This topic is locked from further discussion.

garak0410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 garak0410
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
I did a search and didn't see anything recent about this...but...is PC gaming dying or going through a transition? I noticed that I can't get a decent, newer baseball game, college football is no longer on the PC and that a new Star Wars game will be console only. What gives?
el_carl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 el_carl
Member since 2006 • 2376 Posts
Its going through some big changes. But pc gaming is growing in my opinion. DX10 and Vista have some bugs, but they're being worked out. Its a great year to be a pc gamer.
Avatar image for Chocoholic_Jedi
Chocoholic_Jedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Chocoholic_Jedi
Member since 2005 • 234 Posts
I agree. We should see some interesting stuff this year.
Avatar image for dreamandday3164
dreamandday3164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dreamandday3164
Member since 2007 • 70 Posts
No, in my opinion it is growing. Some people say it's dying because of all the lame ports and the next gen consols and such.
Jack_Summersby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jack_Summersby
Member since 2005 • 1444 Posts
PC gaming will be dead by the next generation of consoles.  All they have to do is allow a keyboard and mouse (or something comparable) and it's by by PC gaming.
kpsting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kpsting
Member since 2005 • 2452 Posts
more emphasis is gonna be put on physics and AI. that's the future.
Shadow-Eagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Shadow-Eagle
Member since 2004 • 953 Posts
Aside from sports and non-RTS Star Wars games, PC gaming is growing imo and 2007 looks to be a great year, especially with DX10 out.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#8 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
well some genres haven't been booming on PC including sports, racing, fighting etc. RTS FPS, RPG are going strong Games for windows and xbox 360 should in my opinion allow for more cross platform and hopefully more of the dying genre s in PC gaming because of the controller support. Whether that happens remains to be seen. If you are after sports games pretty much exclusively then I'd just go out and buy a 360.
nic0008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nic0008
Member since 2006 • 250 Posts
It'll boom soon when companys start to take advantage of DX10 and Vista (which they are starting to do and accomplish). PC gaming can only get stronger in the next few years with titles like Quake wars, Hellgate: london, Spore, UT3 and many many more games coming out in the distanced future.
t0adphr0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 t0adphr0g
Member since 2006 • 882 Posts

PC gaming will be dead by the next generation of consoles.  All they have to do is allow a keyboard and mouse (or something comparable) and it's by by PC gaming.Jack_Summersby

Sorry mate, there will always be PC gaming.  With the increase in processor cores, with SLI and Crossfire videocard sets, and with harddrives getting close to terabyte sizes, people are not going to use these monsters to do email and their tax returns.  Consoles are fun, but compared to a PC. It would be as comparing a kid's skateboard to a multi-billion dollar space station. 

JigenD2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JigenD2
Member since 2005 • 1808 Posts
The quality and quantity of PC games have been drastically reduced recently.  Beyond that, all the transition issues are far from ironed out (Vista bugs, driver issues).

Heck, the fact that there's seperate 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Vista pretty much guarantees that only 32-bit will get support for the next ~5 years.  64-bit will work, but won't be taken advantage of.

PC gaming might make a comeback, but no time soon.
lionheart22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lionheart22
Member since 2007 • 551 Posts
I would go as far as saying this will be the biggest year of changes for pc gaming and pc hardware
artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 artur79
Member since 2005 • 4679 Posts

[QUOTE="Jack_Summersby"]PC gaming will be dead by the next generation of consoles.  All they have to do is allow a keyboard and mouse (or something comparable) and it's by by PC gaming.t0adphr0g

Sorry mate, there will always be PC gaming.  With the increase in processor cores, with SLI and Crossfire videocard sets, and with harddrives getting close to terabyte sizes, people are not going to use these monsters to do email and their tax returns.  Consoles are fun, but compared to a PC. It would be as comparing a kid's skateboard to a multi-billion dollar space station. 

Eh... not the best comparison IMO...
smghottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 smghottie
Member since 2003 • 276 Posts
No PC gaming is not dying. First of all, PC gaming is done by people who have the cash to continually update their computer. If you don't have the cash, then stick with the console. Most people out there have no idea how to work on computers, and even what the most basic parts are. That is fact. Second of all, consoles will probably not be adding mice and keyboards, but what they will be doing, is compromising with PC's, and will be set up so you can use them together. Such is the case with Windows Vista and the 360. There are a few things you can do with them together, such as music transfer and lan connection. Clearly you can tell that consoles aren't just 'stick the disc in and play' like they used to be. 360 and PS3 have shown us what consoles are capable of. But instead of saying consoles would take over, the more likely scenario is that within the next 20 years, they will combine and mold into something entirely different. We won't be looking to go out and get the 720 or the PS4, we would have a system that can run applications and type your homework on, and a system that can bust out games. You cannot think so single-mindedly about technology, there is always more than one way for things to happen, and i think its ridiculous to say that consoles are going to kill the PC, and turn it into something from a museum.
GenghisChris82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GenghisChris82
Member since 2006 • 221 Posts
My opinion is that pc gaming isn't dying but it it slowing down, I belive a lot of developers are frustrated at p2p sharing. I mean you can litterally download any game for free. so why develop for a machine if 80% of players wont pay for it, I see that as the reasonconsoles are getting more exclusives than ever. could be wrong though
A-S_FM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 A-S_FM
Member since 2004 • 2208 Posts
2006 saw the launch of two new consoles and the backdraft from a third, which caused a lot of publishers to try and sponge in as much profit as they could with those mega-selling-even-if-rubbish-just-because-people-need-games launch titles, meaning pc gaming got pushed aside a little

there was also an impending new directx and operating system looming over every pc game on the horizon, which caused developers to put a lot of their work on hold for several reasons i won't pretend i understand

but the result i do understand - publishers wanted to focus on getting console games on the shelves and pc developers wanted to delay their products - the result of that, a damn dry year for pc gaming

it's a shame it all came at once, but that's just how it works - 2007 is a massive year for pc gaming, and most people who go on about the death of pc gaming, well, it's great that they have such strong feelings for something - but they don't know a damn thing about the industry...

i wouldn't say pc gaming is dying, or even slowing down - we just had a hiccup year, when you get the hiccups you don't check yourself into a hospice and wait to die, you just wait for it to pass
sergio_afonso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sergio_afonso
Member since 2004 • 460 Posts

PC gaming will be dead by the next generation of consoles.  All they have to do is allow a keyboard and mouse (or something comparable) and it's by by PC gaming.Jack_Summersby

PC is going to be forever!!!

Vorlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 Vorlin
Member since 2002 • 579 Posts

i wouldn't say pc gaming is dying, or even slowing down - we just had a hiccup year, when you get the hiccups you don't check yourself into a hospice and wait to die, you just wait for it to pass

That openly made me laugh, rofl! On topic, agreed wholeheartedly with his post, it was just a slow year. I might also add that just because the consoles released a lot of games doesn't mean they were quality games. 2007 will be a monster of a year for the PC with games and I can't wait.

Also, to say that pcs would be dead by next-gen consoles due to them adding a keyboard and mouse...well, that's not going to happen because then you'd have a dumbed-down "pc" that can't store anything HD-wise and can't get on the internet. Add those capabilities and *ding*, you have a pc....no sense in that at all.
sj420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sj420
Member since 2003 • 626 Posts

1. pc gaming is going through a transition

2. next gen consoles are currently in the spotlight (taking attention away from devs - they are businesses after all and consoles are the hot thing atm)

3. sports games have ALWAYS gotten the shaft on the pc

darkfox101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 darkfox101
Member since 2004 • 7055 Posts
PC gaming will be dead by the next generation of consoles. All they have to do is allow a keyboard and mouse (or something comparable) and it's by by PC gaming.Jack_Summersby
Heh next generation of consoles will cost so much you would rather get a PC since the console is mimicking a PC but can't upgrade.. only an idiot would buy a console then.. consoles are meant for casual time to time gaming.. not hardcore, customization
Termite551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 Termite551
Member since 2006 • 1125 Posts

No PC gaming is NOT dying. Many say these things after a weak year for the PC and it always comes back. Consoles simply have more minor hits on the market then the PC does, but PC game hits are always more popular.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts
2006 saw the launch of two new consoles and the backdraft from a third, which caused a lot of publishers to try and sponge in as much profit as they could with those mega-selling-even-if-rubbish-just-because-people-need-games launch titles, meaning pc gaming got pushed aside a little

there was also an impending new directx and operating system looming over every pc game on the horizon, which caused developers to put a lot of their work on hold for several reasons i won't pretend i understand

but the result i do understand - publishers wanted to focus on getting console games on the shelves and pc developers wanted to delay their products - the result of that, a damn dry year for pc gaming

it's a shame it all came at once, but that's just how it works - 2007 is a massive year for pc gaming, and most people who go on about the death of pc gaming, well, it's great that they have such strong feelings for something - but they don't know a damn thing about the industry...

A-S_FM

ya i second this.  2006 was a crap year for PCs, in terms of games.  I only bought one game that year: Oblivion.  But now with Vista kicking in and DX10 coming in the next month (Company of heroes DX10 patch 8) ), plus Crysis and all these other sweet games, plus this booming hardware that makes consoles look like toddler's toys (im not bashing consoles tho).  Yes, it does cost money, a good size of money, but it lasts for years, plus PCs are great for way more than games, like TV, email, homework, forums, instant messaging, mod making/downloading, as a stereo, and generally a VERY multi-purpose system that is well worth the $1300 or so for a great system that will last years. Plus we have 260 and Vista getting very close, maybe we will eventually have multiplayer matches across PC and Xbox!  Plus PC supports controllers (even the Wiimote!!!), so you can go with extreme control (mouse and keyboard) or laid back and casual with a controller.  2007: Golden Year of PCs in general.
KTOutlaw_2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KTOutlaw_2007
Member since 2007 • 42 Posts

Ok, let look at this really funny and unfound belief.  As a very long time gamer and computer tech this statement has appeared more times than I can even remember. 

As far back as the Commodore 64 using a cassette storage drive the rumor of the demise of Personal Computer Gaming has prevailed... 

Over the course of time it has been proven wrong time after time.  And will continue in the same manner far after any version of the consoles move into extinction. 

Even today if you check previews and posted information you discover than the console games that are released are in their final form, the release of the Expansion pack for Oblivion is one of the few console versions that will have an upgrade option but that is only if you have a broadband connection. 

While checking info on the newest announced Expansion pack for the very popular The Sims 2 series there are new additions for the game that will be released for consoles but in a static version, options such as aging in the game are only available in the PC version of the game. 

Oblivion and Neverwinter Nights 2 both allow PC Gamers to create new worlds, content, etc and add it to the existing game, plus distribute it to other PC Gamers, not an option that I know of for any of the Console versions. 

So the way I see it, if it can be customised and/or new items created by the gamers on a PC, it is very hard to kill something that continues to grow. 

My opinion on consoles is they are a way to get people interested in a particular game, if they would like the complete upgradable and mod creating version then they need to go get a PC with all the bells and whistles and see how the game was meant to look and act.  And if it not released for the PC then they had nothing really worth the over inflated prices that people are paying for the console version and the PC gamer have not really missed anything especially not the price.

basersx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 basersx
Member since 2005 • 6222 Posts

Here is my take.
I am a PC gammer first and always will be.  But I do love consoles for sports and racing games.  I have an Xbox 1 and use it for games like Forza, RalliSport Challenge 2, Top Spin, Madden, Fight Night etc.  Sports and especially racing games are just way better on console.  Even a game as good as GTR2 for PC sux because you can not play it at a high level with any controller, you need a wheel.  I know of no PC racing games that come close to the control you get on console with controller.  Another example, I have TOCA 3 on both Xbox and PC.  The Xbox version is 10 times better because of the controller.  So I will always want a consol to play those kinds of sports and racing games.

That said I HATE FPSs etc on console.  I have had an Xbox for 3 years and I hate Halo, et., etc. and never played them.  Basically any game where you have to aim crosshairs with a thumb stick is pure garbage!  I will always play those kinds of games on PC with mous and keyboard the way it should be.

What needs to happen to bring viable versions of sports and racing games to PC is for Microsoft to come out with a standard universal PC controller and for game makers to completely design the games around it.  I would not even be upset if PC game makers blatantly refused to support ANY other controllers except for the MS standard one.  I know that is mean and bad for the other 3rd party controller makers but too bad.  They have had 20+ years to try to make a decent PC controller that works well with the games on PC and have failed.  Its time for MS to step in and take over the whole thing!

If that happened we might finally get games like Forza etc. for PC that actually played as well and the versions on console. Until then I will want both; console for sports and racing, PC for everything else.

Avatar image for Death9698498564
Death9698498564

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Death9698498564
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
The only way PC will get more games than Consoles (modern games that is.) Is if people will actualy pay money to upgrade there system. Only reason PC game developers dont make "nexted gen graphics" games is because barly anyone has a computer to run them. Most people run on outdated hardware. Only because PC's last longer than a console because we can upgrade them. PC gamers take advantage of adding mods to games. Consoles you cant do that as easily as a PC.
gtataki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 gtataki
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
The main problem with PC games is that, compared to consoles, it is much easier to get your hands on games illegaly. No chips and stuff needed. Sometimes it is even more convinient to play games cracked because of some crazy locks that come up from time to time. For example, some games wouldn't play if your PC had a CD-R.

That is one of the many reasons why many console games never get a PC edition. Also why a company would prefer to make a game for a console and not for the PC.
That is also, is one of the reasons why multiplayer games are blooming. If you pay, you play (the way it should be for the other games too).
X-Fade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 X-Fade
Member since 2006 • 2681 Posts
PC Gaming future looks good games like: Crysis,S.T.A.L.K.E.R,World In Conflict,The new UT game is coming and so much more PC gaming is alive and kickin ;)
mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts
Oh God, not another one of these topics again...............................
Decado_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Decado_basic
Member since 2002 • 4030 Posts
PC gaming has been struggling through a transition phase with the rising cost of the development process and marketing vs. relatively stagnant sales and the slightly disturbing trend in MMORPGs. I don't see it as being particularly healthy. Just about every game out there on the PC with a decent budget is being multiplatformed, which not only leads to the (likely) possibility of bad ports and poor support, but generally lower quality games. Crysis, as fantastic as it looks, is the *only* major FPS being developed exclusively for the PC. This is supposed to be one of the two flag-ship genres for this gaming platform. Even RTS, with multiplatform whores like EA leading the way, are trying to branch out. To much talent is wasted on multiplatform games or diverted solely to consoles. The whole "digital distribution" thing doesn't seemed to have really panned out all that well (with no/few games being exclusively designed and released for it). There are some very positive signs, though, I'm just not terribly excited about what I'm seeing right now.
garak0410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 garak0410
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
It'll boom soon when companys start to take advantage of DX10 and Vista (which they are starting to do and accomplish). PC gaming can only get stronger in the next few years with titles like Quake wars, Hellgate: london, Spore, UT3 and many many more games coming out in the distanced future.
nic0008
I hope DX10 will bring back the return of college Football and Baseball.