New PSU = Higher temps. ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ATLReppa770

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ATLReppa770
Member since 2005 • 4208 Posts

I recently replaced my OCZ GXS 850W with the Corsair HX850, and I've noticed an increase of about 5 to 8 degrees in my GPU and about 2 degrees in CPU. I was playing Bulletstorm and accidently forgot to crank the fan to 70% from 60%, and my GPU hit 95 degrees ! I know that's not the max temp. threshold, but that's still extremely high with the fan at 60%. The highest it has ever went is (with the GXS) is the low 80s and that was w/ 60% fan speed. Has anyone else noticed this when they replaced their PSU? And, is this acceptable?

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
Can't help with temps, but why don't you set a fan profile so the fan runs flat out before your GPU gets to those temps?
ATLReppa770

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ATLReppa770
Can't help with temps, but why don't you set a fan profile so the fan runs flat out before your GPU gets to those temps?C_Rule
I should, and probably will soon but I still don't think it's acceptable to have a 8 degree increase when UPGRADING the power supply; not to mention, it sounds just as loud as the previous one.
Obiwan_1O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Obiwan_1O
Member since 2003 • 286 Posts

its hard for me to believe but perhaps the fan isent working as well

__Kaine__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 __Kaine__
Member since 2010 • 1306 Posts

That's a major temperature increase.. I doubt the PSU would do such thing.. so your GPU fan has probably worn out.. I recommend you to replace it before your card goes bye-bye..

Also.. SmartDoctor's SmartCooling fan control is quite handy to avoid high temperatures while increasing the life span of the fan..

ATLReppa770

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ATLReppa770

So, it just so happened to go out JUST as my new power supply was installed (never an issue before)? I read some forums online that different PSUs will give higher, or lower temps. depending on their output ambient temp. This PSU is guaranteed to output at >50 degrees (ambient).

__Kaine__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 __Kaine__
Member since 2010 • 1306 Posts

Did you try installing back your old PSU.. (if not broken) and see if the card still overheated..? I would recommend you to do so before taking any action that involves spending money.. if the problem persists then it really was a coincidence that your GPU fan wore out right when you installed the new PSU..

swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 swehunt
Member since 2008 • 3637 Posts

So, it just so happened to go out JUST as my new power supply was installed (never an issue before)? I read some forums online that different PSUs will give higher, or lower temps. depending on their output ambient temp. This PSU is guaranteed to output at >50 degrees (ambient).

ATLReppa770
Your Case has to little airflow, that is the only expl. Corsair hx PSU's have excellent efficiency and it generates very little heat so it dont need a powerful fan, with the very powerful hx850 and the rig in your sig the fan on it dont need to even start even while you are maxing the wattage usage, so your PSU isnt moving air where the older perhaps did so with a better PSU you would get less airflow in your case. This is the logical expl. if it REALLY just was due to the PSU change. I never build my PC's with the PSU fan as an "extra" fan, and i rather have more fans in the PC to keep temps low, what case do you got?
ATLReppa770

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ATLReppa770
[QUOTE="ATLReppa770"]

swehunt
Your Case has to little airflow, that is the only expl. Corsair hx PSU's have excellent efficiency and it generates very little heat so it dont need a powerful fan, with the very powerful hx850 and the rig in your sig the fan on it dont need to even start even while you are maxing the wattage usage, so your PSU isnt moving air where the older perhaps did so with a better PSU you would get less airflow in your case. This is the logical expl. if it REALLY just was due to the PSU change. I never build my PC's with the PSU fan as an "extra" fan, and i rather have more fans in the PC to keep temps low, what case do you got?

Antec 900, and the cable management is basically perfect, and the best it can be. I'll have to try what the other user stated ... which is really a pain in the ___.