Planescape Torment dated?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shazaaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Shazaaman
Member since 2009 • 132 Posts

I just purchased Planescape Torment for 6 euro off of GOG.COM. I have heard it is one of the greatest rpg's ever, I was just wondering if it has dated badly?

It was a bargain so had to buy it but still wondering if the time to play it has passed by?

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

I just purchased Planescape Torment for 6 euro off of GOG.COM. I have heard it is one of the greatest rpg's ever, I was just wondering if it has dated badly?

It was a bargain so had to buy it but still wondering if the time to play it has passed by?

Shazaaman
I find it good. Also i think there are mods that increase resolution. But then again its just my opinion. Hands down one if not the best rpg ever ;)
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#3 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

If you dont mind alot of dialogue then youll probably love it. As Kal said, one of thebest rpgs of all time.

IZoMBiEI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 IZoMBiEI
Member since 2002 • 6477 Posts

the graphics are bad, the rule set is dated, and there is tons of reading, but its still one of my favorite rpgs.

ZombiezLovePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ZombiezLovePie
Member since 2008 • 469 Posts
http://thunderpeel2001.blogspot.com/2009/01/planescape-torment-fully-modded.html Go there to make it look the best possible. As for the game itself, eh. I heard everyone laud endlessly about it and decided to give it a try. I got about half way through, doing everything I could find along the way. It was ok, really dated and having a hard time trying to push myself any further on. Story is pretty entertaining, but not the way everyone seems to claim imo. Think this game is about the nostalgia goggles.
Moriarity_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Moriarity_
Member since 2011 • 1332 Posts
[QUOTE="ZombiezLovePie"]http://thunderpeel2001.blogspot.com/2009/01/planescape-torment-fully-modded.html Go there to make it look the best possible. As for the game itself, eh. I heard everyone laud endlessly about it and decided to give it a try. I got about half way through, doing everything I could find along the way. It was ok, really dated and having a hard time trying to push myself any further on. Story is pretty entertaining, but not the way everyone seems to claim imo. Think this game is about the nostalgia goggles.

I played it for the first time last year and I thought it was the best rpg I'd ever played.
Shazaaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Shazaaman

Cheers mate!

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
IDK the game was just too wierd for me to get in to or care about when it comes to a DnD rpg game.
ZombiezLovePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ZombiezLovePie
Member since 2008 • 469 Posts
[QUOTE="Moriarity_"][QUOTE="ZombiezLovePie"]http://thunderpeel2001.blogspot.com/2009/01/planescape-torment-fully-modded.html Go there to make it look the best possible. As for the game itself, eh. I heard everyone laud endlessly about it and decided to give it a try. I got about half way through, doing everything I could find along the way. It was ok, really dated and having a hard time trying to push myself any further on. Story is pretty entertaining, but not the way everyone seems to claim imo. Think this game is about the nostalgia goggles.

I played it for the first time last year and I thought it was the best rpg I'd ever played.

Could actually be that i'm not into fantasy settings as well. I still definately recommend this game to anyone that is into them though.
bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Game is amazing. Rule set is just fine and better than todays 4th edition garbage. Like someone said, there's hi-res mods for the graphics. It's a VERY heavy story/dialog driven game with very good writing and GREAT setting, so if your all about the combat, this ain't the rpg for you.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts

Personally, I think Torment has aged better than a lot of other games, precisely because it was all about the story and playing a role, and not about the combat. The combat is just another means to an end, but never the point. The graphics may feel dated, but those hand painted water color backgrounds are still gorgeous.

GOG has a mod guide that will improve graphics and vastly improve game play (squashes deadly bugs) without adding anything that might interfere with a good first-time experience.

Shazaaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Shazaaman

Personally, I think Torment has aged better than a lot of other games, precisely because it was all about the story and playing a role, and not about the combat. The combat is just another means to an end, but never the point. The graphics may feel dated, but those hand painted water color backgrounds are still gorgeous.

GOG has a mod guide that will improve graphics and vastly improve game play (squashes deadly bugs) without adding anything that might interfere with a good first-time experience.

ChiliDragon

Excellent! Great to know!

ArchonOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#13 ArchonOver
Member since 2010 • 1103 Posts

http://thunderpeel2001.blogspot.com/2009/01/planescape-torment-fully-modded.html Go there to make it look the best possible. As for the game itself, eh. I heard everyone laud endlessly about it and decided to give it a try. I got about half way through, doing everything I could find along the way. It was ok, really dated and having a hard time trying to push myself any further on. Story is pretty entertaining, but not the way everyone seems to claim imo. Think this game is about the nostalgia goggles.ZombiezLovePie

I played this game for the first time this summer, tied with Fallout 2 as my favourite game ever. The story was absolutely phenomenal, and left me thinking about it even today.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
Good writing and story, interesting locations and characters, but I found the gameplay (and more specifically the combat) boring, but I would say it's worth a play even all these years later.
PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
If you do decide to play it, I highly recommend reading through this article and doing what it says. It guides you through all the mods you should have and how to install them. http://thunderpeel2001.blogspot.com/2009/01/planescape-torment-fully-modded.html
bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bussinrounds

Here's an idea, get Planescape: Torment for the great story/dialog/setting/characters and get Temple of Elemental Evil or Knights of the Chalice for the great d&d tactical turn based combat. Or if your more of an action guy /gal when it comes to combat, get Dark Souls.

kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts
Yeah it's 'dated' really horribly, don't ever play it, please.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

It's not dated at all. With a high resolution the visuals look breath taking. The story has not ben surpassed, so ironicaly it's superior to most RPGs released out there in that aspect. The combat was crap back in 1999, and it's crap now, age has nothing to do with that.

Preferance is a totally different thing, i've seen people confuse themselfs over it. It's simply a matter if you like those types of games or not.I love reading because it's infinitely more immersive and satisfying than watching a movie.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Nope. However the combat isn't great, pretty bad actually. However the sum of the game is excellent.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Game is amazing. Rule set is just fine and better than todays 4th edition garbage. Like someone said, there's hi-res mods for the graphics. It's a VERY heavy story/dialog driven game with very good writing and GREAT setting, so if your all about the combat, this ain't the rpg for you.

bussinrounds

Why so much hate for 4th edition? I thought it was a huge improvement from 3.5 or 3.0 edition..

jettpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 jettpack
Member since 2009 • 3192 Posts

the writing and quests are not at all. the combat kindof is.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts

[QUOTE="bussinrounds"]

sSubZerOo

Why so much hate for 4th edition? I thought it was a huge improvement from 3.5 or 3.0 edition..

Most of my friends railed on it for streamlining, and possibly taking it too far. Stuff like wizards being functionally the same as any other class and memorization of spells being gone does strip a lot of the character from D&D, I'd agree.. but at the same time, our 4E games have been great stuff and a hell of a lot better balanced than the insanity that was 3E or 3.5E.
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
I don't think planescape torment is dated. The stuff where it is good at, has yet to be surpassed by any game. As far as combat is concerned , there were many better options at that time itself. In other words if you didn't liked it today, you probably would not liked the game when it was released (ignoring the bugs).
VVhiteVVolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 VVhiteVVolf
Member since 2010 • 88 Posts

I noticed at Fileplanet today that they have an article about how to play the game is widesceen :)

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bussinrounds

[QUOTE="bussinrounds"]

sSubZerOo

4e is MMO. Not for my taste. So maintream and so commercial, so wow like, it's not D&D for me (or the creator Gary Gygax, who said himself it was a bastardization) I still have fond memorys of the true red box

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts

It's not dated at all. With a high resolution the visuals look breath taking. The story has not ben surpassed, so ironicaly it's superior to most RPGs released out there in that aspect. The combat was crap back in 1999, and it's crap now, age has nothing to do with that.Lucianu

:lol:

So very, very true...!