No active network problem

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

So I've had this Windows problem for 2 days now and its driving me nuts.

In the network and sharing center, under active networks, I don't have any, but I can use the Internet and almost everything else fine. The only problem is with Windows Update being that I cant use it because it needs to see an "active network"

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@GTR12 said:

In the network and sharing center, under active networks, I don't have any, but I can use the Internet and almost everything else fine. The only problem is with Windows Update being that I cant use it because it needs to see an "active network"

Does reinstalling the Network Adapter Driver bring it back up?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GTR12

@FelipeInside: Nope, done it in safe mode as well.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FelipeInside

@GTR12: I've read some people on the net have the same issue. I'm safe to assume you have read through all those forums? Quite a few different suggestions to try.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts
@GTR12 said:

Which version of Windows are you using for starters?

-Byshop

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GTR12

@FelipeInside: Tried them all

@Byshop: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, the problem seems to stem from W7, but that had the option of "forgetting networks" so you could get that wizard to pop-up and run through again, which they removed from W8 onwards.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Byshop  Moderator

@GTR12: What kind of network are you connected to? Wired or wireless? Are you behind a router? If so, post the results of your IPCONFIG /ALL.

-Byshop

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GTR12

@Byshop:Wired, behind a router (TP-Link C2600)

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : BC-5F-F4-35-85-F2

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2002:c0a8:6402:1:d884:2f47:2e2a:973d(Preferred)

Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2002:c0a8:6402:1:61ee:ce1:971c:6d(Preferred)

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d884:2f47:2e2a:973d%3(Preferred)

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2(Preferred)

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, 8 October 2015 7:55:00 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, 15 November 2151 9:26:36 PM

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::62e3:27ff:fe21:43bb%3

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 45899764

DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1D-A8-D4-AD-BC-5F-F4-35-85-F2

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:4860:4860::8888

2001:4860:4860::8844

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{E7115334-2795-44C5-B3F7-F94563A63F85}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:9d38:6abd:3cd8:a31:f136:e1(Preferred)

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::3cd8:a31:f136:e1%5(Preferred)

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 134217728

DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1D-A8-D4-AD-BC-5F-F4-35-85-F2

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Sorry for the mess, GS wont let me format it.

It all appears fine from a networking POV, its just Windows thinking its broken for whatever reason.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FelipeInside

@GTR12 said:

It all appears fine from a networking POV, its just Windows thinking its broken for whatever reason.

Was it an upgrade install mate?

My upgrade initially had the Store App broken. I tried everything but in the end I had to do a clean install.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GTR12

@FelipeInside said:
@GTR12 said:

My upgrade initially had the Store App broken. I tried everything but in the end I had to do a clean install.

Nope, fresh install (about a month ago now)

I really don't want to reinstall everything again, but if I cant get this solved by Monday, I guess I'll reinstall.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FelipeInside

@GTR12 said:
@FelipeInside said:
@GTR12 said:

I really don't want to reinstall everything again, but if I cant get this solved by Monday, I guess I'll reinstall.

Have you tried a "refresh" ?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GTR12

@FelipeInside said:
@GTR12 said:
@FelipeInside said:
@GTR12 said:

Have you tried a "refresh" ?

Just tried it, and that doesn't work either.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Byshop  Moderator

@GTR12: That's really bizarre. What is the exact error message that Windows Update is giving you?

-Byshop

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GTR12

@Byshop: "Windows Update was unable to check for updates as no active connection was found"

Please connect this PC to the internet.

Then it says something about tethering a mobile or a VPN connection, which shows for 2-3 secs and disappears.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Byshop  Moderator

This could be a NIC driver or NIC configuration issue. There are a couple specific protocols that are necessary for Windows to build its "map" of your network. Open up the properties of your NIC and make sure all the "Link Layer Topology" boxes are checked. There are also several services that need to be running in order for this to work, including the Network List Service, DCOM Server Process Launcher, Remote Procedure Call (RPC), and Network Location Awareness.

If none of that works, I'd look at replacing the NIC driver with an updated one.

-Byshop

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FelipeInside

@Byshop said:

If none of that works, I'd look at replacing the NIC driver with an updated one.

To add to that it could be as simple as the driver installed is not fully compatible with Win10 and hence causing these issues.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

There's also the posibility of Windows Update being broken, even though I've never experienced it in this context. MS has an automated, downloadable WU fixer available for download.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Byshop  Moderator

@MlauTheDaft said:

There's also the posibility of Windows Update being broken, even though I've never experienced it in this context. MS has an automated, downloadable WU fixer available for download.

That's likely not the issue. He said his active networks list is missing all networks. The fact that the active network list isn't working is a root cause that screws up a number of things, and the error message he's getting from Windows Update is consistent with that as the culprit. Unless the fix you are referring to troubleshoots the Windows network mapping functions (and it might), then it probably won't help this issue.

-Byshop

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GTR12

@Byshop said:

This could be a NIC driver or NIC configuration issue. There are a couple specific protocols that are necessary for Windows to build its "map" of your network. Open up the properties of your NIC and make sure all the "Link Layer Topology" boxes are checked. There are also several services that need to be running in order for this to work, including the Network List Service, DCOM Server Process Launcher, Remote Procedure Call (RPC), and Network Location Awareness.

-Byshop

Tried all that, that's actually one of the first things I tried (besides turning the computer off and on lol)

I removed the NIC driver completely from safe mode, turned PC off, removed CMOS battery for 20 mins or so, assuming it would forget everything, booted up and installed an updated driver and W10 still saw nothing, even though it was working.

Thanks everyone for trying to help, I gave up after a week of it and reinstalled everything, I hope it doesn't happen again.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@Byshop said:
@MlauTheDaft said:

That's likely not the issue. He said his active networks list is missing all networks. The fact that the active network list isn't working is a root cause that screws up a number of things, and the error message he's getting from Windows Update is consistent with that as the culprit. Unless the fix you are referring to troubleshoots the Windows network mapping functions (and it might), then it probably won't help this issue.

-Byshop

Yeah, I guess I was mentally elsewhere and jumped the gun. Sorry bout that.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

I use Broadcom NIC too. If you down load the newest driver from their site... You have to manual install it the old school way with "have disk".

I just recently bought a BCM5751 and my on board BCM 57781 work just peachy with win 10.

However I know my friend keeps loosing his LAN connection randomly and he uses a onboard BCM 57781 with windows 10.

Does suck that MS keep's removing features that were useful. I wanted to get rid of old networks but can't unless I go digging in the registry.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GTR12

@Truth_Hurts_U said:

I use Broadcom NIC too. If you down load the newest driver from their site... You have to manual install it the old school way with "have disk".

I just recently bought a BCM5751 and my on board BCM 57781 work just peachy with win 10.

However I know my friend keeps loosing his LAN connection randomly and he uses a onboard BCM 57781 with windows 10.

Does suck that MS keep's removing features that were useful. I wanted to get rid of old networks but can't unless I go digging in the registry.

I wasn't "losing" the connection, Windows just thought I had no connection.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Truth_Hurts_U

@GTR12: Was talking about my friend, not you... But try typing settings in manually. This seems to help when people are having problems with their network adapter.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FelipeInside

@Truth_Hurts_U said:

@GTR12: Was talking about my friend, not you... But try typing settings in manually. This seems to help when people are having problems with their network adapter.

He already fixed it

"Thanks everyone for trying to help, I gave up after a week of it and reinstalled everything,"

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Truth_Hurts_U

@FelipeInside: He said he "gave up" and reinstalled everything and hopes it doesn't happen again. This is a step he can take for if it happens again.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GTR12

@FelipeInside said:
@Truth_Hurts_U said:

He already fixed it

"Thanks everyone for trying to help, I gave up after a week of it and reinstalled everything,"

I wouldn't say I fixed it lol, I just chose the easy-way out.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Byshop  Moderator

@GTR12 said:
@FelipeInside said:
@Truth_Hurts_U said:

He already fixed it

I wouldn't say I fixed it lol, I just chose the easy-way out.

Well, keep these troubleshooting steps in your back pocket if it happens again. Remember which services populate the network list and protocols are required for it to work.

-Byshop