Poll: Which MMORPG?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ankaara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Ankaara
Member since 2002 • 2396 Posts
Help me choose.  Got a new system and badly want online play.
aBoard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 aBoard
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Just wondering, does anyone still play Stars Wars Galaxies? I'd go with WoW.
BloodMist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 BloodMist
Member since 2002 • 32930 Posts
Gotta go with WoW on that one.It's simply the best.
exds01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 exds01
Member since 2006 • 281 Posts
wow
cool_baller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 cool_baller
Member since 2003 • 12493 Posts
Runescape. *runs*
joestierman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 joestierman
Member since 2005 • 1320 Posts
i played starwars for a while (right after it came out), but then after playing WoW, you realize how bad it was. everything that plagues MMORPG's is in it. you have to rest for like 15 minutes in a camp to get back to full health and stuff, as well as getting all these healings when you get back to camp. WoW is like just wait 10 seconds and go. star wars was cool until more than one guy figured out how to be jedi. kinda cool economy system though, i'll give em that. but it's still all grinding and farming.
BenTheJamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 BenTheJamin
Member since 2005 • 927 Posts
WoW, no question about it
Ankaara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ankaara
What about City of Heroes? No one has mentioned that one.
Nerfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Nerfing
Member since 2007 • 1471 Posts
Lol, World of Warcraft 80%.
BenTheJamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BenTheJamin

What about City of Heroes? No one has mentioned that one.Ankaara

city of heroes is ok. it is cool because of the customization and flying but other than that it is nothing special at all. it does not hold you attention for more than a week 

BloodMist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BloodMist
CoH/V would be the second pick for me when it comes to MMO's.It can definitley be enjoyable if you are a fan of comics and you just wanna go around a huge environment kicking ass in a very cool looking way with a bunch of other players using very well balanced classes, it's fantastic for that.
Nerfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Nerfing
Don't forget Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning.
BenTheJamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BenTheJamin
warhammer isnt out yet bro lol
Sleepyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sleepyz
Member since 2003 • 3805 Posts

Wow not even a close race. And the basic game hardly cost anything and get a free month. Only get addon if your hooked and have a character getting to level 60.

Its so cheap to play it for a month how can you not try it? Should of seen insane ammount i spent when game first came out.

Nerfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Nerfing
warhammer isnt out yet bro lolBenTheJamin
It's coming out this fall and Beta is being given out, but not the full beta. The game focus manly around RvR ( an improved RvR, Realm Vs Realm combat ) in areas spread-out in 4 tiers equaling to 10 ranks. There are right now: Empire, Dwarves, Greenskins ( Orks and Goblins ) and Chaos with 25 classes as well ingame, each unique in combat.
Ankaara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ankaara
[QUOTE="BenTheJamin"]warhammer isnt out yet bro lolNerfing
It's coming out this fall and Beta is being given out, but not the full beta. The game focus manly around RvR ( an improved RvR, Realm Vs Realm combat ) in areas spread-out in 4 tiers equaling to 10 ranks. There are right now: Empire, Dwarves, Greenskins ( Orks and Goblins ) and Chaos with 25 classes as well ingame, each unique in combat.

I have every intention of getting that game... but I want something now :)
gam3r3OOO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gam3r3OOO
Member since 2003 • 1442 Posts
Help me choose. Got a new system and badly want online play.Ankaara
Get WOW. I wonder how many people have played anything other than WoW? I bet most of the people who voted, voted blindly (without ever playing City of Heroes or Star Wars Galaxies). I voted for WoW and I haven't played City of Heroes nor Star Wars Galaxies. WoW is incredibly popular so there will be many many people online with you. Not to mention it was made by Blizzard. Man anything Blizzard touches turns to gold. And they haven't released that many games either.
Nerfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Nerfing
[QUOTE="Nerfing"][QUOTE="BenTheJamin"]warhammer isnt out yet bro lolAnkaara

Actually, I have little info Ankaara on me, but you can visit the warhammer forums in gamespot for more information. Also they give out videos on youtube as well explaining more and more on the game within the weeks and months. It won't have levels like the tradition MMOs out there, It'll have tiers and ranks instead extending to about level 40. End-game is all about PvP. Everything in this game is about PvP and a little PvE on the side. You can gain loot, experience and points from RvR. There are also events where in each tier you can capture your enemy's city for a vast amount of time during the game. Mostly the whole game is about War really.
Nerfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Nerfing
[QUOTE="Ankaara"][QUOTE="Nerfing"][QUOTE="BenTheJamin"]warhammer isnt out yet bro lolNerfing

Actually, I have little info Ankaara on me, but you can visit the warhammer forums in gamespot for more information. Also they give out videos on youtube as well explaining more and more on the game within the weeks and months. It won't have levels like the tradition MMOs out there, It'll have tiers and ranks instead extending to about level 40. End-game is all about PvP. Everything in this game is about PvP and a little PvE on the side. You can gain loot, experience and points from RvR. There are also events where in each tier you can capture your enemy's city for a vast amount of time during the game. Mostly the whole game is about War really.

Other races will be added later and featured in Full beta as: High Elves and Dark Elves.
Shirley_Temple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Shirley_Temple
Member since 2006 • 5927 Posts
The inclusion of SW galaxies, and the exclusion of Guild Wars in the poll makes me want to throw up.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="Nerfing"][QUOTE="Ankaara"][QUOTE="Nerfing"][QUOTE="BenTheJamin"]warhammer isnt out yet bro lolNerfing

Other races will be added later and featured in Full beta as: High Elves and Dark Elves.

Yeah one thing I like about Warhammer specially Warhammer 40k is the unique setting and universe, which both Starcraft and Warcraft are hugely influenced by.

iwfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 iwfish
Member since 2002 • 25 Posts
Still playing EQ and EQ2 here although WoW is a nice change of pace.
Ankaara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ankaara
Yeah, my friend has most of the Warhammer books (and I mean both army books and some novels), both 40k and the original. He can't afford to buy the models, but he's totally into the universe. He bought me the Wood Elf and Lizardmen books and I'm starting to learn how to design an army. It's pretty fascinating.
food08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 food08
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
GUILD WARS MAN.... COME ON
GoreObsessed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GoreObsessed
Member since 2004 • 8883 Posts
I highly enjoy both Wow and City Of Villians.
laineter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 laineter
Member since 2006 • 815 Posts
World of Warcraft is the best choice bcoz in this game you can't be bored easily. It deals with lots of quest to do, stuff to kill and stuff to get. In here you can also have a battleground and you can choose which battlegrounds to do. :D
kodai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kodai
Member since 2003 • 924 Posts

Of the three games you list, I would say either CoH/V or SWG.  Ingore the first comments that somebody made on SWG.  That was the pre NGE (New Game Environment) version.  It's nothing like that now.  You do not have to camp to heal as it's like most any other MMO with heal over time.  Between the two, I'd go with CoH/V if you're really into Marve/DC type comics.  My view is that it's grind gets older than most MMO's because most of the missions use the same artwork so much that you tend to wear thin of the enviroment faster than most MMO's.  Now for SWG, you need to keep in mind that unless you go Empire it really doesnt have the Star Wars feel.  That being said, it's still a fun little MMO since the NGE replaced the old system, and if you have any other SOE games such as Ever Quest 1,2 or whatever you can play them all for one price, but at the new $29.99 price tag it may be a bit much.  Of course a single game still only costs a standard $14.95.  The main advantage with SWG is it's more or less geard for single player PVE, but still allows for PVP and goup play.  Most MMO's are setup the other way arround and kinda push PVP and group play on the players that want the best equipment and highest level.  WoW is a very fun game and plays well on most systems so you cant really go wrong with it, but the other two have the advantage of not being yet another fantasy based game.  I play all of them from time to time, but the MMO that keep me as a regular (mening 6 months or more at a time) are EVE Online.  And the soon to be released Lord of the Rings Online will have me for many years as I will be getting the lifetime account.  If you can hold out just a couple of weeks you can try the open beta for LOTRO or buy the game when it ships on 4/22.  In anycase, you really wont go wrong with any of the games on your list as they are all at the $20-$30 price tag (and SWG now comes with all of the expansion packs as well), offer plenty to enjoy, and have a lot of atmosphere that will let you get into the game.

trigun3x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 trigun3x
Member since 2004 • 1987 Posts
got a new system? check out Vanguard, might be better then when i first played it ( should have more people and fewer lag issues), and it should test your system out nicely
BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BounceDK
Member since 2005 • 7388 Posts
Out of those listed I'd go for CoH/CoV. However if SOE didn't mess up SWG I'd go with that one above anything else. WoW is just a grind fest.
Spoonoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Spoonoop
Member since 2004 • 178 Posts
Neither. I say Dark Age of Camelot. It's the best MMO in my opinion. It does have it's flaws, and it does get boring, but I always seem to come back. It beats the hell out of WoW...
GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts
Help me choose.  Got a new system and badly want online play.Ankaara
do you like fantasy? do you like Warcraft? then pick up WoW do you like to be a hero that save and help people? then pick up CoH do you like to be the bad guy? do you love to be evil? do you like to destroy and hurt people? then pick up CoV do you love star wars? do you love future? then pick up SW: Galaxies
sabru8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#32 sabru8
Member since 2003 • 4144 Posts
Help me choose.  Got a new system and badly want online play.Ankaara
WoW.....no question about it.
BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BounceDK
Member since 2005 • 7388 Posts
[QUOTE="Ankaara"]Help me choose. Got a new system and badly want online play.sabru8
WoW.....no question about it.

He is kidding of course.
bastila19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 bastila19
Member since 2004 • 551 Posts
GUILD WARS MAN.... COME ON food08
I have to agree.
MDDichard07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#35 MDDichard07
Member since 2006 • 284 Posts
I've played all three. I did the 14 day free trial with SWG, it was ok, but not very good, and I loveeeeee star wars. I bought City of Heroes and used the free 30 days that come with the game, really fun but not great. The ability to customize your character is great and ads a real personal aspect to the game. WoW is by far the best of the 3 and the only one i felt like giving my hard earned dollars to. Trust me and play WoW. If you do get WoW, Im on the realm Hakkar and my character name is Shelio (Tauren Shaman).
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

If you like running the same collection quest over and over and over, if you like socializing with 14 year olds, if you like an endless grind of upgrading your charcter's equipment, if you like extremely dull combat, poorly implemented crafting, and a myriad of other  time-sinks, by all means, play WoW.

On the other hand, if you want to play a fun MMORPG, look elsewhere. :o

BloodMist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BloodMist

Of the three games you list, I would say either CoH/V or SWG.  Ingore the first comments that somebody made on SWG.  That was the pre NGE (New Game Environment) version.  It's nothing like that now.  You do not have to camp to heal as it's like most any other MMO with heal over time.  Between the two, I'd go with CoH/V if you're really into Marve/DC type comics.  My view is that it's grind gets older than most MMO's because most of the missions use the same artwork so much that you tend to wear thin of the enviroment faster than most MMO's.  Now for SWG, you need to keep in mind that unless you go Empire it really doesnt have the Star Wars feel.  That being said, it's still a fun little MMO since the NGE replaced the old system, and if you have any other SOE games such as Ever Quest 1,2 or whatever you can play them all for one price, but at the new $29.99 price tag it may be a bit much.  Of course a single game still only costs a standard $14.95.  The main advantage with SWG is it's more or less geard for single player PVE, but still allows for PVP and goup play.  Most MMO's are setup the other way arround and kinda push PVP and group play on the players that want the best equipment and highest level.  WoW is a very fun game and plays well on most systems so you cant really go wrong with it, but the other two have the advantage of not being yet another fantasy based game.  I play all of them from time to time, but the MMO that keep me as a regular (mening 6 months or more at a time) are EVE Online.  And the soon to be released Lord of the Rings Online will have me for many years as I will be getting the lifetime account.  If you can hold out just a couple of weeks you can try the open beta for LOTRO or buy the game when it ships on 4/22.  In anycase, you really wont go wrong with any of the games on your list as they are all at the $20-$30 price tag (and SWG now comes with all of the expansion packs as well), offer plenty to enjoy, and have a lot of atmosphere that will let you get into the game.

kodai
Man, your post for some reason just reminded me of how unique SWG USED to be.Whether i was hunting down an inter-galactic bounty with my droids, running a base raid to destroy an Imperial base with 15-20 other Rebels, killing the piddly stormtrooper guards while flagged as a Rebel in Mos Eisley, being inspected by an Imperial probe droid for contraband(and usually either destroyin it or gettin the hell outta there on my speederbike), having a 50 vs. 50 Imp vs. Rebel fight, lasers and explosions goin off everywhere, shootin down some TIEs or some smugglers in my X-Wing, or just hanging out and shootin the breeze in a cantina, talkin to the dancing girls.....man....if SWG wasn't so dumbed down by the NGE, i'd still be playing it to this day.You wanna talk about a unique experience, SWG WAS one.I hope we get a game like it again in the future.
Nerfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Nerfing

If you like running the same collection quest over and over and over, if you like socializing with 14 year olds, if you like an endless grind of upgrading your charcter's equipment, if you like extremely dull combat, poorly implemented crafting, and a myriad of other  time-sinks, by all means, play WoW.

On the other hand, if you want to play a fun MMORPG, look elsewhere. :o

-wildflower-
I don't get it. What so different about WoW? Everything in that game has been used before by other MMORPGs. gawd.
MDDichard07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#39 MDDichard07
Member since 2006 • 284 Posts
[QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

If you like running the same collection quest over and over and over, if you like socializing with 14 year olds, if you like an endless grind of upgrading your charcter's equipment, if you like extremely dull combat, poorly implemented crafting, and a myriad of other time-sinks, by all means, play WoW.

On the other hand, if you want to play a fun MMORPG, look elsewhere. :o

Nerfing
I don't get it. What so different about WoW? Everything in that game has been used before by other MMORPGs. gawd.

the reason WoW is great is because of all the little things that make it great. Like different abilities certain races get (like a special stunning move for taurens or +15 to engineering for gnomes). Also professions such as mining, leatherworking, blacksmithing, jewelcrafting, engineering, skinning, enchanting, herbalism and more. WoW has so many little things that make a good game great. Trust me, World of Warcraft is the best MMO! There is a reason there are over 8 million accounts as of January.
Nerfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Nerfing
Still!!! That's nothing compared to all other MMOs in the past have done especially DoAC which they've copied some things from. Really, what's different?
Drak_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Drak_Major
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Guildwars should be on there LOL
AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Guildwars should be on there LOLDrak_Major

and Guild Wars 2 may be coming out next year :)