New RTS games for an old gamer?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for gorillatripping
GorillaTripping

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GorillaTripping
Member since 2016 • 18 Posts

Hi everybody, so I haven't been playing games for a couple of years now and I have fallen of the track.

Now I finally have time and would love to play some RTS games but I can't seem to find any, I really liked the C&C type of games where you build up a base, upgrade the base and units and the units have special abilities. Other games i really liked were Age Of Mythology, Warcraft III, Battle for Middle Earth, Rise of Nations, Total War, so those types of games.

So if somebody can please recommend me some games that have at least some of those features or resemble these games?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

My picks would be Supreme Commander (has a slight hint of the C&C DNA, but very different resource management, you can still sit in the base though and build an army, the resource model is more akin to C&C generals, then base C&C

Grey Goo which is made by some of the people who made C&C might be worth looking into

Total War Warhammer, is an odd one I might point to, see it IS a total war game, but it has a lot of different aspects that you don't find in the base Total war games, and I find it the best total war game they ever made (With Shogun 2 being the runner up).

You did not ask for it, and in a lot of ways it does not really fit what you are looking for, but Company of Heroes 1 is cheap nowadays, it still has base building and such, but it is more a game of holding key points out in the map, then the base. So I would only look at it if there was nothing else.

Oh, and if you have not played it, C&C 3 and its expansion were REALLY good C&C games.

Starcraft 2 has a free version, it is somewhat basic, but since you liked warcraft, you can download it and see if it is a game you would want to play. It has some pretty darn good SP missions and skirmish is fun.

Act Of Agression is very close to C&C aswell, it has some slight polish issues, and a few aspects I do not like, but it also has most of what you ask for, as far as I know, it was made with Generals as a role model, it is a fairly good game.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

TW: Warhammer... I love it.

I would second Grey Goo - it's got a Starcraft+C&C feel to it. So far in my time with it it feels a bit derivative, but it also has very good production value - while its inspirations are maybe too clear, it does a good job taking from them instead of feeling cheap.

I like the Company of Heroes games, but agree with Maddie that the flavor might diverge a bit from what you highlighted as your interests. Still, different might be nice

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#4 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

didnt see Red Alert on your list there. But if you haven't played it, play all of them, Red alert 1-3. Red Alert 2 is probably my favourite followed by the original.

Also Starcraft 2, you can probably buy the game now with all 3 expansion in it, which is probably over 40-60 hours of gameplay for the single player alone, depending on how quickly you play.

Homeworld Deserts of Kharak is newer rts game, i haven't played it yet but its probably the next rts game i'm going to play since I heard its good. And maybe thinking of trying Ashes of the Singularity at some point also.

CommandoAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 CommandoAgent
Member since 2005 • 1703 Posts

8-Bit Armies.

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts

Company of Heroes series is one of my favorite RTS games, but I would look into Halo Wars 2 when it comes out next year also. Until then, everyone's suggestions here I would recommend!

Avatar image for gorillatripping
GorillaTripping

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GorillaTripping
Member since 2016 • 18 Posts

Supreme Commander was one of the last games I've played, didn't liked it, I also tried Grey Goo before starting this thread, it looked empty, soulless to me. I would probably try Act of Aggression, TW Warhammer for sure, and I was never a fan of Starcraft oddly, but maybe I'll give it a go.

And I am ashamed that I didn't list Red Alert as it is one of the best games ever! Kirov reporting!

Thanks everybody, If you have some more suggestions I'am all ears.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

@gorillatripping: World in Conflict - not so new but not so old neither.

grizzlybeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By grizzlybeer
Member since 2016 • 8 Posts

If you try Company of Heroes and don't mind the lesser emphasis on base building, definitely give Warhammer Dawn of War II a go. Although the first DoW is good too and has more emphasis on base building and upgrades.

Heroes of Might and Magic III & V if you decide to venture into turn-based strategy. Also Disciples II (Not III!).