Please help someone who doesn't understand!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pageiszepplin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 pageiszepplin
Member since 2006 • 712 Posts
I am on track to buying a new computer, and I am trying to figure out what i want, but I am stuck at a graphics card. I have 4 gigs of RAM, 500 gig HDD, and two computers to choose from(both with those specs). Now one comes with the 8800 GT (512), and one comes with a Radion HD 2400 Pro. Is the 8800 GT good? If not should I get the GTX and install it myself?
Flinchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Flinchey
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
8800GT is not far from the best. kicks the crap through a 2400 (don't go there, it's not worth it) and oc'd the GT will perform at GTX level. at a fraction of the cost :)
pageiszepplin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 pageiszepplin
could I play like Crysis on medium with it? Or can it play games well?
fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 fynne
Member since 2002 • 8078 Posts
Crysis scales a lot better than people think. I'm playing it on a 2yr old Dell gaming laptop with very few stutters, although not at my laptop's native resolution. Your PC could run rings around me so I'm guessing that you'll get even better performance.
Flinchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Flinchey

could I play like Crysis on medium with it? Or can it play games well?pageiszepplin

8800GT does me Crysis, high/Very high 1280*1024.

that is everywhere bar the last part of the game (but nothing can run that well.)

8800GT does anything. it's a (small) beast. :D

pageiszepplin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 pageiszepplin

[QUOTE="pageiszepplin"]could I play like Crysis on medium with it? Or can it play games well?Flinchey

8800GT does me Crysis, high/Very high 1280*1024.

that is everywhere bar the last part of the game (but nothing can run that well.)

8800GT does anything. it's a (small) beast. :D

thank you
Flinchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Flinchey

no problem.

one suggestion. if going with an 8800GT. aftermarket cooling can be suggested, stock cooler is incredibly loud and not very efficient

zalman Vf900 or AC Accelero S1 w/120mm fan both do the job 30 degrees cooler and close to silently :)

kodex1717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kodex1717
Member since 2005 • 5925 Posts
Incredibly loud? My CPU's stock heatsing is far louder. I think the TC would do better to stick with stock and not void his warranty.
Flinchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Flinchey

Incredibly loud? My CPU's stock heatsing is far louder. I think the TC would do better to stick with stock and not void his warranty.kodex1717

it doesn't void warranty. as long as the GPU actually HAS a warranty (eVGA, ASUS, BFG, XFX etc.) there's nothing against replacing the reference cooler. hell, with those manufacturers, overclocking is covered under warranty. you could be stupid and push it well beyond any safe limit, have it fry... and then have it replaced free of charge :)

and 8800GT's fan at 100% has a very annoying whine to it (loud too.. it's an 80mm it's going to be loud.). and if it's not at 100% and you're playing a game.. odds are you're going to overheat and have problems. (stock fan profile SUCKS)