This topic is locked from further discussion.

enriK233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 enriK233
Member since 2009 • 543 Posts

is 2.0 a lot faster than 1.0 x16?

I'm tight no money, i really need the cheapest mobo ever

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts

is 2.0 a lot faster than 1.0 x16?

I'm tight no money, i really need the cheapest mobo ever

enriK233
It's twice as fast, but it only comes into play at high resolutions. What's your intended target resolution?
Brainkiller05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Brainkiller05
Member since 2005 • 28954 Posts
I read there was only 3% difference at most. (I mean your game will run 3% worse than if you had 2.0) 2.0 has double the bandwidth but as far as I know no current single card requires that much :P or even close
Mr_NoName111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Mr_NoName111
Member since 2005 • 1035 Posts
If you intend to use a single card, it will make almost no difference. The real improvement is when you are using crossfire/SLI, as even when you split your 16 lanes into 2x 8, you still get enough bandwidth to fully utilize your cards. If you were to split 16 PCIE 1.0 lanes into 2x8, that could limit the video cards.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 HuusAsking
If you intend to use a single card, it will make almost no difference. The real improvement is when you are using crossfire/SLI, as even when you split your 16 lanes into 2x 8, you still get enough bandwidth to fully utilize your cards. If you were to split 16 PCIE 1.0 lanes into 2x8, that could limit the video cards.Mr_NoName111
(Hypothesizing; not likely here) What if it's a single top-end card playing at very high resolution (say, 30" LCD size)?
Mr_NoName111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Mr_NoName111
Member since 2005 • 1035 Posts

Well there is a bit of a difference, but I don't think the OP would consider getting a 4870x2 or a GTX 295 when he is trying to save money by getting pcie 1.0!

4870x2: (PCIE1.0) 19395 3dmarks, (PCIE2.0) 19525 3dmarks

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 HuusAsking

Well there is a bit of a difference, but I don't think the OP would consider getting a 4870x2 or a GTX 295 when he is trying to save money by getting pcie 1.0!

4870x2: (PCIE1.0) 19395 3dmarks, (PCIE2.0) 19525 3dmarks

Mr_NoName111

Curious. That's at what resolution?

PS. Were you attempting to post a graphic? Because I'm getting some odd things in your message.

rikguenther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 rikguenther
Member since 2007 • 329 Posts
it's just like SATA and ATA, sure SATA can handle a much higher bandwidth, but there isn't a commercial drive on the market that can honestly handle this maximum bandwidth. The same applies for PCIe 2.0. Much higher bandwidth, but the real limit is the actual speed of the card. You can have a 15 lane highway instead of the 4 lane, but if there's only 3 cars driving on it, what's the point?
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 HuusAsking
it's just like SATA and ATA, sure SATA can handle a much higher bandwidth, but there isn't a commercial drive on the market that can honestly handle this maximum bandwidth. The same applies for PCIe 2.0. Much higher bandwidth, but the real limit is the actual speed of the card. You can have a 15 lane highway instead of the 4 lane, but if there's only 3 cars driving on it, what's the point?rikguenther
Well, the put it in perspective, SATA did have one big advantage over ATA--more channels. Instead of four cars sharing two roads, each car has its own dedicated lane, and many mobos these days have at least six channels. Plus, with SATA SSDs starting to appear, those transfer limits are starting to be tested.
chadw_genx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 chadw_genx
Member since 2005 • 229 Posts
SATA was a huge improvement over PATA. More space in the case is always a nice plus due to the smaller cables and hot swapping is a nice bonus too. All that and faster speeds has made the ATA drives obsolete. 12% of the internal drives on newegg are ATA while 67% are SATA with the remaining 21% being SCSI. Serial was a huge improvement over the older parallel ATA interfaces as the serial mode allows for simultaneous data transfer. PCI-E 2.0 doesn't have that type of improvement over a PCI-E 1.x interface.
theragu40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 theragu40
Member since 2005 • 3332 Posts
SATA was a huge improvement over PATA. More space in the case is always a nice plus due to the smaller cables and hot swapping is a nice bonus too. All that and faster speeds has made the ATA drives obsolete. 12% of the internal drives on newegg are ATA while 67% are SATA with the remaining 21% being SCSI. Serial was a huge improvement over the older parallel ATA interfaces as the serial mode allows for simultaneous data transfer. PCI-E 2.0 doesn't have that type of improvement over a PCI-E 1.x interface.chadw_genx
Completely agree. PATA to SATA is a much more substantial improvement than PCIe 1.0 to PCIe 2.0.
rikguenther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 rikguenther
Member since 2007 • 329 Posts
[QUOTE="rikguenther"]it's just like SATA and ATA, sure SATA can handle a much higher bandwidth, but there isn't a commercial drive on the market that can honestly handle this maximum bandwidth. The same applies for PCIe 2.0. Much higher bandwidth, but the real limit is the actual speed of the card. You can have a 15 lane highway instead of the 4 lane, but if there's only 3 cars driving on it, what's the point?HuusAsking
Well, the put it in perspective, SATA did have one big advantage over ATA--more channels. Instead of four cars sharing two roads, each car has its own dedicated lane, and many mobos these days have at least six channels. Plus, with SATA SSDs starting to appear, those transfer limits are starting to be tested.

Yes, i didn't mention this quality of SATA. And I also failed to mention SSDs and the huge speed increases that can be gained from the non-moving parts. However, since this discussion was about PCIe 2.0 and until the technology on the graphics chip gets better there's really no reason to have the extra large bandwidth. I suppose it allows for future upgrades and the like but for right now there's nothing commercially available that can even come close to the limits of PCIe 2.0