PC + 360 Controller = Very satisfying!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kweeky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 kweeky
Member since 2003 • 278 Posts

As a Brit, it is my duty as a gamer to buy each new installment of the PES (Pro Evolution Soccer in Europe or Winning Eleven in the US/Japan). However, 2008 has seen the first proper PES game that has come out where I don't own a console capable of running it. I had an X-Box which I had PES 4 and 5 on, but now with PES 7 (6 doesn't count!), I was left thinking: "Is it worth me getting a 360 at long last?" Of course, one look at my bank statement reminded me that was a pipedream, so I had to think of something else.

I downloaded the demo and thought I'd give it a go with keyboard - I thought it can't be *that* bad surely? Keyboard + Mouse is supreme for a lot of things, but alas sports games they really really suck.

So I ordered a 360 controller, thinking well, I've got a few games that might be quite fun with a controller as opposed to my beloved logitech keyboard/mouse combo.

It arrived yesterday and my goodness, it has opened up my PC to playing console-style games (I always think a few are quite enjoyable - mainly the sports games however) incredibly well. I forgot I was playing on my PC as I sat across the room (I have a 24" monitor which helps), it truly felt like I was playing on a 360 or a PS3. The graphics were better due to running at 1920x1200, and the experience was great!

I'm now thinking of purchasing a couple more controllers for when I get PES 2008, so I can relive the console-esque experience with a few mates playing footie together - but on the PC!

All in all, I highly recommend if you have the feeling that you need a gamepad, scoop up the 360 controller (wired) or the 360 controller for windows (wireless) and you'll have the few (previously somewhat exclusive) pluses of console gaming on your PC - for a fraction of the cost! :D

Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

Oh yeah, I really like the 360 controller for sports games, third person games (Tomb Raider for example), etc on the PC :)

For a long time (probably since the days of the Gravis Exterminator or so) I used to buy adapters for the PC, such as one for the PS2 controller. I always thought that worked great. But now I use the 360 controller, better overall and works natively via USB with the PC ;)

LTZH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 LTZH
Member since 2003 • 2704 Posts

This is my controller, it works well with flying 747s and FA-18s.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826102004

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
I've used Logitech Rumblepad 2 for three years now. Does anyone have both Rumblepad and 360 controller? I'd like to know if it's worth getting it.
homebrew197516

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 homebrew197516
Member since 2005 • 92 Posts
I have a 360 controler hooked up to my PC. I only use it to play DiRT on my 92" projector screen. Does the job nicely!
kweeky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kweeky

Ohhh, I forgot about Tomb Raider - that'll be ace with a controller certainly! Will have to dig out the old TR2 disks or redownload TRA through Steam!

I do hope more games do what PES did though, and that's include menus and controller setup images for the 360 controller alongside PC keyboard/mouse, so that depending on user preference, you get contextual on-screen hints and tips depending on your setup!

Interconnectivity ftw. Now, if only MS would do something even more amazing for PC gaming and release DX10 to run natively on the Mac and Linux. ;)

Tehgiggles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Tehgiggles
Member since 2006 • 736 Posts
I agree, its a great controller
da1on2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 da1on2
Member since 2006 • 4885 Posts
PC+ garbage Kb/M = annoying as ****!
kweeky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kweeky

Oh, I wouldn't trade my K/M for anything else in most games!

I'll never forget the first time I played Goldeneye on the N64. "How? How do you play this without tearing your hair out?", of course it becomes more natural after time, but the accuracy and natural flow of mouselook will forever be champion in my mind.

I'm just simply saying that for a few games, the controller is certainly better, and as a PC gamer, I'm glad we have a decently supported great piece of hardware available to accomodate that need ;)

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts

This is my controller, it works well with flying 747s and FA-18s.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826102004

LTZH
Nice piece of kit, but I wouldn't pay 200 US$ for it. (At that price range, I'll take another Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar.) If you can get one for only 140 or 150 US$ off eBay, though, I say go for it. Back on topic, though; I have a wireless X360 pad with the USB dongle, and combined with the third-party drivers that give you more control over the axes and buttons, it's very satisfying to use with console-style games. I still have yet to find a gamepad with better ergonomics. About the only thing I could ask for is a better D-Pad.
MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 MythPro1
Member since 2003 • 2746 Posts
I just use a regular Playstation controller when I play racing and simulation games.
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
I used to use the 360 controller for emulators and such. But as time went on I got the Saturn Controller with an adapter and used that instead. Now I can finally do some 720s.
zakaweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 zakaweb
Member since 2003 • 355 Posts
I agree, the xbox controller is great. It is the most comfortable controller I've ever used. I play most games that accept a controller with it and really appreciate it. I like K/M for certain games but I'm not a snob about it.