New to Steam, a few questions?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BMAC520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BMAC520
Member since 2004 • 310 Posts

So, I just got on Steam with L4D2, and was curious about the way it works when it comes to purchasing games.

1) When you purchase a game, does it download onto your hardrive or do you just play it online?

2) When you purchase a game, is there a limit to the number of times you can download the game? Or a limit to how many computers it can be on?

3) Due games tend to be cheaper on steam? (Since you don't get a disc, box)

Thanks

NoctisCaelum52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 NoctisCaelum52
Member since 2009 • 1359 Posts
Yes. Games are cheaper on Steam. Especially when it's on sale. You get like 12+ games for only 30-50 bucks.
ArchDuke1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ArchDuke1
Member since 2008 • 310 Posts
1) Hardrive yes. 2) No, all it matters is that the account downloading those multiple times is the same.
haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 haberman13
Member since 2003 • 2414 Posts

1. It installed to your harddrive in c:\prog files\Steam\steamapps - just like a normal game, but in that location

2. No limit, but you can only be signed into Steam on 1 computer at a time, obviously to prevent sharing Steam accounts

3. No, BUT, Steam has amazing sales every week that will beat Best Buy etc. everytime

Steam is incredible, I own 40+ games on it, I would never ever ever go back to buying DVD/CD again. Digital Distribution, especially on Steam is amazing.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

So, I just got on Steam with L4D2, and was curious about the way it works when it comes to purchasing games.

1) When you purchase a game, does it download onto your hardrive or do you just play it online?

2) When you purchase a game, is there a limit to the number of times you can download the game? Or a limit to how many computers it can be on?

Thanks

BMAC520

1) It downloads to your hard drive. You have to download/install every game you purchase through steam.

2) There is no limit that I have ever been made aware of for downloading games. You can put the game on any number of computers you want; however you can only play the game through the account that it was purchased on. Therefore you can only utilize the game on one computer at any given time since you are only allowed to be logged into your account on the Steam servers at 1 time. If someone else tries to log into your account while you are logged on....they are either denied or you are booted and then they logon - I'm not sure which happens. I hear there are ways around this, but that's just hearsay on my part. I've never actually looked into it.

3) Games can be cheaper on Steam - it all depends on the developer/owner of the game. Steam cannot just sell the rights to use these games for whatever price they want to.

gamer620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gamer620
Member since 2004 • 3367 Posts
I dont think people realize that there ARE occasionally games that have securom installed which only allow up to 5 reinstalls. Just check the game page closely and it will tell you... 99% of the games don't have this problem thouugh
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58416 Posts

Thanks

BMAC520

1. Yes, it downloads to your harddrive

2. No, there is no limit to how many times you can download. There is no limit to the number of PCs, either, the only condition is that you can only be logged into steam on one computer.

So, you can have Steam on your computer. But lets say you go visit a friend a few hours away. If you log off of Steam on your computer, you can go on your friends computer, download Steam, login as yourself and download onto his PC.

3. No, games receive no discount due to lack of packaging. However, Steam always has insane deals going on. usually there is some sort of midweek discount, and prices in general and cheaper than the stores. Also, no sales tax (five-dollar discount right there).

Steam is really awesome; likely a PC gamers best friend. A lot of folks dont like digital distribution because they prefer hard copies, but you cant deny Steam is a lifesaver and great.

Sometimes it gets a bit bogged down if a lot of people are downloading (Like during december's holiday sale, which was epic...got 500 dollars worth of games for 150 dollarsa!) but outside of that its flawless. Their customer support is excellent too

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts
I dont think people realize that there ARE occasionally games that have securom installed which only allow up to 5 reinstalls. Just check the game page closely and it will tell you... 99% of the games don't have this problem thouughgamer620
I think I saw talk about this with Stalker Clear Sky at the Steam forum, but the thread I saw was about how the latest patch removed that limitation only for the Steam version of Clear Sky. So, seems that your best bet of removal of this type of thing is via. Steam games. Only thing worry some about Steam is if they feel you broke their rules, they can lock your account and there isn't a thing you can do about it...
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
[QUOTE="gamer620"]I dont think people realize that there ARE occasionally games that have securom installed which only allow up to 5 reinstalls. Just check the game page closely and it will tell you... 99% of the games don't have this problem thouughThreesixtyci
I think I saw talk about this with Stalker Clear Sky at the Steam forum, but the thread I saw was about how the latest patch removed that limitation only for the Steam version of Clear Sky. So, seems that your best bet of removal of this type of thing is via. Steam games. Only thing worry some about Steam is if they feel you broke their rules, they can lock your account and there isn't a thing you can do about it...

And it's hard to obey those simple, moral rules, no? Don't swear on the chat in game, on the steam forums, don't try to steal accounts, don't spam the forums. I don't care how much somebody has spent on their Steam games, I personally want them banned from Steam if they can't follow those simple rules. We play games for fun, we don't play them to get stressed by stupid people.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58416 Posts

[QUOTE="Threesixtyci"][QUOTE="gamer620"]I dont think people realize that there ARE occasionally games that have securom installed which only allow up to 5 reinstalls. Just check the game page closely and it will tell you... 99% of the games don't have this problem thouughDanielDust

And it's hard to obey those simple, moral rules, no? Don't swear on the chat in game, on the steam forums, don't try to steal accounts, don't spam the forums. I don't care how much somebody has spent on their Steam games, I personally want them banned from Steam if they can't follow those simple rules. We play games for fun, we don't play them to get stressed by stupid people.

I think a suspension is a more balanced punishment.

Player: "Damn I hate you, stupid ****"
Steam: "We regret to inform you that your outburst has caused your account to be banned. You will not receive a refund for the $2,356.23 you spent on games. Thank you."

Yea...that does not seem right.

Not to mention it is not Steam's place to regulate how the games are played, only how theyre bought and distributed. VAC plays a certain roll as to the legitimacy of gamers, but thats as far as it goes

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Threesixtyci
[QUOTE="DanielDust"] And it's hard to obey those simple, moral rules, no? Don't swear on the chat in game, on the steam forums, don't try to steal accounts, don't spam the forums. I don't care how much somebody has spent on their Steam games, I personally want them banned from Steam if they can't follow those simple rules. We play games for fun, we don't play them to get stressed by stupid people.

Oh sure, and lets kill everyone that runs a red light and/or speeds, too.
gamer620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gamer620
Member since 2004 • 3367 Posts

[QUOTE="gamer620"]I dont think people realize that there ARE occasionally games that have securom installed which only allow up to 5 reinstalls. Just check the game page closely and it will tell you... 99% of the games don't have this problem thouughThreesixtyci

Crysis Maximum edition and I believe Bioshock has the securom DRM also.

yes, definitely crysis does.

3rd-party DRM:SecuROM™

5 machine activation limit

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Threesixtyci

Well, at least it tells you... anyway. Although, you do have to know were to look. It's over on the right side; under the metascore stuff.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
[QUOTE="Threesixtyci"][QUOTE="DanielDust"] And it's hard to obey those simple, moral rules, no? Don't swear on the chat in game, on the steam forums, don't try to steal accounts, don't spam the forums. I don't care how much somebody has spent on their Steam games, I personally want them banned from Steam if they can't follow those simple rules. We play games for fun, we don't play them to get stressed by stupid people.

Oh sure, and lets kill everyone that runs a red light and/or speeds, too.

....I see why you would hate the Steam rules. It's let's leave them without their car and driver's licence and we should do that. I never heard of a sane person to lose their life for games, but maybe you know something. Yes mrbojangles, suspension would be a good warning, but not for a 2nd time and their rules say nothing about the way you should play a game, those rules are to ensure that the others will enjoy their games they way they should, a warning would be good, but if that user does the same thing over and over again, a VAC ban is required, about stealing accounts and disabling of the accounts, no comment there, I doubt anyone has any problems with that.
hamoksha0000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 hamoksha0000
Member since 2005 • 234 Posts

Steam is great i got games cheaper and the exe just make the updates auto with out notify me and steam just great . i think every one should try it

-clippa-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 -clippa-
Member since 2008 • 596 Posts

Steam is never cheaper than online shops but you do get sales and stuff.