Now that everything's released: GOTY Poll

This topic is locked from further discussion.

underdark944

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 underdark944
Member since 2003 • 1368 Posts

Now that all major releases are out, it's time to discuss which game should get Game of the Year! I'll make the poll for game of the year only but you are invited to submit your choices for all categories...

Game of the Year

Crysis - EA / Crytek

Bioshock - 2K / Irrational

World in Conflict - Sierra / Massive

The Orange Box - EA / Valve

Action/FPS Game of the Year

Crysis - EA / Crytek

Bioshock - 2K / Irrational

The Orange Box - EA / Valve

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl - THQ / GSC Gameworld

Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare - Activision / Infinity Ward

Unreal Tournament 3 - 2K / Epic

Gears of War - 2K / Epic

RTS Game of the Year

World in Conflict - Sierra / Massive

Supreme Commander - THQ / Gas Powered

Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts - THQ / Relic

RPG Game of the Year

The Witcher - Atari / CD Projekt

Hellgate: London - EA / Flagship

Jade Empire: Special Edition - 2K / Bioware

As for myself it's gonna be Crysis for GOTY and FPS, World in Conflict for RTS and undecided for RPG, the only one I played was Jade Empire and it wasn't game of the year material. Crysis is one hell of a ride and keeps you amazed all the way through whether it's for it's action cinematics, emergent gameplay and godly graphics. I thought World in Conflict was a great new way to play RTS, I've never felt more involved in an RTS. Kinda like mixing Battlefield with Company of Heroes. Your thoughts?

HupHupOranje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 HupHupOranje
Member since 2006 • 1450 Posts
Bioshock. Not a hard choice.
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

This thread fails for not including Soldier of Fortune: Payback.

/sarcasm

intrigued101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 intrigued101
Member since 2006 • 46 Posts

Definitely Crysis for GOTY and Action FPS. World of Conflict for RTS. The Witcher for RPG.

Runner up for Action FPS/GOTY would have to be STALKER in my opinion, followed by bioshock.

underdark944

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 underdark944
lol @ SoF: Payback it looks like crap...how could someone find a 50$ to spend on this game with all of these great games getting released...
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

lol @ SoF: Payback it looks like crap...how could someone find a 50$ to spend on this game with all of these great games getting released...underdark944

It's actually $40, but it isn't worth that either based on what people are saying about it. Go to its forum. Pretty much nothing but complaints. When I asked what was worse, Vietcong 2 or SoF Payback, someone said Payback is comparable in quality to the Marine Sharpshooter games.

ADG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 ADG_
Member since 2003 • 1654 Posts
So far Stalker is the best game this year, but Crysis is a close second (only at the beginning, let's see how it goes) For expansion pack of the year Civ IV: BTS is the winner
HaloEleven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 HaloEleven
Member since 2004 • 250 Posts

None of them even rate in my Top 3 for GOTY

The Witcher is the best game i've played this year. Followed by STALKER and then Portal.

skyyfox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#9 skyyfox1
Member since 2003 • 13015 Posts

SoF Payback looks like alot of fun... they should have made it $20 and i might buy it.

Crysis is without a doubt GOTY. superb graphics and the best gameplay of any game out now.

Bioshock finishes a close second.

TH3_1NF1D3L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 TH3_1NF1D3L
Member since 2004 • 125 Posts
Well, should and will are competely different IMO. Stalker SHOULD. Crysis WILL.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#11 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts and STALKER are my favouritse of the year.. i havn't played Crysis or some of the new releases yet though.
underdark944

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 underdark944
bump
Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts

Crysis or COD4.

I would say the Orange Box but that's more of a "compilation" than a "game" you know?

Avatar image for AlternatingCaps
AlternatingCaps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AlternatingCaps
Member since 2007 • 1714 Posts

I'm really split. I absolutely love Call of Duty 4, I really like the Crysis demo (getting full thing for the xmas day), and the Orange Box is probably the best value ever (But HL2 won't start up...). I think:

Shooter:

CoD4. Will probably be Crysis

RTS:

World in Conflict. CnC3 as an honorable mention.

RPG:

Haven't played one the entire year. What a realization!

GOTY:

I think it should be Call of Duty, but I haven't played through Crysis (which I imagine will win), so I'll reserve judgement.

Worthy games but not winners+reasons:

Orange Box: Great game (How could you not like HL2?), but the larger portion of it was already released. TF2 is greatfun, but its not really as good a multiplayer game as say BF2 or something. Not as much content and small-scope gameplay. Portal was awesome, but a bit short, as were both HL episodes. Still an awesome package. 9.0 in my book

Bioshock: Excellent SP shooter, but it's not terribly long (that's what she said) and not much replay value. Plus, the last 15% or so isn't nearly as good as the rest.

Laviethan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Laviethan
Member since 2004 • 49 Posts

Crysis for GOTY, nuff said.

_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts
I've said this before, if the Orange Box is considered a single game than it's obviously my GOTY. Portal, TF2 and Episode 2 are all so incredible.
Land-0-Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Land-0-Funk
Member since 2007 • 863 Posts
well since bioshock is the only game i've purchased on this list I guess i'll have to be biased and pick it
kyrieee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kyrieee
Member since 2007 • 978 Posts
I think that HL2:EP2 is the most well designed game I've ever played, and I voted on it, but in a way I think GOTY should be Crysis because it's really what PC gaming is about. Pushing the limits, maybe not game of the year but PC game of the year
underdark944

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 underdark944
Let's bump this up
humbugdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 humbugdude
Member since 2004 • 278 Posts

Bioshock. Not a hard choice.HupHupOranje

IMO Bioshock shouldn;t even be up there. Replace it with Witcher or better yet, Stalker.

Bioshock is the most boring of the hyped games with the worst FPS element. The only new thing is using plasmids to melt ice and light objects on fire.

kaptain_insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 kaptain_insano
Member since 2007 • 144 Posts
everyone seems to be raving about crysis.....maybe its time i pick one up :D lol
swordtossZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 swordtossZ
Member since 2004 • 49 Posts

Game of the year 2007:

The Witcher

RTS Game of the year:

World in Conflict (by far ahead of the other RTSs released this year)

FPS game of the year:

(the hardest choice here)

Process of elimination... Bioshock was a really good game but not GOTY material. Crysis = Farcry 2 + nanosuit. STALKER is out.

All others come really close to FPS GOTY, but I'd have to say the Orange Box (eventhough HL2 ep 2 got really boring after a while), simply because of portal and TF2, and the value.

RPG game of the year:

The Witcher

mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

Game of the year: Crysis

Action/FPS of the year: Crysis

RTS of the year: Medieval 2: Total war: Kingdoms (shame on you for not listing it!)

RPG of the year: The Witcher

I think it's a really tough call between Crysis, The Orange Box and The Witcher for overall goty. I thought Episode 2 was dire and, while brilliant and hilarious, Portal was barely two hours long. Team Fortress 2 is the real champion of The Orange Box as far as I'm concerned. It deserves to win every multiplayer award going this year, and every graphics/technical award going too. As an aside, I really hope we see another Portal game soon. A full, retail, standalone game. The portal gun and puzzle potential is just too great to be constrained to one two hour game. I know there's plenty of user-made maps coming online, but it's just not the same...

The Witcher is simply wonderful, but it has almost no replayability as far as I'm concerned. The astounding length of the single player campaign mostly makes up for that, and yet most of that is spent running back and forth on fairly repetitive kill and collect quests. Plus, some occasionally awkward dialogue brings everything down a little. But on the whole, it's just a roleplaying masterpiece.

Crysis is really something. It's almost annoying that it's so good, since most people assume it's only well liked because of how amazing looking it is. The technology behind it certainly helps, but it's really how well the game plays that makes it great. The large, open areas - the multiple routes, the tools at your disposal, the choices of how, when and even if you engage the enemy. The final few hours aren't so great, and depending on how you play the game, it's arguably too short, but I think how well the game not only allows but facilitates various playstyles, through level design and some astoundingly good AI, really just gives it a ton of replay value. I've already finished it once, I'm playing it through a second time and then I have plans to play i through a third time - each time playing the game in a very different way.

I realise Kingdoms is an expansion, but I still say it easily deserves RTS GOTY. It has four enormous campaign maps, each set in utterly unique settings. It has tons of new armies, units and features. It's as big - arguably bigger - than most full RTS games hitting the shelves these days. It's also half the price of most full RTS games hitting the shelves these days. Pretty much a perfect package.

The Witcher easily takes RPG of the year. It has its flaws, but the good outweighs the bad like a sumo and a toddler on a seesaw. Great story, great combat mechanics, awesome feel to the world, very polished game all round.

Pessu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 Pessu
Member since 2007 • 944 Posts

Goty goes for Crysis, no doubt.

But how can Orange Box be considered as an goty nominee since its not a game but a few games in the same box?

Marcius13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Marcius13
Member since 2007 • 81 Posts

GOTY - Bioshock

Action/Fps-Bioshock

RTS-WorldinConflict

Rpg-Hellgate:London

zaman48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 zaman48
Member since 2006 • 699 Posts
wow, i really need to get some new games... i've been saving my money for such a long time (low budget) to updgrade my computer, i think i've only gotten 1 or 2 games in the past 6 months... i havn't played hardly any, if any at all, of those games in that list
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts

IMO Bioshock shouldn;t even be up there. Replace it with Witcher or better yet, Stalker.

humbugdude

Seconded.

Avatar image for marcusmpcconnor
marcusmpcconnor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 marcusmpcconnor
Member since 2003 • 52 Posts
I think Crysis should definitely be game of the year, it's the most engaging game I've ever played. But I do have to say I don't think games that won a Game of the Year award should be capable of winning another title such as FPS of the year. Because if it wins game of the year then isn't it a no Brainer that it is also the best FPS, therefore its not fare to include it in that category as well.
DDX2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 DDX2
Member since 2004 • 6316 Posts

FPS: Orange Box (TF2 is pretty much my favorite MP FPS now, and Portal was just awesome; still waiting for my fuzzy companion cube dice)

RTS: Supreme Commander

GOTY: Orange Box (followed by Crysis)

MrMuscle69r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MrMuscle69r
Member since 2007 • 123 Posts
Crysis?!? Meh....its good, but Gears of War is better
Inverni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Inverni
Member since 2005 • 246 Posts
[QUOTE="humbugdude"]

RK-Mara

Seconded.

Thirded? Yeah, thirded.

cperry005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 cperry005
Member since 2005 • 490 Posts

Definately not Crysis...

For me it's The Witcher.

Intel Core 2 Quad 6600 CPU
WD Raptor HDD
OCZ 700 watts peak PSU
2x 8800 GT 512 MB in SLI
4 GB Crucial ballistics RAM
ASUS P5N32 E SLI MB w/beta bios
Audigy 2 soundblaster w/optical to reciever
24" Dell widescreen at 1920 x 1600
Running on Vista 32-bit

Come out and play!

Ninja_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ninja_Dog
Member since 2003 • 2615 Posts
[QUOTE="RK-Mara"][QUOTE="humbugdude"]

Inverni

Seconded.

Thirded? Yeah, thirded.

Why? I played Bioshock and it was one of the most polished and lovingly crafted experiences that I have played. Maybe the gameplay is not what everyone was expecting, but the real deal is the story and environments.

Bioshock is GotY for sure.

Grantelicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#34 Grantelicious
Member since 2007 • 1541 Posts
Has to be Crysis really i did love the Orange box but that's a package and not a single game, thought Bioshock was crap and Gears + UT3 suffer from too many bugs and being released too early.
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#35 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
Bioshock was fun. Crysis was... I'm still trying to decide weither it lived up to the hype. Im hoping for revolutionary games like SupCom, but that will never get it because for some reason they like to say that SupCom is demanding on hardware and have that listed as the only bad reason for giving it a 8 rather than a 9. Then when CRYSIS comes along. They act like hardware doesn't mean anything anymore and whip out the 9.5. Hypocritcal or Bribes (maybe just plain stupid)... I can't decide.
19chevelle72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 19chevelle72
Member since 2007 • 186 Posts
You all may wanna try COD4s multiplayer before you vote. Games multiplayer is unmatched, all real weapons, you can add "perks" to you skillset to customize your game for an even more personal feel. And lets not forget the single player. Game was abit short, However the levels were awesome, not repeditive at all, and the graphics were awesome. COD4 GOTY for its total package to enclude bing cross-platform.
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts

Bioshock was fun. Crysis was... I'm still trying to decide weither it lived up to the hype. Im hoping for revolutionary games like SupCom, but that will never get it because for some reason they like to say that SupCom is demanding on hardware and have that listed as the only bad reason for giving it a 8 rather than a 9. Then when CRYSIS comes along. They act like hardware doesn't mean anything anymore and whip out the 9.5. Hypocritcal or Bribes (maybe just plain stupid)... I can't decide.Swiftstrike5

Supcom is just to hardcore. I remember hearing the PC staff @ IGN stating that the game has everything going for it except it's learning curve and that is the biggest turn off. Reviewers need to review for a certain audience and most reviews are direct towards the mainstream pc gamers.

Tysoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Tysoe
Member since 2003 • 27 Posts
My GOTY is definately The Witcher. It's been a great game from start to finish. The wife and I played it for 60 hours and loved every minute. None of the games on the Poll even came close, but I did like Crysis and Stalker.
underdark944

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 underdark944
I didnt' list Kingdoms because it's an expansion and honestly it's not innovative or "wow" factor of an RTS GOTY. World in Conflict really is something new (besides Ground Control). I can't wait to play through the Witcher this Christmas...