New headphones/speakers

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thesimpsons2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 thesimpsons2
Member since 2005 • 869 Posts

Hi

My EDimensional AudioFX headphones broke today. one ear works but the other doesn't and the lights don't work. It is definately bust.

Should I get new Speakers which I already have and they work. They are Altec Lansing. Or should I get new headphones.

I have Vista. If it is headphones then i want full surround sound and I want TOP quality as I listen to a lot of movies, games and music and my friend always says how my sound is crap quality so I want to have awesome quality.

Thanks

sgac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 sgac
Member since 2006 • 434 Posts

Hi

My EDimensional AudioFX headphones broke today. one ear works but the other doesn't and the lights don't work. It is definately bust.

Should I get new Speakers which I already have and they work. They are Altec Lansing. Or should I get new headphones.

I have Vista. If it is headphones then i want full surround sound and I want TOP quality as I listen to a lot of movies, games and music and my friend always says how my sound is crap quality so I want to have awesome quality.

Thanks

thesimpsons2
dEPENDS ON YOUR PERSONAL PREFERANCE, First get a Creative Labs Soundblaster Xi-Fi Elite Pro soundcard as this will definitly give you top quality sound, miles better than normal onboard 7.1 sound in games, movies and music..  If you but headphones make sure the bass is strong and ask if you can try them first, as for a brand to look for, try Razor,or Senhieser, if speakers, well it depends on your room size and shape.  Are you Altec Lansings 2.1 or 5.1? cause for gaming, you definitly want 5.1 or more.  For a 5.1 system look at the Logitech Z-5500( I think thats the right name) and for 7.1(an extra 2 sattelite speakers, left and right) get the Creative Gigaworks S750 set.  Both these sets are THX Certified and will blow your ears off at top volume and they also deliver top notch sound.
thesimpsons2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 thesimpsons2
Hi
I have a Creative X-FI X-Treme Music and I won't upgrade until Creative sort there rubbish drivers out. I want headphones now as they are what I need. I want to buy online so do you know of any top ones out right now that act as full surround sound like speakers are?
sgac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 sgac
Hi
I have a Creative X-FI X-Treme Music and I won't upgrade until Creative sort there rubbish drivers out. I want headphones now as they are what I need. I want to buy online so do you know of any top ones out right now that act as full surround sound like speakers are?thesimpsons2
to be quite honest,from what I have read and heard, headphones that have their own built in surround sound are preety pants, you'd be far better opting for a very good set of stereo headphones(I don't know any particular names but ask people on the forums if they know of good sets from the brands I mentioned above) and use the Xi-Fi's CMSS-3D Headphone feature as this'll no doubt give a far more convincing surround sound effect than surround headphones.  I hope this is a help to you
sgac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 sgac
[QUOTE="thesimpsons2"]Hi
I have a Creative X-FI X-Treme Music and I won't upgrade until Creative sort there rubbish drivers out. I want headphones now as they are what I need. I want to buy online so do you know of any top ones out right now that act as full surround sound like speakers are?sgac
to be quite honest,from what I have read and heard, headphones that have their own built in surround sound are preety pants,I should know, I have a set of Sony wireless 3D surround sound headphones with vibration and the 3D sound effect is pretty naff in PC games and movies,all it does is add an echo to the sound to make it sound more spatial, you'd be far better opting for a very good set of stereo headphones(I don't know any particular names but ask people on the forums if they know of good sets from the brands I mentioned above) and use the Xi-Fi's CMSS-3D Headphone feature as this'll no doubt give a far more convincing surround sound effect than surround headphones.  I hope this is a help to you

thesimpsons2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thesimpsons2
My Edimensional headphones had surround sound and they sounded amazing. can you please give examples of any awesome headphones?
Avatar image for MercenaryKnight
MercenaryKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MercenaryKnight
Member since 2003 • 396 Posts

Don't bother with creative sound cards in vista until they actually give you functioning software and drivers. I had to download somebody elses hacked/ leaked software because creative's won't work for me.

I would say sennheiser headphones are pretty good. I got the ones that cover your ears so it can block out most of the surrounding sounds.

Avatar image for Einhanderkiller
Einhanderkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Einhanderkiller
Member since 2003 • 13259 Posts
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&Description=sennheiser&bop=And&Order=PRICED
9mmSpliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 9mmSpliff
Member since 2005 • 21751 Posts
Sennheiser HD555 or 500 series. Theyre the bomb.  Theyre my next headphones.  My Zalman surround theatre 6 were great, but the X-Fi helped them lots with bass. 
thesimpsons2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thesimpsons2

Are they good for gaming and surround sound?

Are they better than my Edimensional ones?

chaos386

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 chaos386
Member since 2002 • 3137 Posts
Get a pair of Grado SR-60 headphones. "Surround sound" headphones are just a gimmick.
Menelyagor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Menelyagor
Member since 2005 • 851 Posts

Heres what you want: Sennheiser HD555 or HD515 depending on how much cash you have. And, yes they are good. And if its speakers you want, Logitech Z-5500's hands down. I own a pair of these, and man are they crazy.

P.S Altec Lansing sucks. 

thesimpsons2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thesimpsons2

Don't really like the look of them.

Are there any Vibrating headphones? My EDimensional ones had that and that was awesome.

thesimpsons2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 thesimpsons2
Are these good http://www.razerzone.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_16&products_id=38
BihgPoppah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BihgPoppah
Member since 2005 • 45 Posts

The answer to this question varies GREATLY with how much $$ you want to spend... you get what you pay for, but there are "sweet spots" in the price/performance ratio.

I love headphones, and as such have 4 different pairs depending on what I'm doing. For music and gaming, I use my Grado 225s - a little pricey at $200, but they sound AWESOME!

For work (editing) I use either Beyer Dynamic DT250s or Sony MDR-7506 for more of a 'flat' sound (better for mixing etc).

For on-the-go, I have a chepo pair of earbuds and a nicer pair of in-ear-monitors (Ultimate Ears) for when I need isolation.

The surround headphones really aren't worth it - you'd be much better off with a solid pair of stereo cans and a good sound card that does 3D (the heaphone 3D in games on my X-FI FPS is AWESOME - even just the little demo of the helicopter in the control panel is cool with my GRados!!!)

but I can give you more specific answers for YOU if you share your budget - that really affects the entire process. 

thesimpsons2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 thesimpsons2

Surround sound aside, I have heard that these are awesome headphones and I have read reviews that say they are great.

Would they work properly with my Creative X-FI X-TREME MUSIC?

thesimpsons2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 thesimpsons2

Hi

Can anyone answer?

thesimpsons2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 thesimpsons2

hello? Are they good headphones for what I do (gaming, watching movies, listening to music and video editing)?

Are they fully compatible with my Sound card?

thesimpsons2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 thesimpsons2
Can anyone help?
DirkVDV01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DirkVDV01
Member since 2004 • 20155 Posts
Can anyone help?thesimpsons2
Go with the ones Menelyagor recommended!
cell_dweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 cell_dweller  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 19867 Posts
The HD555 is probably the best one. Go with that.
Menelyagor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Menelyagor
Hello? Who the hell cares what they friggin look like, dont bite into gimmicky looks. HD555's will rock your socks off, and stop being annoying and focusing only on what YOU ask and immediately demanding an answer. We're giving you damn good suggestions, and if we didnt suggest one, it probably means they suck. I would say stay away from the lamo razers. And please stop being so pushy.

P.S
Vibrating headphones? That sounds absolutely terrible, think of how much that would cut the headphones lifespan down.
RoganSarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 RoganSarine
Member since 2005 • 1490 Posts

Ha, okay... Lets add to Menelyagor.

Razor Barracuda are horrific. Lets just lay this out nice and simple just so I don't have to spend 5 years explaining it because I don't really care as you seem so intent on what you want that I doubt your going to listen.

Barracuda's use tension bands which are fragile in comparison to other non-tension band headsets
They're gimmicky LED's are extremely poor- there are stories of them burning out as soon as 3 days.
They suck without the Razer sound card.

They are decent though, but with the Razer soundcard.

If you want to go with flash, get the barracuda's. They'll be better then your quality forsaken EDimensionals that I've enver even heard of. And doing over 4 months of headset research for mine, I can tell you that I've never once heard the name.

But, if you want price bang for quality?

HD515's or HD555's. They don't have a microphone, but the zalman clip-on microphone works wonders. Menelyagor uses this microphone... and I thought clip-ons would suck. Boy, was I wrong. Better quality them my microphone built into my headset.

Basically your choices when it comes down to it?

SteelPad 5H V2 (Make sure it's V2. Most people mistake it for the V1 which had many architectural errors) - Perfect for lanning
Icemat Siberia (Havn't tried them, but they used tension bands... And I always drop my headset so I didn't want them)

Sennheiser +HD5## - Anything in the 500 or higher is the best rated headset ever. Get a microphone.

Now stop being ignorant and wanting help but not listening to anyone. This place normally knows what their talking about. If it's not recommended, it probably ain't good buddy.

thesimpsons2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 thesimpsons2

Hi

I was looking at the SteelSound 5H v2 Headset. They look really good but they seem a bit cheap compared to most others I have seen. Is there a reason for this. Also the HD595 I was looking at said it was great for listening to music. Are they good for gaming aswell?

Menelyagor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Menelyagor

Hi

I was looking at the SteelSound 5H v2 Headset. They look really good but they seem a bit cheap compared to most others I have seen. Is there a reason for this. Also the HD595 I was looking at said it was great for listening to music. Are they good for gaming aswell?

thesimpsons2

Just cause their cheaper doesnt make them worse at all, there a great headets, but in terms of sound quality they dont compare to any Sennheiser HD's. And as long as you have a good soundcard(mainly for positional audio)  the HD's will be great. But either way, their quality reigns supreme over anything mentioned here.