Overheating Issues...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ArchDuke1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ArchDuke1
Member since 2008 • 310 Posts

Games:

Operation Flashpoint 2 Dragon Rising

Borderlands

Fallout 3 (once)

Batman Arkham Asylum

Settings: Medium/Low 1024x800 Resolution

Specs:

4870x2

E8600 (no overclock) 3.00

6GB 800 Mhz DDR2 RAM

500GB

1CD Drive

650 Watts PSU

Drivers: 9.10 (latest) at 60/63% fan speed (yeah...)

Basically it overheats at some games others it runs fine. For example, Call of Duty series (4, 5 and MW2) it stays at 58 degrees after hours of gameplay, while playing Operation Flashpoint DR it bails out on me after an hour/hour and half. (I only gave the example of this game because its the only one that I haven't sold yet)

Any help would be apreciated, if you would like more info regarding the settings, ask, because the ones posted above are the ones I used on OF Dragon Rising, thanks in advance.

EDIT: How do I change the spacing between lines?

ArchDuke1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ArchDuke1
Sorry for double post, but try not to bump the thread down.
Avatar image for UltimateGamer95
UltimateGamer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 UltimateGamer95
Member since 2006 • 4720 Posts
Sorry for double post, but try not to bump the thread down.ArchDuke1
Well first of all what case do you have? Secondly what's the brand and model of you power supply? Please answer so that I can help you further :). Oh and I see you found me ;)
ArchDuke1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ArchDuke1
Yeah I found you on one guy's sig :p Thermaltake SopranoRS101  NOX is the brand of the PSU.
UltimateGamer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 UltimateGamer95
[QUOTE="ArchDuke1"]Yeah I found you on one guy's sig :p Thermaltake SopranoRS101  NOX is the brand of the PSU.

Alright well to be honest that case is barely big enough for the 4870x2 and it wouldn't provide enough airflow for that card either. Also that power supply seems to be somewhat of a no name brand so you might want to get a new one eventually. Now how much do you think you could spend on a case? You really won't be able to solve your temperature problem until you get a new case ;)
ArchDuke1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ArchDuke1
Ok, I'm looking at this http://www.bigbruin.com/2008/armorplusmx_1, would it be compatible with my P5Q motherboard? Or would this be a step down from what I have now? Could you try to find the height dimensions in the middle of all that text? Thanks in advance.
ArchDuke1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ArchDuke1
Scratch that, what about Thermaltake Speed Advance?
UltimateGamer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 UltimateGamer95
Scratch that, what about Thermaltake Speed Advance?ArchDuke1
Well You'll need to tell me what your budget is :)
Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts
What temperature is your GPU getting to when it crashes?
ArchDuke1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ArchDuke1

Anything that doesn't pass 200€ too much, I'm more looking at Thermaltake Element G, its 101€.

As for the temps, its somewhere between 60/70. Maybe I need to change the shutting down temp? I think that the case isn't the main problem, because in some games it works fine, oh well.

MaoTheChimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MaoTheChimp
Member since 2008 • 1727 Posts

Before anyone suggests purchasing something, is your video card heatsink the reference design, or an aftermarket version which dumps heat into the case?\

Here's an example:

Reference

Non-Reference

MaoTheChimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MaoTheChimp

Games:

Operation Flashpoint 2 Dragon Rising

Borderlands

Fallout 3 (once)

Batman Arkham Asylum

Settings: Medium/Low 1024x800 Resolution

Specs:

4870x2

E8600 (no overclock) 3.00

6GB 800 Mhz DDR2 RAM

500GB

1CD Drive

650 Watts PSU

Drivers: 9.10 (latest) at 60/63% fan speed (yeah...)

Basically it overheats at some games others it runs fine. For example, Call of Duty series (4, 5 and MW2) it stays at 58 degrees after hours of gameplay, while playing Operation Flashpoint DR it bails out on me after an hour/hour and half. (I only gave the example of this game because its the only one that I haven't sold yet)

Any help would be apreciated, if you would like more info regarding the settings, ask, because the ones posted above are the ones I used on OF Dragon Rising, thanks in advance.

EDIT: How do I change the spacing between lines?

ArchDuke1

I'm assuming it's the CPU that's overheating? I couldn't make out whether you're referring to the CPU or GPU.

ArchDuke1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ArchDuke1
Mine's the "Reference" link. And I can't answer your question, hence why I posted this here, I'm not sure if its the CPU or GPU.
MaoTheChimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MaoTheChimp

Mine's the "Reference" link. And I can't answer your question, hence why I posted this here, I'm not sure if its the CPU or GPU.ArchDuke1

It would be greatly appreciated if you ran HWmonitor and posted (or gave a screenshot of) the temps you're getting.

I'm questioning whether airflow is the culprit here, because I saw a buddy at a LAN party who gimped on his PC case, and it was housing a 4870x2 paired with a non-overclocked i7 920 without issue. The case had one 120mm intake, and one 120mm exhaust (not counting the GPU or PSU fans), both looked like they were pushing about 50-60CFM, and yet he didn't have any problem with overheating.

UltimateGamer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 UltimateGamer95

Anything that doesn't pass 200€ too much, I'm more looking at Thermaltake Element G, its 101€.

As for the temps, its somewhere between 60/70. Maybe I need to change the shutting down temp? I think that the case isn't the main problem, because in some games it works fine, oh well.

ArchDuke1
Get the Cooler Master HAF 922 (case)
-clippa-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 -clippa-
Member since 2008 • 596 Posts

I had a 4870x2, they run like an oven. Bought a haf 932 case, solved all my overheating issues.

ArchDuke1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ArchDuke1

[QUOTE="ArchDuke1"]

UltimateGamer95

Get the Cooler Master HAF 922 (case)

Can't say I prefer that over the Element G case.

-clippa-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -clippa-

You want the haf 932, it comes with the side fan, unless you want to install your own fans there

(W)230 x (H)545 x (D)575 mm
(W)9.0 x (H)21.5 x (D)22.7 inch

ArchDuke1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ArchDuke1
The TT Element G case also includes a plug & play side fan.
-clippa-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 -clippa-

Sounds like you have your heart set on that case, I only recommend the haf as I have personal experience with it and can confirm that it definately solved my overheating woes with the 4870x2. It's a great case, bit pricey though.

ArchDuke1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ArchDuke1
I don't, but the Element G looks better, isn't much pricier than the HAF 922 and it seems to be better. I'm not sure though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bszPOf0U6KIhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFg1JluB8hI
DABhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#22 DABhand
Member since 2005 • 174 Posts

Firstly its not right to suggest to someone to buy a new case or a new PSU, when the original problem hasnt be identified.

Its easy enough to say "its the case" or "its the PSU its not powerful enough". But what if someone at your recommendation went and bought said case or PSU and then still had the problem? Well im sure most of you wont lose sleep over the fact someone spent money on something that didnt fix the initial problem.

Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Captain__Tripps
You are correct, no problem has been found or diagnosed , but it was the TC who started on with the case.. Seems he wants a new one, even though it may not even be the problem. He says his pc is overheating, but has stated no evidence of it....
hofuldig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hofuldig
Member since 2004 • 5126 Posts

The E8400 is the 3GHz modle the E8600 is the 3.33GHz modle and i bet its the case also. it wouldent be overheating unless it had good airflow.

Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Captain__Tripps

The E8400 is the 3GHz modle the E8600 is the 3.33GHz modle and i bet its the case also. it wouldent be overheating unless it had good airflow.

hofuldig
He hasn't said what the temperature of the CPU is when its crashing, unless I missed it...
hofuldig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hofuldig
Member since 2004 • 5126 Posts
[QUOTE="hofuldig"]

Captain__Tripps
He hasn't said what the temperature of the CPU is when its crashing, unless I missed it...

if you have paid attention to everything he has said you would know he dose not really know anything about computers. so therefor its ok. becaus he dose now know.
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Captain__Tripps
[QUOTE="Captain__Tripps"][QUOTE="hofuldig"]

hofuldig

if you have paid attention to everything he has said you would know he dose not really know anything about computers. so therefor its ok. becaus he dose now know.

Thats the problem, if he doesn't know much about computers, how can he determine that the computer is overheating? Games can crash for numerous reasons, if he hasn't even looked at his temps, buying a new case should not be the first thing he tries. Unless he doesn't like the case, and wants a new one, regardless if it fixes the problem.
UltimateGamer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 UltimateGamer95
[QUOTE="ArchDuke1"]I don't, but the Element G looks better, isn't much pricier than the HAF 922 and it seems to be better. I'm not sure though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bszPOf0U6KIhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFg1JluB8hI

Well the Element G is a very good case since you can control the fans using that dial on the top of the case. However the HAF 922 will support the much larger ATI 5870 and possibly the 5970 as well whereas the Element G will not. However, If you don't plan on getting ATI's 5870 or 5970 anytime soon then I'd recommend the Element G case.
-clippa-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 -clippa-

I just noticed that he's manually changed the fan speed in catalyst, change that to automatic and see if the problem persists.

I would put money on it being his gpu overheating, I had the same issue, they are notorious for running hot. Less demanding games would be fine, and then a gpu intensive game could bring it to it's knees in a matter of minutes with the poor air flow in my old case.