Nvidia Going To Stop Direct x 10 GPU support.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23824 Posts

Nvidia has announced that as of the Release 343 GeForce graphics drivers, they will be dropping support for a range of legacy cards, ie GeForce 8- 200 and 300m series.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Well that sucks.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127492 Posts

@kraken2109 said:

Well that sucks.

Glad you upgraded now? :P

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@04dcarraher said:

Nvidia has announced that as of the Release 343 GeForce graphics drivers, they will be dropping support for a range of legacy cards, ie GeForce 8- 200 and 300m series.

Dropping support just means they won't release new drivers, which is fine since they haven't been releasing new drivers for most of those cards for a while now. As long as they keep the latest drivers available on the webpage I don't see an issue.

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

Makes sense. The highend 200 series cards are 5 years old and I don't think they really updated the drivers much anyways in the last year or so.

The next gen engines should kick off 2nd half 2014 and I doubt anyone is thinking "oh man I can't wait to rock out my 5-7 year old graphics cards on those games"

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17779 Posts

farewell 8800GTX. legendary card.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

My bros 8800gts went awol, which was replaced by a 650ti, so don't matter to me anymore. Ohhh 8800 series was a beast.

Darth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Darth1337
Member since 2005 • 64 Posts

Glad to hear that my GTX 570 is still 'supported', although I'm not sure when I last received a performance boost from a GeForce driver though.

Still, gives me a reason to upgrade to a 760 or 770, or just wait until the inevitable 800 series.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 horgen  Moderator

@Darth1337 said:

Glad to hear that my GTX 570 is still 'supported', although I'm not sure when I last received a performance boost from a GeForce driver though.

Still, gives me a reason to upgrade to a 760 or 770, or just wait until the inevitable 800 series.

Most of the performance boost comes in the two first years. When Maxwell is fully released, those cards will be getting most of the performance boost while Kepler cards probably won't see much.

At least these are my thoughts on it.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kraken2109

What happens when they release a driver that fixes a problem with a new game, does this mean it won't be fixed for old cards?

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

@kraken2109 said:

What happens when they release a driver that fixes a problem with a new game, does this mean it won't be fixed for old cards?

Yeah. Pretty much.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 04dcarraher

Well you figure the geforce 8 and 9's are 6-7 years old and newer onboard upper end IGP's and APU's are nearly as fast as those G80/92 based gpu's. Also with the incoming shift with games being direct x11+ support these cards is not a priority. Heck look at AMD they stopped support relavent gpu's like 5000's and 6000's which are only 4-5 years old and are direct x 11 based.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@04dcarraher said:

It's nothing new, they say it because you can't serious play or run new games with old GPUs, so why bothering on updating drivers for old series anyway if there's no actual improve of performance for the new games?

Few months ago before upgrading to my current GPU and using my old 5770, I rarely saw any new drivers that were released for my series.

GPU companies focus mainly on current series that they market.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16517 Posts

lmao, what a bunch of tools. I remember alot of nvidia users bashing AMD since they announced they were placing their older cards on legacy support, ie driver updates quarterly. Now that nvidia does it, its become cool? Nvidia BLOWS. Abandoning their old customers like that, what a bunch of asshats.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By 04dcarraher

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

lmao, what a bunch of tools. I remember alot of nvidia users bashing AMD since they announced they were placing their older cards on legacy support, ie driver updates quarterly. Now that nvidia does it, its become cool? Nvidia BLOWS. Abandoning their old customers like that, what a bunch of asshats.

Nvidia has supported direct x 10 cards hell of alot longer then AMD did let alone AMD dropping support of their 5000 and 6000 series to legacy which are direct x 11 ready and are only 4-5 years old vs Geforce 8,9 and 200 which are 5-7 years old....

MegaMatt91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MegaMatt91
Member since 2011 • 462 Posts

Will my GTX 780 still be supported?

Muhahahuhauahuahahuauha

nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 nicecall
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

I've been using March 2013 drivers for my 680gtx forever... everytime I upgrade to a new nvidia driver i end up going back to the march 2013 drivers cause the new ones cause my gpu to stop responding randomly and also the fps are less in some of my older games with the newer ones.

I've suspected its from powersaving changes they made sometime after those drivers, and also i think maybe the newer ones interfere with my overclock for some reason and knock it out of the perfect balance i have set for it. Maybe the newer drivers auto clock faster under stress which cause my overclocked card to freeze sometimes, who knows or cares since the march 2013 drivers work perfect for me luckily.

basically im saying u dont need brand new monthly driver updates, they cause more problems then fix usually

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kraken2109

Still think it's a bit silly. Plenty of those cards still play modern games fine. My GTX275 may be ~6 years old now but it's still twice as fast as a GT640, and not far off the speed of a GTX650 which are both modern cards.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 04dcarraher

@kraken2109 said:

Still think it's a bit silly. Plenty of those cards still play modern games fine. My GTX275 may be ~6 years old now but it's still twice as fast as a GT640, and not far off the speed of a GTX650 which are both modern cards.

I think the change is the focus on the here and now and the future where direct x 11 native games are starting to become a new standard. Direct x 11 based cards which are the standard is already 5 years old the only reason why our older cards have lasted so long is the stagnation in new API's and capable hardware. The 360/PS3 and the massive shift in multiplatforming in gaming causing game engines cater to the lowest common denominator with direct x 9 era hardware. With these new consoles out now the new standard will be modern based features only found in direct x 11 based hardware.

jcknapier711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jcknapier711
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

@04dcarraher said:

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

Nvidia has supported direct x 10 cards hell of alot longer then AMD did let alone AMD dropping support of their 5000 and 6000 series to legacy which are direct x 11 ready and are only 4-5 years old vs Geforce 8,9 and 200 which are 5-7 years old....

AMD fanbois are the worst. Nothing their precious company does is wrong. If you say anything that isn't positive about AMD you're biased.

jcknapier711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jcknapier711
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

@kraken2109 said:

Yea, I still use a 260. I don't really play FPS' all that much, so the latest and greatest graphics cards aren't really needed. I think they did it because most people who still own a dx10 card aren't really obsessed with the latest and greatest anyway and the drivers are stable anyway, and it costs them money to support the cards, so why bother?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@jcknapier711 said:

@04dcarraher said:

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

AMD fanbois are the worst. Nothing their precious company does is wrong. If you say anything that isn't positive about AMD you're biased.

I've noticed that a lot on this forum

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16517 Posts

@wis3boi said:

@jcknapier711 said:

@04dcarraher said:

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

umm, you do realize that im probably the only AMD fanboy on this forum, but theres like literally 50 nvidia fanboys here. Also nvidia fans are hypocrites. One minute they bash AMD for dropping support for an older card, saying how altruistic nvidia is, how they love their customers without question and give them free bjs. The next minute they act like alls good when nvidia ends up doing the same damn thing.

In fact I will bump up that older thread bashing AMD for dropping support for old cards when I have time. The funny thing is, the person who made that thread was an nvidia fanboy. You won't see an AMD fanboy make a thread bashing nvidia since we're better than that and we don't really give 2 shts either way. You nvidia fanboys have something to prove?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@wis3boi said:

@jcknapier711 said:

@04dcarraher said:

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

umm, you do realize that im probably the only AMD fanboy on this forum, but theres like literally 50 nvidia fanboys here. Also nvidia fans are hypocrites. One minute they bash AMD for dropping support for an older card, saying how altruistic nvidia is, how they love their customers without question and give them free bjs. The next minute they act like alls good when nvidia ends up doing the same damn thing.

In fact I will bump up that older thread bashing AMD for dropping support for old cards when I have time. The funny thing is, the person who made that thread was an nvidia fanboy. You won't see an AMD fanboy make a thread bashing nvidia since we're better than that and we don't really give 2 shts either way. You nvidia fanboys have something to prove?

My my, how butthurt can you get? Did I mention you? No? Well then...isn't that awkward for you...know what else is awkward for you? Both my cpu and gpu are AMD.

Talk about insecure.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 horgen  Moderator

@nicecall said:

I've been using March 2013 drivers for my 680gtx forever... everytime I upgrade to a new nvidia driver i end up going back to the march 2013 drivers cause the new ones cause my gpu to stop responding randomly and also the fps are less in some of my older games with the newer ones.

I've suspected its from powersaving changes they made sometime after those drivers, and also i think maybe the newer ones interfere with my overclock for some reason and knock it out of the perfect balance i have set for it. Maybe the newer drivers auto clock faster under stress which cause my overclocked card to freeze sometimes, who knows or cares since the march 2013 drivers work perfect for me luckily.

basically im saying u dont need brand new monthly driver updates, they cause more problems then fix usually

Updating the drivers hasn't affected my maximum OC on my GTX 680. Pushed reference PCB up to 1320/6950.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

GTX 460 4 life. Ok maybe not for life, but this little pocket rocket still bangs, totally a sleeper. 1080p? No problem. New Games? Sure. 4K? Yeah, when hell freezes over.

nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28  Edited By nicecall
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

@horgen123 said:

@nicecall said:

Updating the drivers hasn't affected my maximum OC on my GTX 680. Pushed reference PCB up to 1320/6950.

Must be my card then, its EVGA brand... but i'm not really too worried, even if my card is on its way out, i just need it to last till nvidias next gen cards are out.

I have mine clocked for the gpu 150mhz over stock and the memory 385mhz over stock... no voltage changes

Which comes to gpu at around 1241mhz and memory 1693mhz.

Its just weird with any drivers 320.xx to 334.xx i'll eventually get random screen black outs and a balloon popup saying my driver stopped responding and has recovered. Oh well :)