Old Samsung 80 Gig SATA HD Help

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jakehilts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 jakehilts
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I'm trying to retrieve information off of an old crashed hard drive. My plan is to transplant the platters to a working HD. It is a Samsung 80 Gig SATA 2. Serial: HD0808HJ/P.

The problem is I'm having trouble locating a used one. My question is...will a Western Digital (or another manufacturer) 80 gig SATA 2 work instead?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@jakehilts said:

I'm trying to retrieve information off of an old crashed hard drive. My plan is to transplant the platters to a working HD. It is a Samsung 80 Gig SATA 2. Serial: HD0808HJ/P.

The problem is I'm having trouble locating a used one. My question is...will a Western Digital (or another manufacturer) 80 gig SATA 2 work instead?

Yes, you don't have to move it to HDD, you can move it to Micro SDHC (smartphone/tablet/camera) or USB flash driver or external HDD, you've got plenty options - whatever suits you the best and the cheapest.

EDIT: If you pick up HDD http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001JGMNZE/?tag=pcpapi-20 cheapest I've found. (although you could get 1Tb for 60$)

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

@jakehilts said:

My plan is to transplant the platters to a working HD.

You better have a lab set up at home cause once those platters see the light of day, goodbye data...