Paladins Early Access Up On Steam

This topic is locked from further discussion.

vespuche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 vespuche
Member since 2007 • 1078 Posts

So Paladins is what they call a hero shooter now a days.

Haven't gotten to far into it so I don't know the actual business model. But it seems like you can play some heroes for free and purchase others with in game currency.

I been taking the free heroes to the practice range to check them out. They are pretty unique. If you like Overwatch you should try it out. Maybe you will like it. :)

Mordant221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 Mordant221
Member since 2013 • 372 Posts

Looks like a poor mans Overwatch, but sure I'll try it. Though putting heroes behind some wall, not really a good idea.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDMoTmRBI4Q&t=12s

lol'd

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@mordant221 said:

Looks like a poor mans Overwatch, but sure I'll try it. Though putting heroes behind some wall, not really a good idea.

Poor version or not, it's going to be FTP.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

hi-rez studios, no thanks.

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

It's unfortunate that this game turned out looking just like Overwatch in a lot of ways. It'll probably fail as a result. It's got a lot of negativity surrounding it for being a clone despite the fact that I'm sure it was in development just as long or longer. I think gamers assume that this game was made over the last three months or something, but that's because gamers are idiots.

I haven't tried it yet though. For all I know, it could just suck balls, and that's actually why it'll fail.

Realmjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 Realmjumper
Member since 2007 • 840 Posts

It looks ok but it does look like it draws inspiration from Blizzard Franchises. Anyone notice the dwarf with the gun at the end of the trailer? Looks just like a Dwarf Hunter from WoW.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JigglyWiggly_

@Realmjumper said:

It looks ok but it does look like it draws inspiration from Blizzard Franchises. Anyone notice the dwarf with the gun at the end of the trailer? Looks just like a Dwarf Hunter from WoW.

You mean torbjorn from Overwatch?

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JigglyWiggly_

@beardmad said:

It's unfortunate that this game turned out looking just like Overwatch in a lot of ways. It'll probably fail as a result. It's got a lot of negativity surrounding it for being a clone despite the fact that I'm sure it was in development just as long or longer. I think gamers assume that this game was made over the last three months or something, but that's because gamers are idiots.

I haven't tried it yet though. For all I know, it could just suck balls, and that's actually why it'll fail.

It is a rip off OW. Apparently they had a patch 7 months ago for Paladins that completely changed the game into a crap clone of OW.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

@JigglyWiggly_: I know it looks quite clonerific, but I'd be interested to know the actual full history of each game. I don't know how either game looked or played a year ago. Watching footage from a year ago for Paladins, it looks to have the similar array of characters and gameplay types as it does today. With that said, Overwatch was announced and shown off a bit earlier than that. I never kept up on either game's development though.

But let's say Hi-Rez had managed to release this game in April of this year, and then Overwatch followed the month after. I wonder if it'd get the same level of hatred for being a clone, or if maybe the hatred would be reversed onto Overwatch? I have to imagine the hatred is all timing based.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#11  Edited By SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

@JigglyWiggly_:

Uh, that is not true, I played the beta longer ago than that and many of the characters were still pretty similar to what they are today. The abilities have been tweaked and leveling had been removed (which I prefer), but the characters were pretty similar overall.

As to the OP. I played the beta for a bit a year or so ago and again maybe 3 months ago, but not a lot. After downloading it and playing it this weekend, I have to say I am enjoying it FAR more than OW. I wish this had hit open beta months ago so I would not have wasted my money on OW (which I haven't touched since 2 weeks after launch). All the stuff I hated about OW - mainly the constant, incessant counter-picking every 5 seconds and lack of any loadout/customization. I'm actually having a lot of fun with Paladins, which surprised, had expected it to just be a weekend distraction. Might actually drop a $10 for some cosmetics on my favorite characters.

I'll say this, I bailed on OW matches often due to frustrations with my teammates and awful MM, not enough to hit the leaver queue, but always within a hairs breadth of it. So far I have not once left a match early in Paladins, even when it is an apparent loss I still get satisfaction outplaying the other team. I NEVER felt that in OW. Even turned a down 3:1 into a win tonight with smart item picks and coordination.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JigglyWiggly_

@SerOlmy said:

@JigglyWiggly_:

Uh, that is not true, I played the beta longer ago than that and many of the characters were still pretty similar to what they are today. The abilities have been tweaked and leveling had been removed (which I prefer), but the characters were pretty similar overall.

As to the OP. I played the beta for a bit a year or so ago and again maybe 3 months ago, but not a lot. After downloading it and playing it this weekend, I have to say I am enjoying it FAR more than OW. I wish this had hit open beta months ago so I would not have wasted my money on OW (which I haven't touched since 2 weeks after launch). All the stuff I hated about OW - mainly the constant, incessant counter-picking every 5 seconds and lack of any loadout/customization. I'm actually having a lot of fun with Paladins, which surprised, had expected it to just be a weekend distraction. Might actually drop a $10 for some cosmetics on my favorite characters.

I'll say this, I bailed on OW matches often due to frustrations with my teammates and awful MM, not enough to hit the leaver queue, but always within a hairs breadth of it. So far I have not once left a match early in Paladins, even when it is an apparent loss I still get satisfaction outplaying the other team. I NEVER felt that in OW. Even turned a down 3:1 into a win tonight with smart item picks and coordination.

Might be the first person to think Paladins is better than OW.

If you played OW 2 weeks after release, you never played the rank gametype since that came out later.