PC Crash / Freeze / Reboot while playing game

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dpham0103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dpham0103
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I build a PC for gamer and here is what I have:

Motherboard: Asus P5B - SE

CPU: Duo Core E6850

Ram: 4 GB

Graphic Card: XFX 8800GT then Radeo X1650

Power Supply: 680 W then 550 W

Running Windows XP

Test Game Call of Duty 2 and Call of Duty 4

First, when I use the XFX 8800, the PC seems to be alright at first. Then I install game and play it (testing both games), the PC becomes every unstable; Crash / Reboot itself and if I turn OFF the Automatic Reboot, the windows crash with blue screen and I have the message as IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL ... Then I start having this problem even without playing game... (I install the game to my laptop and playing just fine without any problem for both games)

I swap the graphic card to Radeo X1650 and also the Power Supply Unit. Reinstall the windows and just the games... I can be able to play COD 2 without any windows disturbed. However, when I play COD 4, the game Crash and Freeze... and also the PC reboot itself. I did not turn of the auto reboot this time. Then I go back and test COD 2... the game is also crash. I also test with other game like Crysis and PC crash also, but not until 1/2 hour play time.

I already upgrade the BIO file and Graphic card. I use ON BOARD sound.

all the games are doing fine on my 3 years old laptop...

Thanks a lot for your help.

incubus_1_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 incubus_1_7
Member since 2003 • 322 Posts
Either 1 of your memory sticks is not in all the way. your overheating, currupt windows installation or virus, or your heatsink or cpu fan could be really dusty. Do you have a big enough power supply for that rig? Why do you have 2 videocards? Try more than just 2 games.
incubus_1_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 incubus_1_7
Member since 2003 • 322 Posts
sorry, i now see your power supply specs. lol
battledroid978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 battledroid978
Member since 2003 • 819 Posts

Three possibilities:

1. CPU overheating.

2. Defective memory.

3. Driver issues. Pay special attention to which graphics drivers you are using.

SearchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SearchMaster
Member since 2005 • 7243 Posts
Yeah

Three possibilities:

1. CPU overheating.

2. Defective memory.

3. Driver issues. Pay special attention to which graphics drivers you are using.

battledroid978
And i lean towards heat problem at most.
dpham0103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dpham0103

First I would like to thanks for you help

Update, i am no long getting that error code since I re-install the windows and also did not disable the auto reboot.

1. I test other games such as Crysis and World in Conflict.... and having the same, reboot problem. I check the PC event log and can not find any real cause (no critical error message). Crysis, I can be able to play for 30 min before it crash while COD 4 is not even 5 minutes. At first I don't have problem with COD 2 and after the COD 4 crash... COD 2 is crash as well.

2. I have two graphics card and test one at the time. Right now I am using Redeon X1650 because my friend have the same card and working well with my game.... eleminate the problem for trouble shoot

3. I am using Antec 500 Watt Basiq and 5v (30A), 12v (18A), 3.3V (30A), -12v (0.5A), and 5Vsb (2.5A). I don't think PSU is a problem... but welcome for suggestion.

4. This is a brand new PC, not even a month old... so I don't think it is dusting

5. Overheat: when I crash and reboot, I check the bio and CPU is aroung 46 C and MB is 40 C... I am not sure if it is too hot or not?

6. Driver, I am install most of lastest drivers including the BIO

I am thinking about heat too... because when I play theCrysis this morning... I don't have problem... but it could be I did not play long enough...

I cannot check the graphic card so Idon't know... but how high is the temperature is where I start concern... and if my CPU / Heat Sinkistoo hot... what can I doto fix it....

Thanks a lot

battledroid978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 battledroid978
Member since 2003 • 819 Posts
Is there any way for you to try a stronger power supply? I'm not sure, but I think the 8800GT requires 24A on the 12V rail.
Lilgunney612

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 Lilgunney612
Member since 2005 • 1878 Posts
if its happening to one of your video cards but not the other, i would guess the problem lies in the video card, maybe it has a faulty heatsink/fan. make sure the video card isn't overheating and check for driver updates. if its not overheating or anything i would have it replaced.
dpham0103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dpham0103

Right now I am using the Radeon X1650 and still having problem... I don't have an other psu to check, but I did talk to XFX 8800 support group and they said it would work....

TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TrooperManaic
Member since 2004 • 3863 Posts

1 make sure if you have it overclocked that you keep the voltage up slightly more then what it is stable, you dont know the kind of hell I had trying to figure that out.

2 make sure you powersupply "if it has a switch from high, low, auto" that you have it set to auto, that was a whole other hell for me.

3 if none works run memtest

TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TrooperManaic
Member since 2004 • 3863 Posts
also if you are worried about heat, try speedfan to monitor heat. it should never go above 70C. Use a cpu stab and a gpu stab test and monitor the heat while its happoneing. Thats what I did when I overclocked my processor.
shanelevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 shanelevy
Member since 2004 • 1316 Posts

do you have the 6 pin power cable plugged into the back of your graphics card? Have you tried playing with only one stick of memory at a time?

Use rivatuner to check gfx card temps.

dpham0103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dpham0103

Thanks for your help.

1. I will check the PSU set and will try to set to Auto if it is there.

2. Memtest, I will try to search and dl the program to run this... but what do I expect to see?

3. I did not do anything with Overlocking... since I am not sure / understand much about it.

4. I did use Aux power supply for XFX 8800 GT... (6 pins) when I test that card

5. CPU heatNEVER go above 70 F, sure, when it happens, I check the CPU temp in bio and it shows around 45-46 C.

how do you overlocking and increase power for overlocking? my Mother Board is Ausus P5B SE and using the latest Bio file...

Agian, thanks a lot for your help

Honus722

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Honus722
Member since 2006 • 345 Posts
That first error looks like conflicting IRQ requests. Have you checked the Windows error logs to see if there's a bit more info in there? Although as everyone has stated, it could be a heat/memory issue.
dpham0103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dpham0103

Right now I am no longer receiving that message error (after reinstall the windows). However, I still have the PC reboot and freeze while playing game, the best time is Crysis where I can play for 30 minutes before it reboot while COD 4 is not even 5-10 minutes...

I can have the PC running all night and running other program and don't have any problem. It could be heat relative... but I am not sure how to check that since my CPU temperature is low 46 C when it reboot (I check from BIO file). But I don't know how hot is my graphic card.... and in fact it is getting too hotor not...

I have two graphic cards to test and it is not graphic card either.

I try to looking for the program where I can test my RAM ...

and if it is heat problem, what should I do? buy a different CPU fans...? can I replace heat sink? or what ?Please Advice

Honus722

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Honus722
Member since 2006 • 345 Posts

Right now I am no longer receiving that message error (after reinstall the windows). However, I still have the PC reboot and freeze while playing game, the best time is Crysis where I can play for 30 minutes before it reboot while COD 4 is not even 5-10 minutes...

I can have the PC running all night and running other program and don't have any problem. It could be heat relative... but I am not sure how to check that since my CPU temperature is low 46 C when it reboot (I check from BIO file). But I don't know how hot is my graphic card.... and in fact it is getting too hotor not...

I have two graphic cards to test and it is not graphic card either.

I try to looking for the program where I can test my RAM ...

and if it is heat problem, what should I do? buy a different CPU fans...? can I replace heat sink? or what ?Please Advice

dpham0103

What kind of sound card do you have? I had a Sound Blaster a few years ago that caused exactly the same issues that you describe above. I researched a bit more and noticed a lot of people were having the same problem with the same type of card I had.

wurn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#17 wurn
Member since 2004 • 2258 Posts

WIthout a doubt he is right, its definately ram related... I know cause ive seen this symtom many times

Either 1 of your memory sticks is not in all the way. your overheating, currupt windows installation or virus, or your heatsink or cpu fan could be really dusty. Do you have a big enough power supply for that rig? Why do you have 2 videocards? Try more than just 2 games.incubus_1_7

dpham0103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dpham0103

trouble shooting, I try to be simple as much as possible, So I am using ON Board sound and down load the latest driver from Realtek...

I try to find the program to test RAM right now... any recommendation of software should I be using? and also what I am looking for when I test it? I never test / check RAM before...

Thanks

Mog2011989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Mog2011989
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Hello everybody,please help me with this

My PC is

Main ASUS chipset Intel 865

chip P4 631 HT:3.0 Ghz

ram 2xDDR 512 mb Kingmax

card Innod 3D Geforce 7600GS 512 Mb

When I play Overlord,Avencast,Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Medieval 2:Total War ,it crash after playing for 5-10 minutes and I must reboot

But I play Oblivion,Neverwinter Night 2 ,Bioshock normally,and I have tested the temperatured , mainboard ,chip,VGA card never go up to 50

I have full update drivers and patch

please help me!

skeetdude10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 skeetdude10

Hi there,

I have similar problems with my PC....

It will freeze while running high spec games. e.g. COD 4, Crysis etc

Before the freezing I had a blue screen error stating an ATI driver as the cause, so I updated to the latest and guess what? Same problem but with out the blue screen error, just a freeze.

I see that all to people having problems similar to mine all seem to be running ASUS motherboards, so I did so research and it showed that ATI drivers sometimes have issues with various motherboards and chipsets specifically naming ASUS motherboards and VIA chipsets (Which are commonly found in ASUS's motherboards). They recommended updating all motherboard, chipset and BIOS related software to try and solve the problem......... still NO LUCK!

Thanks,

John

My System:

Motherboard: ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

GPU: Radeon X1650 pro 512MB PCI-E

CPU: Intel Pentium D CPU 3.20GHz

Memory: 2GB DDR2 (PC2-5300)

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts
The same problem happend 2 me with my old pc ( celeron1.8,xfx6200,512ram ),when i was playin games like oblivion,fear, at first the pc freeze after about 5-6 hours of playin, but the other games were fine, then the 6'h became 0,n the pc freezes when i open any thing 3d even nvidia control panel. I tried replacing every thing but nothing worked, then i decided take a look on the mobo temp, n it was 73c. So im sure that ur mobo s overheating
skeetdude10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 skeetdude10

Well after I just posted that message I checked my GPU temp....... it was idling at around 64C!!

That probably has something to do with it.

How can you cool your GPU down? I tried RivaTunner to in crease the fan speed but it doesn't seem to make much difference

Any ideas?