This topic is locked from further discussion.

vicscrape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 vicscrape
Member since 2006 • 328 Posts
I just wanna ask what PC gaming magazine do you guys recommend for me. PC gamer is pretty decent. I haven't seen Games for Windows yet which looks kinda ok. Are there other PC gaming magazines out there that are better than these 2 that I have mentioned?
champmanfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 champmanfan
Member since 2005 • 256 Posts
I subscribe to PCGamer (DVD edition) so if you don't have a fast connection for downloading gigs of demo & mods, it saves you time & hassle but its sometimes a month late in getting onto the disc.

Try PC Format, or just go to your local newsagents & skim through the mags on sale there to see whats best :)
Dracunos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Dracunos
Member since 2004 • 1154 Posts
I love PCG so much. I suppose I've become much of a cultist for them, but I do reasonably trust their reviews, to a point. My own tastes are normally extremely unique, but I can always trust their words, if not sometimes the actual score. But not only that, but I've become pretty attached to the actual people in the mag, especially TheVede.. There's just a ton of personality, and it's just a fun magazine to read front to back, even if it's an issue that doesn't have a single game you personally are interested in (which is pretty rare, considering even if they somehow don't have a preview or review of a game you like, they have opinions sections for the editors, and one editor will talk about sims, one about rpgs, etc etc..)

Oh yeah, not to mention, they get a lot of
exclusives, to a point, and once in a while some exclusive demos.

But all that- keep in mind I've never tried any other pc gaming magazine.
 I'm pretty sure it's one of the most popular, though
Somebean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Somebean
Member since 2005 • 108 Posts
Yea, PCG is terrific, I love how they always have some exlusive review a month or so before the game comes out, and all the people are non biased and funny(as they should be)
akeanon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 akeanon
Member since 2006 • 93 Posts
I really, REALLY loved PCGamer for a long time, but I unsubscribed a year or so ago because I thought it was focusing more on a cult of personality than gaming.  Now, I just scour the newsgroups, gamespot, gamerankings, and rottentomatoes.com.  
kodai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kodai
Member since 2003 • 924 Posts

Well, IHMO if you live in N. America then PC gamer and Games for Windows are the top two.  Games for Windows is the new name for the older Computer Gaming World mag.  It really hasnt changed much and in fact I feel it got a tad better with the few changes it made.  The made logic behind the name change is simple.  As far as computer games the retail market belongs to Windows.  Even macs can run standard windows games now in realtime.  Since they use intel now and no longer need an emulator, they just install the OS native, and dual boot.  The linux attempt at getting into the game market never took off and all other types of PC's and OS's dropped off the face of the earth.  So Games for Windows it is.  One of the better improvements to the mag is getting rid of it's game score system (again IMHO) as they now quantify a games status by picking it apart and giving a less biased (not as in personal bias, but in test methods) review.

Both mags are good choices, and you really wont do wrong with either.  PC Gamer tends to have more info and interviews, but also tend to be a moth or two behind alot of releases.  This has improved over the past couple of years but at the cost of coverage.  At one point the average PC Gamer size was 250-300 pages and was well worth it.  Now its back down to about a hundred or so, but again at least it more timely with a review or interview.  

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58500 Posts
Ya, PC Gamer is great.  I subscribed to it back in the day, I really think I might start again.  I remember when their review of Halflife 1 came out, they made it look so cool!
wallydog63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 wallydog63
Member since 2004 • 209 Posts

I used to like pc gamer but lately there reviews have been way off the mark. So personally I wont trust them anymore. They gave Gothic 3 a good review and it sucks. The combat is sooooooo lame. Hear's just one example. The orcs have taken control of most the cities. They're beating up everybody, yet as a low level character I slaughtered a whole group of around 12 to15 of them with little problem. These are the guys that are supposed to be taking over the world? After slaughtering the camp of orcs I'll go and die fighting a giant bee or a lone wolf. I wonder if that bee could have wiped out that entire camp of orcs? What's wrong with that picture. No I quite the game cause it was so poorly made.

They butchered Dark Messiah. I ended up loving the game. It had some bugs at first, but they fixed that fast. No Chuck from pc gamer just had his head up his ass. No, I wont subscribe to them anymore. I tend to like Computer Games more. They aren't as big as pc gamer but they have better reviews. For the most part, I just stick to online gaming sites that are free and game forums to listen to real gamers and not some reviewer with his head stuck elsewhere.

sepheronX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 sepheronX
Member since 2005 • 1388 Posts
games for windows is good to read, same with PCGamer.
fatboyvinnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10 fatboyvinnie
Member since 2003 • 762 Posts
I think PCGamers the best since its reviews are the most informative
vorlon92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11 vorlon92
Member since 2006 • 378 Posts

PC Gamer is the best magazine imho (reminds me somewhat of PC Accelerator) closely followed by Games for Windows (old CGW).

vicscrape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 vicscrape
Member since 2006 • 328 Posts
wallydog63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 wallydog63
Member since 2004 • 209 Posts
Good god. Pc gamer hasn't had any good reviews in I don't know how long. I've been reading it for over ten years, and watched them slowly start to get worse. There reviewers have gone from good to amateurish. They focus on what they want and not what the readers want. Chuck has gotten worse with each issue and Deslock has all but killed the rpg section. The mans not a rpg'er, he's a fill in cause they didn't have anyone else. If you want to get it, well go for it, but bring a big shovel, cause thats about 80% of the mag.
Jack_Summersby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jack_Summersby
Member since 2005 • 1444 Posts
I miss PC Accelerator. Now THAT was a gamer's magazine.
susiloboyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 susiloboyo
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
LEVEL magz
Deinonych

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Deinonych
Member since 2002 • 142 Posts
Another vote for PCGamer here.  I also enjoy Games for Windows magazine (formerly Computer Gaming World).

Maximum PC is really good if you're into the hardware side of things.
phatkav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 phatkav
Member since 2005 • 1357 Posts
I haven't read Games for Windows so Ic an't tell if they are good or not. However PC Gamer is a really good magazine. I enjoy there reviews and they are not boring like other magazines/websites.
Avatar image for Rockin_MixMasta
Rockin_MixMasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Rockin_MixMasta
Member since 2004 • 3427 Posts
I've subscribed myself to GFW after purchasing 2 copies of it. I find it to be somewhat entertaining and informative. There may be a few too many WoW ads, but I think I can survive. Just reading their last article on Left 4 Dead got me more excited than most of the videos have.
Ebougile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ebougile
Member since 2005 • 2168 Posts
Although I do have some personal dislike for Logan Decker, I prefer PC Gamer magazine.  It's pretty cool those guys have both an audio and video podcast on the web.  Games For Windows is simply Computer Gaming World renamed, and they're OK too.  I do have respect for Computer Games magazine because of how they handled their Doom 3 review, but I don't see that magazine around very much.