Paramount stinks like Barry Bonds' gym shorts!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=412&filter=rating30

Despite selling more movies on the Blu-ray format, Paramount has announced today that they will begin supporting HD DVD exclusively. This move, rumored to be driven by a $150M exclusivity deal with the HD DVD group, comes after Paramount began favoring Blu-ray releases with higher quality video encodings and more HD features. The deal covers all of Paramount's properties excluding those directed by Steven Spielberg.

Paramount, you suck! I loved the Transformers movie! I saw it in theaters 3 times and I bought a bunch of action figures for it, and now Paramount is telling me that I can't watch it in HD just because To$hiba payed them 150 million greenbacks. What a bunch of rot! I am not going to buy Transformers in any format other than Blu-Ray, and Paramount is cutting themselves out of the largest HD market in existance just because of a stupid bribe! They've shot themselves in the foot today, and I hope they suffer for it until they are willing to atone for their mistake! :evil:

thinicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 thinicer
Member since 2006 • 3704 Posts
So get it on DVD, or rent it on in-demand HD.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Timstuff
I'm not going to waste money on a DVD disc when I should be able to get it on Blu-Ray. I will save my money and wait for the version that I want.
swamprat_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 swamprat_basic
Member since 2002 • 9145 Posts
I don't think the price of a single big-budget film would sway the largest film studio in a matter of this importance. I'm sure there is more going on that is not being talked about.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Timstuff

It would when HD movie sales are still fairly small scale. Paramount did this for the short term monetary gain, and they don't really care about what happens in the future. I recall one of their big wigs once saying that he doesn't believe either format will succeed DVD, so without Paramount's bribe, they were more or less apathetic about the whole format war. But once bribery is involved, then they suddenly gain enthusiasm (for the wrong team, I might add). :evil:

I just hope that this deal between Paramount and To$hiba doesn't prevent Paramount from releasing BR movies in the future, when HD-DVD is REALLY washed up. And I NEED my Transformers Blu-Ray, like NOW, DARNIT! :cry:

gromit007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gromit007
Member since 2006 • 3024 Posts

Happy Feet sold 4 million copies on standard DVD in one week. The combined sales of ALL HD-DVD and BR-DVD titles have yet to surpass that.

The format war will go on for years.

EmilioDigsIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 EmilioDigsIt
Member since 2005 • 4391 Posts

"To$hiba"? :lol:
This just looks like HD DVD will have the higher quality titles.

I'm just wondering what Warner Bros. will do.

kodex1717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kodex1717
Member since 2005 • 5925 Posts
Wow, a lot of people are whining over this. Oh well, shouldn't have been an early adopter if you didn't want to get shafted.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Timstuff

EmilioDigsIt

Blu-Ray still has twice as much exclusive major studio support than HD-DVD. All that yesterday's announcement has done is royally piss off a lot of people! :evil:

BadAndy642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BadAndy642
Member since 2006 • 1069 Posts
[QUOTE="EmilioDigsIt"]

Timstuff

Blu-Ray still has twice as much exclusive major studio support than HD-DVD. All that yesterday's announcement has done is royally piss off a lot of people! :evil:

BD- Sony, Fox, Disney, Lionsgate

HD- Universal, Paramount, Weinstein

Neutral- Warner, New Line

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Timstuff

Weinstein went neutral.

And Blu-Ray's customer base is 2x the size of HD-DVDs, and is rapidly approaching the 3x mark.

BadAndy642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BadAndy642
Member since 2006 • 1069 Posts

Weinstein went neutral.

And Blu-Ray's customer base is 2x the size of HD-DVDs, and is rapidly approaching the 3x mark.

Timstuff

The number should be 5x+ but it's not and that is one of themany reasons that Paramount jumped ship. And never heard about Weinstein going neutral. Got a link to prove it?

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Timstuff
[QUOTE="Timstuff"]

Weinstein went neutral.

BadAndy642

The number should be 5x+ but it's not and that is one of themany reasons that Paramount jumped ship. And never heard about Weinstein going neutral. Got a link to prove it?

Okay, so since Bluy-Ray's lead wasn't as big as Paramount wanted, they decided to jump behind the loser. Riiiiiighhht... >_>

It's been confirmed that Paramount accepted a 150 million dollar "cash incentive" to drop Blu-Ray support. However, it also turns out that the exclusive deal is for only 18 months. If Toshiba doesn't seriously pull ahead by then, Paramount will go back to making Blu-Rays. Still, it sucks that I'll have to wait 18 months to buy Transformers just because Paramount couldn't have some friggin' patience to get $150M the legit way! :evil: