lowers the temperature. The TC might want to look into that too. Underclocking does cost you performance though so, if it is overheating, look into why the card isn't sufficiently cooled instead (it is not uncommon to be as simple as dust building up on fan and heatsink).