GTA_MGS_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GTA_MGS_1
Member since 2008 • 524 Posts

Hey peeps can anyone help me out, getting a new case soon.. Rosewill Thor V2.. i'm a noob when it comes too cooling.. its going to be air cooled, can anyone help out? im thinking of having the intake set to full speed and 2 exhausts at the top and side at normal speed, is this a good combo for a high spec rig? thankss :)

Also i think this case comes with a big fan on the side case, is this better turned on or will it affect the cooling? any help appreciated!!

FatalScorpion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#2 FatalScorpion
Member since 2014 • 710 Posts

@GTA_MGS_1:

Well I actually have that exact case. It comes with 3 230mm, one for a front intake, one for a side intake and one for a top exhaust, and a 140mm rear exhaust fan (which spins much faster than the others). This case is really cool (literally and figuratively). I'd say yes to having the side fan on as the intake fans are fairly slow moving. The exhaust fans are the one's you're really going to want to crank, via the fan controllers, for the heavy gaming sessions or whatever. The rear exhaust fan is noticeably louder when cranked. So don't be alarmed if it sounds like the fan controllers aren't working. I have my intake fans set to A and the exhaust fans set to B. I don't think it really matters all that much though. I guess if you wanted a mid level setting you could hook up the side intake and top exhuast on the same controller and just crank that up so you get a boost but don't have to hear the rear exhaust.

my rig:

ThorV2

ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3

I7 2700K unlocked

Zalman CNPS12X (ubercool cpu cooler if you want to overclock) idles between 28-30 celcius and 34-38 while gaming its f**king huge though and might block ram space. I just installed the ram first though.

Patriot Viper 3 16GB 2133MHZ

EVGA GTX750ti 2GB

Samsung EVO 120GB

Seagate Barracude 3TB

Corsair 750W

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

Just leave all the fans on and since it has a fan controller lower there speed down when not doing anything demanding to have less noisy fans and when you are playing a demanding game you can turn them back up for extra cooling at expense of more noise but you may not even need two if your only using one gpu and your ambient temps aren't to high. Just remember its important to go in and clean your case fans and the gpu and cpu fan every one in a while alot of dust accumulates overtime and that blocks airflow and traps heat inside the case and your gpu/cpu.

My crossfire 7950 where blue screening on me in games or down clocking themselves due to overheating but its cause I hadn't cleaned out my case since I got it and there was dust everywhere that combined with it being summer and much higher ambient temps in my room then winter no wonder they where overheating.I also rearranged my cabling to minimize airflow blockage I have a rosewill case to that looks similar but its a mid tower.

I ran my power cables from the psu through the backside of the motherboard using those rubber holes you have inside the case so they wouldn't block airflow as much also looks nicer and less cables mess in the way when I open it up. Now my 7950s are no longer overheating even in advanced games like battlefield 4 the 8 fans in my case are keeping things cool enough for now even in the summer.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

Leave the fans alone and have them all run for best cooling.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

@GTA_MGS_1 said:

Hey peeps can anyone help me out, getting a new case soon.. Rosewill Thor V2.. i'm a noob when it comes too cooling.. its going to be air cooled, can anyone help out? im thinking of having the intake set to full speed and 2 exhausts at the top and side at normal speed, is this a good combo for a high spec rig? thankss :)

Also i think this case comes with a big fan on the side case, is this better turned on or will it affect the cooling? any help appreciated!!

front intake, top and rear exhausts - that's it.

GTA_MGS_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GTA_MGS_1

Thanks everyone! :)

predator rules you think 1 intake and 2 exhausts is the best?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 04dcarraher

@GTA_MGS_1 said:

With the Thor no you should have more intake then exhaust the way its setup to begin with

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

@GTA_MGS_1 said:

If you mean 2 exhausts by 1 rear and 1 top then it's good as well but I meant 2 top exhausts and 1 rear.

I'm currently using 1 front intake and 1 rear exhaust only as my current setup is with 1 GPU, that's all is needed.

GTA_MGS_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GTA_MGS_1

Thats strange, i've never heard of having more intakes than exhausts? surely their will be too much air and not enough will escape.. like you said though, its how it was made.. yeh i'll be using 1 gpu.. thanks people!

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 04dcarraher

@GTA_MGS_1 said:

Thats strange, i've never heard of having more intakes than exhausts? surely their will be too much air and not enough will escape.. like you said though, its how it was made.. yeh i'll be using 1 gpu.. thanks people!

You have positive pressure based cases and negative pressure based cases.

Positive = more airflow from intake then exhaust,

Negative = more exhaust then intake.

Most high end cases that have mesh fronts sides etc are Positive. In general Negative pressure moves more air through a case but positive will cool components better, and since most positive cases have airflow from multiple sources and heat rises the rear and top exhaust fan will remove the excess heat just fine.

GTA_MGS_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GTA_MGS_1

Okay dude, will it be ok if i used 2 intake and 2 exhaust then? I know what you mean but 2 and 2 should be a good combo? :P