New power supply burning smell?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Former_Slacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Former_Slacker
Member since 2009 • 2618 Posts

I put upgraded my new computer with a new PSU to power a 5770, I've upgraded a few pc's in the past and have so far upgraded 3 psu's. Everytime I upgrade there always seems to be a burning smell coming from the new psu and it is also coming from my latest one. I've upgraded to a corsair 650w so it's no lousy quality psu. Anyone else ever get a burning smell from new psus? I'm kind of worried that the 3 that I've upgraded might be faulty. Also all 3 were corsairs.

kaitanuvax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 kaitanuvax
Member since 2007 • 3814 Posts

Nope, never got a burning smell. Did get a piece of wrapping plastic twig stuck on the fan though, made a buzzing noise until I finally got it off a week after purchase. >.>

Snotweasel530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Snotweasel530
Member since 2010 • 636 Posts

My old motherboard ate PSUs like my old '81 Riviera ate altenators. Probably poor grounding through a manufacturing or engineering error.

mutenpika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mutenpika
Member since 2004 • 2940 Posts
I've gotten it before on multiple computers. My guess is that the internal grease they use to keep the internals safe during shipping is heating and evaporating. It should go away after a couple weeks. If it doesn't, or gets noticeably worse, give the computer two aspirin and call the PSU manufacturer.
Rhamsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Rhamsus
Member since 2007 • 1078 Posts
[QUOTE="mutenpika"]I've gotten it before on multiple computers. My guess is that the internal grease they use to keep the internals safe during shipping is heating and evaporating. It should go away after a couple weeks. If it doesn't, or gets noticeably worse, give the computer two aspirin and call the PSU manufacturer.

This^ It's common. Don't worry.
flyingsnail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 flyingsnail
Member since 2009 • 793 Posts
I have a corsair tx 850, I got a funny burning smell for the first day or two and then it went away. I believe it is perfectly normal.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#7 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I've gotten a burning smell from a desktop I've purchased before.. and then it went away after a few days.
BDK-Soft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BDK-Soft
Member since 2009 • 795 Posts
Obviously I can't smell how bad it is from where I am, but usually when you first power it up and the internal components start to heat up they'll smell a little bit. It should go away after a couple of days to a week. If the smell doesn't go away after some time, you should RMA it.
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
*Smells 4 day old TP-650* Nope, no burning smell. o_O