Odd problem... Bet it is related to overclocking ***Update***

This topic is locked from further discussion.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127523 Posts
Update: Removed the CMOS battery to reset the mobo and all its settings. Now my computer will boot up, my 3570K runs at stock speed and it passed an Intel Burn Test at standard settings. The curious thing is that if I enter bios again, it will tell me the multiplier is set to 47 and so it will run at 4.7GHz. Why? :? For time being I will let it run at stock speed and voltage. Not like the CPU is lacking power for most games out there. However in time I will like for it to run at 4.2 again. -------------------------------------------------------Original Post------------------------------------------------------- So... When I benchmarked with the new 3DMark I overclocked my CPU a bit. Now I set it to 4.7 with a voltage that I know is stable. The problem came when I return to my original 4.2 speed and voltage. Now my comp won't boot up. However it will if I return to 4.7 and the voltage I know is stable for it the computer will boot up. I'm curious... Why do you think it is like that? Is simply the voltage I used for 4.2 not enough anymore and I have to set it up? Mobo is a Asus P8Z77-V Pro and the CPU is a 3570K. The computer is like 8 months old.
basher999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 basher999
Member since 2004 • 220 Posts

I read somewhere that when you OC... sometimes the voltage needed to maintain that OC increases over time... Now since it hasnt been all that long I would guess that the higher clock may have degraded your cpu slightly so you need a higher voltage to get the lower clock stable again... I am fairly new to OCing so I could be wrong..

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 horgen  Moderator

I read somewhere that when you OC... sometimes the voltage needed to maintain that OC increases over time... Now since it hasnt been all that long I would guess that the higher clock may have degraded your cpu slightly so you need a higher voltage to get the lower clock stable again... I am fairly new to OCing so I could be wrong..

basher999
I was thinking the same thing, but how much up?
PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
[QUOTE="basher999"]

horgen123
I was thinking the same thing, but how much up?

Increase your voltage at the smallest increments your bios lets you and stop when you get a stable OC, I doubt you'll need to increase it much.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 horgen  Moderator
Thing is it doesnt seem to save my changes.
PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
Thing is it doesnt seem to save my changes. horgen123
Are you sure you're saving your changes when you exist the bios setup?
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Always best to use offset mode when overclocking.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Truth_Hurts_U

Thing is it doesnt seem to save my changes. horgen123

Clear the Cmos and set all your settings back up. Asus has buggy boards.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 horgen  Moderator

[QUOTE="horgen123"]Thing is it doesnt seem to save my changes. Truth_Hurts_U

Clear the Cmos and set all your settings back up. Asus has buggy boards.

I think I will try that.

Always best to use offset mode when overclocking.

Truth_Hurts_U
The one I used to change voltage.
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Truth_Hurts_U

] I think I will try that. The one I used to change voltage. horgen123

http://rog.asus.com/51092012/overclocking/overclocking-using-offset-mode-for-cpu-core-voltage/

Pretty crap guide. It just shows you how offset is better then a set voltage. Asus boards are bugged with this so you need either +10 or -10 to start... So it doesn't jump to stupid high volts when you go you test your settings.

Any time your browsing or doing light CPU tasks your CPU isn't dieing from high voltage because it will be using a lower idle one. It's also best to use lower LLC if you can. Because the "experts" say vdroop is good.

Just for ref I use +15 offset, LLC 25%, VRM Optimized, fast phase switching enabled and power threshold to 110%.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 horgen  Moderator
First post is now updated!

[QUOTE="horgen123"]] I think I will try that. The one I used to change voltage. Truth_Hurts_U

http://rog.asus.com/51092012/overclocking/overclocking-using-offset-mode-for-cpu-core-voltage/

Pretty crap guide. It just shows you how offset is better then a set voltage. Asus boards are bugged with this so you need either +10 or -10 to start... So it doesn't jump to stupid high volts when you go you test your settings.

Any time your browsing or doing light CPU tasks your CPU isn't dieing from high voltage because it will be using a lower idle one. It's also best to use lower LLC if you can. Because the "experts" say vdroop is good.

Just for ref I use +15 offset, LLC 25%, VRM Optimized, fast phase switching enabled and power threshold to 110%.

It worked pretty well just leaving it at + 0.005 for 4.2 for me. As for vdroop I had that one at auto I think. Sometimes I f*cking hate computers.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 horgen  Moderator
Checking things in bios a bit more. It won't run at 4.2 anymore. It says in bios that it should run at 4.2 but it runs at 3.8. I won't bother to change either CPU or mobo unless one of them stops working, but I don't think I'll go for Asus mobo when I upgrade next time. Skylake can't come quick enough.
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Truth_Hurts_U

Checking things in bios a bit more. It won't run at 4.2 anymore. It says in bios that it should run at 4.2 but it runs at 3.8. I won't bother to change either CPU or mobo unless one of them stops working, but I don't think I'll go for Asus mobo when I upgrade next time. Skylake can't come quick enough. horgen123

That's because the board is buggy. If you can, update to the newest Bios. Also if you do have the newest reset the Cmos. Press the button once turn it on... Then turn it off at bios screen. Then hit cmos button again. That should clear your old bugged bios settings.

Or you could pop the battery out for 5 mins.

I to had my bios set and CPU would not change. It wasn't till the last bios that came out this month that it got better. It's stilled bugged in areas and can still not change with my settings.

I also came across a RAM bug... When you had to set your ram first then save. Then reboot and go back in then change CPU settings.

Asus might use good components on their boards... But they are a buggy mess underneath.

*Edit*

Also if you still see settings you set your Cmos didn't clear all the way. Keep trying the button or battery till all settings all gone. I some times have to do it 5 times.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 horgen  Moderator
I'll try it again, the cmos battery... I had it out for a few minutes and then put it back in. I've experience trouble with the bios before when I update it. I know there is one newer update that I haven't dl and installed yet.