skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

This is not my post on that forum or video but same problem.

Hi this is the problem I am facing when I say graphic seems to flicker when moving on my Asus Strix 970 GTX. https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/390fdr/nvidia_970_heavy_aliasingflicker_when_moving/

Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlg4C0_3fUM

This is only the loading screen but this happens in all games when playing too but stood still and camera not moving its fine.

Any help would be grateful and no option has fixed it yet. Everything else is fine and silky smooth and constant frames. Just this graphic glitch spoils everything.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

You really sure it is every game? Many game engines don't take well to having AA forced on them.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By skipper847

Yup every single game. Although I did try some old games like Star Trek Voyager elite Force 1 and Elite force 2 and no issues with this problem. Tried the old X beyond the frontier series and no problem but in XRebirth the same problem flickering. I also tried Bioshock 1 and again no problem. Could be direct X issue?. I have even installed June SDK directX and problem still there. I just bought Farming simulator 2015 and its really bad on there one of the worst. I first started noticing it in Far cry 4 on the trees. They would look horrible when stood still but when moving they looked as like they should but when stopped they went jaggy. Its like aliasing only works when moving and it turns it self off when stood still.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#4 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

Did your previous GPU have this? I get this as well. I am pretty sure that my 670s had it too. A temporal AA solution should help. It looks like the specular shader that is shimmering, so you need some kind of post processing AA.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5  Edited By Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

From what I noticed over the years is a lot of games have poor AA. Very few have efficient and great looking implementations of it.

I know Skyrim had this weird brightness and darkness shift when going between the 2. I don't know if that was by decision or what to make it more like our eyes adjusting to different lighting... But It was annoying and not immersive.

If you're having flicker from game to game then there is something wrong.

GoodKingMog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 GoodKingMog
Member since 2015 • 167 Posts

this has absolutely nothing to do with your GPU.... its an affect of AA. get used to it. most games suffer from this unfortunately.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 skipper847

But this never happened on my 670. When I bought my 970 I thought I was upgrading not down grading. :(

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

@skipper847: Nvidia does have a new AA called MFAA... Which uses half the performance of MSAA. It gives you MSAA visuals when still, but during movement it gives you half that fidelity.

But you're noticing the opposite.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 skipper847

@ GoodKingMog and Truth_Hurts_U

Yes its defiantly something to do with AA. I downloaded Nvidia inspector and in Anti Aliasing Transparency Supersampling I changed it to 2X Sparse Grid SuperSampling and notice an improvement but not 100% but it did fix some shimmering and dim issues I was having. With Nvidia inspector have you got to open it every time you want to use Nvidia inspector or when you add profile to current application it does it automatically?.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10  Edited By Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

@skipper847 said:

@ GoodKingMog and Truth_Hurts_U

Yes its defiantly something to do with AA. I downloaded Nvidia inspector and in Anti Aliasing Transparency Supersampling I changed it to 2X Sparse Grid SuperSampling and notice an improvement but not 100% but it did fix some shimmering and dim issues I was having. With Nvidia inspector have you got to open it every time you want to use Nvidia inspector or when you add profile to current application it does it automatically?.

You should only need to open it to edit/create profiles. The games will always those profiles from then on.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I've had that effect on that same scene in the Skyrim video on a 9800GT, an R7 260x, and my GTX970. That video looks a *little* worse than I'm used to, but I think it's a flaw in the technique and not hardware (you seem to have come to this conclusion anyway though)

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#12 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

i get that slight effect your seeing also on my 970. But i also noticed it with my 680gtx. For me its not antialaising, cause if i disable AA i see it still, i think its more resolution since im only running at 1080p, if i run at 4k using dsr there is no image flickering at all for the most part.

im not sure if the mfaa would be making it worse. maybe set Texture Filtering negative lod bios to Allow to Clamp, that can also cause flickering with aa because it says it sharpens the texture and the more sharpening the more flickering

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

I get flickering and shimmering also with my gtx 570s. I can never figure out what it is. But all of my previous cards never did this.