Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jr14
Member since 2004 • 2148 Posts

What are some older games that look good at 4K dsr? I've noticed some games don't look much different at 4k dsr, but some games look really good like Red Faction Armageddon.

Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Jr14
Member since 2004 • 2148 Posts

Anyone?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#3  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17796 Posts

I am not exactly sure what you are asking. All DSR does is super sample the image. So, it will reduce jaggies and the image will look crisper. However, it is not adding resolution and detail. It is still outputting at your monitor's native resolution. You still need a 1440p or 2160p monitor if you want real added detail. The old games that would benefit the most are the games that had the most aliasing issues. Games that have a lot of alpha/transparent textures used for things such as foliage and fencing would certainly look better when using DSR.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@BassMan said:

I am not exactly sure what you are asking. All DSR does is super sample the image. So, it will reduce jaggies and the image will look crisper. However, it is not adding resolution and detail. It is still outputting at your monitor's native resolution. You still need a 1440p or 2160p monitor if you want real added detail. The old games that would benefit the most are the games that had the most aliasing issues. Games that have a lot of alpha/transparent textures used for things such as foliage and fencing would certainly look better when using DSR.

DSR definitely does give you extra detail. It renders and refines objects in the distance that you wouldn't even see otherwise at your native resolution. The only thing you don't get is the increased PPI. That's not really added detail though - extra PPI isn't letting you see anything you wouldn't see with DSR. If anything it's just added sharpness. But native 1440P and 4k definitely looks way better than DSR.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#5 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

I just finished playing Silent Storm recently, its an older 3d turn based game from 2004, i was messing around with video settings and tried 4k and found it wasn't any better then running 1080p. actually 4k was a bit less sharp then running native 1080p, so i just ran 1080p with 8x AA and Supersampling to keep maximum clearity.

btw you have to use the any resolution d3d9.dll for that game because it won't let you even use 1080p unless you force it that way. The sequel, Silent Storm Sentinels lets you use any resolution within the game though.

im sure theres some old games out there that would look nice at 4k, any of those old games with lots of transparency textures like trees and grass would look much nicer with it if supersampling didnt work within the game. I've only played a handful since DSR came out so there isn't much to say... so far though i havent had any need for DSR that supersampling didn't do better.

its true it would look better if you had an actual 4k monitor rather then the dsr downscaling it back to 1080p, but for games not using 4k textures i doubt your missing anything.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

RTS games with fixed view distances that just zoom out more at a higher resolution. Most of these still look great as you don't have the low texture issue you get with many old games. The other ones that tend to look good are cel shaded games and art styles that don't try to be too realistic. It's ironic I guess that many of the games with the most advanced graphics at the time seem to look worse. I guess the extra clarity show up the flaws but these flaws can be somewhat hidden with other art styles.

GhostHawk196

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 GhostHawk196
Member since 2012 • 1337 Posts

Does anyone have screenshot comparisons of Mass Effect 2 or 3 at 1080p v 4K?

Avatar image for gogoplexiorayo2
Gogoplexiorayo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#8 Gogoplexiorayo2
Member since 2013 • 189 Posts

Oblivion does not look any better in 1440p then it does in 1080p, im talking vanilla Oblivion.

whalefish82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 whalefish82
Member since 2013 • 511 Posts

GTA IV looks excellent and is very playable (about 40-45 FPS with a 970). Mirror's Edge is another off the top of my head.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

The problem is a lot of old games don't support 4k. All a higher resolution without detailed textures will just be a sharper picture with considerably worse performance.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@edinsftw said:

The problem is a lot of old games don't support 4k. All a higher resolution without detailed textures will just be a sharper picture with considerably worse performance.

That's all 4k really is anyways. Added sharpness. You're not actually seeing anything that you wouldn't otherwise see at 1080p in terms of texture detail. "4k" textures doesn't mean that you have to have 4k resolution to see the detail, it just literally means the resolution of the textures is 4k. Which means they just look extra clean. It would be equally beneficial to have those same textures at 1080P, because if you got close enough to them, at any resolution, they'd be blurry.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

@edinsftw said:

That's all 4k really is anyways. Added sharpness. You're not actually seeing anything that you wouldn't otherwise see at 1080p in terms of texture detail. "4k" textures doesn't mean that you have to have 4k resolution to see the detail, it just literally means the resolution of the textures is 4k. Which means they just look extra clean. It would be equally beneficial to have those same textures at 1080P, because if you got close enough to them, at any resolution, they'd be blurry.

I know that...It has to do with texel to pixel ratio. To maximize the quality at 4K screen resolution, you need a higher texel density by using a larger texture sizes. It can be even more important for other things than texture maps, such as displacement and normal maps. Its obviously more apparent while close, but old games have quite small texture sizes normally so it is noticeable from far away also. Just saying its not really going to look better, it would be comparable to 1080p with 4x or 8x AA. Source: Am graphics programmer