This topic is locked from further discussion.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Hi. I normally have my graphics AA set to MSAAX2 on my 670GTX as above this I do notice a lot of performance issues. Today I tried TXAAX4 and noticed a lot of improvement on AC4BlackFlag with no FPS drop and in fact it improved it. How much power though does TXAA use and can you use too much when setting AA?.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I really like TXAA. TXAA uses more power than post-processing AA such as FXAA or SMAA, but uses significantly less power than multi-sampling (MSAA) and super-sampling (SSAA). I remember TXAA looking even better than MSAA (took away jaggies without noticeably blurring any edges). Set it as high as you want, as long as your games run smooth enough for you.

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

Is TXAA out and usable with higher end cards? Is it possible to use it on any game through nVidia Control Panel? Or is it limited to what card you own? I have a GTX 570 but lol...Im already 2 gens old.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

It has to be programmed into the game. You can't force it through drivers.

Also...I hate it. It's like putting a thick piece of plastic over your' monitor for all the blurring it does. It makes FXAA look sharp!

I think it addresses some features nicely, such as when panning horizontally. So don't get me wrong...I just find it destroys the picture. 2x isn't so bad...

Test it yourself though. Try 4x txaa...check out a place and pay attention to the detail. Then try 2x txaa...it will be a lot sharper. Then compare that to 4x msaa...you will have a grossly sharper picture yet.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By KHAndAnime

@demi0227_basic said:

Also...I hate it. It's like putting a thick piece of plastic over your' monitor for all the blurring it does. It makes FXAA look sharp!

I think it addresses some features nicely, such as when panning horizontally. So don't get me wrong...I just find it destroys the picture. 2x isn't so bad...

Test it yourself though. Try 4x txaa...check out a place and pay attention to the detail. Then try 2x txaa...it will be a lot sharper. Then compare that to 4x msaa...you will have a grossly sharper picture yet.

TXAA is probably considered more blurry by most people. Personally, TXAA looks much less blurry than MSAA and FXAA to my eyes. MSAA looks like vaseline is smudged on all the edges (without taking away the jaggies that are actually there), TXAA to my eyes does the same thing, but better removes the jaggies. I suppose TXAA removes detail, but the over all effect looks better than blurred jaggies everywhere.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

MSAA looks blurry? What? MSAA is the least blurry and it's the only option I use.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 demi0227_basic

@KHAndAnime said:

@demi0227_basic said:

TXAA is probably considered more blurry by most people. Personally, TXAA looks much less blurry than MSAA and FXAA to my eyes. MSAA looks like vaseline is smudged on all the edges (without taking away the jaggies that are actually there), TXAA to my eyes does the same thing, but better removes the jaggies. I suppose TXAA removes detail, but the over all effect looks better than blurred jaggies everywhere.

I have to say that doesn't make any sense for MSAA to be more blurry to you than TXAA. MSAA misses some things (textures behind say, fencing, or another transparent texture) but eliminates jaggies for the most part without any blurring of the image. It only tags the lines. FXAA and TXAA blur the whole picuture to eliminate jaggies everywhere, but at the expense of a blurring of the image.

Again...to clarify...msaa doesn't blur images.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

@demi0227_basic said:

I think you're confusing MSAA with SMAA...

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 demi0227_basic

@harry_james_pot said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@demi0227_basic said:

I think you're confusing MSAA with SMAA...

nope...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multisample_anti-aliasing#Disadvantages

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KHAndAnime

@demi0227_basic said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@demi0227_basic said:

I have to say that doesn't make any sense for MSAA to be more blurry to you than TXAA. MSAA misses some things (textures behind say, fencing, or another transparent texture) but eliminates jaggies for the most part without any blurring of the image. It only tags the lines. FXAA and TXAA blur the whole picuture to eliminate jaggies everywhere, but at the expense of a blurring of the image.

Idk about that. It definitely blurs the pixels around edges and softens the image a considerable amount. It doesn't blur the entire image, just the edges, but it does it in a way that is distracting to my eye. You might not see it but I do. Not confusing a thing. MSAA has been primary MSAA method for most games for the longest time..I never turn it above 4x because of what it does to the IQ. But TXAA just looks a bit better to my eyes when doing back-to-back testing in Crysis 3 and AC4.

I'm not necessarily saying TXAA is better, because screenshots show the detail apparently is lost with it, but I still prefer the overall look in comparison to MSAA. Just a preference.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

He probably is thinking of SMAA, I enabled SMAA for tera once in the nvidia configurator, and it was a blurry mess.

Turned on MSAA instead and it was so sharp.

TXAA and FXAA are both blurry disasters.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 demi0227_basic

@KHAndAnime said:

@demi0227_basic said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@demi0227_basic said:

Idk about that. It definitely blurs the pixels around edges and softens the image a considerable amount. It doesn't blur the entire image, just the edges, but it does it in a way that is distracting to my eye. You might not see it but I do. Not confusing a thing. MSAA has been primary MSAA method for most games for the longest time..I never turn it above 4x because of what it does to the IQ. But TXAA just looks a bit better to my eyes when doing back-to-back testing in Crysis 3 and AC4.

I'm not necessarily saying TXAA is better, because screenshots show the detail apparently is lost with it, but I still prefer the overall look in comparison to MSAA. Just a preference.

I find that a more acceptable explanation. There is no doubt txaa does an incredible thing for jaggies. It just ruins the picture for me, but some may argue the blurring of the picture to be a more "cinematic" experience, taking away the sharpness of the picture and turning it into something more akin to a movie.

I just like to clarify for people that don't know that run into this post, txaa blurs like crazy, msaa doesn't. msaa is prerendered, high quality aa on lines. txaa is postrendered entire image aa, which blurs textures and such where msaa can't touch them.