New to PC Gaming - A hardware upgrade question

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ShermheadRyder (101 posts) -

I've been a gamer for as long as I can remember, but until recently I was rarely into PC Gaming. I have an average laptop for everyday things (a Sony Vaio), but it's pretty average for gaming. 

Is there anyone out there who knows how easy it would be to upgrade/replace the video card or the processor?

Thanks in advance

#2 Posted by gp19 (4252 posts) -
Sadly, most laptops, like the Sony Vaio, have the GPU and CPU soldered to the motherboard making them impossible to replace. The only upgradable parts in most laptops are the RAM and the HDD. It would be better to keep that laptop for everyday use and build yourself a gaming deskptop.
#3 Posted by Stinger78 (5842 posts) -
[QUOTE="gp19"]Sadly, most laptops, like the Sony Vaio, have the GPU and CPU soldered to the motherboard making them impossible to replace. The only upgradable parts in most laptops are the RAM and the HDD. It would be better to keep that laptop for everyday use and build yourself a gaming deskptop.

I agree. Also, a 'gaming computer' doesn't have to cost thousands. In many cases even, desktop parts cost about half the price of laptop parts, and at least when you put together a desktop, you'll have a lot better idea on how things go together, and you'll know more if you ever decided to upgrade later. I've often taken 'barebone' systems like ones from tigerdirect or newegg, and just put in a new video card and power supply and they've been decent for gaming.
#4 Posted by ionusX (25755 posts) -

[QUOTE="gp19"]Sadly, most laptops, like the Sony Vaio, have the GPU and CPU soldered to the motherboard making them impossible to replace. The only upgradable parts in most laptops are the RAM and the HDD. It would be better to keep that laptop for everyday use and build yourself a gaming deskptop.Stinger78
I agree. Also, a 'gaming computer' doesn't have to cost thousands. In many cases even, desktop parts cost about half the price of laptop parts, and at least when you put together a desktop, you'll have a lot better idea on how things go together, and you'll know more if you ever decided to upgrade later. I've often taken 'barebone' systems like ones from tigerdirect or newegg, and just put in a new video card and power supply and they've been decent for gaming.

indeed you can do a basic machine for about $650 before your motior, keyboard, and mouse. about 760 after

#5 Posted by Stinger78 (5842 posts) -
Not that getting a new desktop would be cheaper than upgrading parts, it's just a better solution for customization and any future upgrading needs. If you decide you would like to put something together, feel free to ask because that's why there's a PC Hardware forum. But again, for now, you'll pretty-much have to just stick with the laptop you have.