Need help from anyone who plays console games on monitors.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

abnergoinbig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#1 abnergoinbig
Member since 2011 • 81 Posts

I'm looking to buy a monitor or two. I want one that will be great for next gen, too. I'm playing on a 50 inch plasma at the moment, but will soon moving that out of my room for my father and will be setting up a recording station for my youtube channel. I was looking at an Asus VG model that looks pretty cool and wanted to see if anyone has some  recommendations. Is a 23 inch better than a 27? etc.

Here is the link to the monitor I'm currently looking at - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008484Q6E/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts

My 'monitor' happens to be a Sony Bravia 50" LCD TV. You'll want a larger screen, depending on the distance you sit away from it.

Edit:  If you're something like 2-3 feet back, a 23" should work well-enough.

abnergoinbig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 abnergoinbig

Yeah, I plan on sitting at a desk while playing.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
There's a chance the monitor could have a sharper picture or better response time. As long as it works, it should be fine.
abnergoinbig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 abnergoinbig

Do you mind going into deeper detail to explain what you mean? Sorry, I'm learning more about monitors and all that stuff.

abnergoinbig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 abnergoinbig

And are you referring to the monitor I have linked?

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

I was looking to get this one. Its at the best buy near my house.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005419

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts

Do you mind going into deeper detail to explain what you mean? Sorry, I'm learning more about monitors and all that stuff.

abnergoinbig
The smaller the screen, the sharper the image (assuming the same resolution). Games will look much better on a 23" display, than they do on your 50" plasma.
RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts
I have a 24 inch Planar. Its a touch screen with built in speakers. I think you could grab one for around 329 dollars.
buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 buccomatic
Member since 2005 • 1941 Posts

I'm looking to buy a monitor or two. I want one that will be great for next gen, too. I'm playing on a 50 inch plasma at the moment, but will soon moving that out of my room for my father and will be setting up a recording station for my youtube channel. I was looking at an Asus VG model that looks pretty cool and wanted to see if anyone has some  recommendations. Is a 23 inch better than a 27? etc.

Here is the link to the monitor I'm currently looking at - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008484Q6E/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

abnergoinbig
ASUS VG248QE 24" http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313 or BenQ XL2420T 24" http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014270 i believe these are your two best choices for console and even better for use with PC. i'm not sure how you will use the I/O ports for sound when recording though. maybe use an elgato recording device because it is HDMI. i have an ASUS VW246H and it's fantastic for xbox 360! i use an HDMI cable with it and plug my PC speakers into the headset out port, on the back of the monitor for sound, and the sound is awesome! the splendid color on the asus monitors looks amazing once you get the colors set properly, but you will have different modes that you will have to chose from when playing different games to get them to look right, but it only requires the touch of a button so it's no problem. i hear the lightboost on the benq monitor is awesome but the colors are kinda washed out and i have also read there is a bit of screen flicker which is bad on the eyes. MLG uses that benq monitor for it's tournaments so it has to be excellent as well.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

As long as the monitor has HDMI and is HDCP it will work fine.

You'll have to decide what to do about sound though since monitor speakers are even worse than TV speakers.

Avatar image for jesuschristmonk
jesuschristmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 jesuschristmonk
Member since 2009 • 3308 Posts
[QUOTE="buccomatic"] or BenQ XL2420T 24" http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014270

I was recommended BenQ on this forum, and I like mine a lot. I'm probably going to pick this one up when I get around to building a gaming PC, since it's 120hz, and have a dual monitor setup.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127532 Posts

You'll have to decide what to do about sound though since monitor speakers are even worse than TV speakers.

kraken2109
Send them through optical to a receiver, or from TV to stereo?
buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 buccomatic
[QUOTE="jesuschristmonk"][QUOTE="buccomatic"] or BenQ XL2420T 24" http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014270

I was recommended BenQ on this forum, and I like mine a lot. I'm probably going to pick this one up when I get around to building a gaming PC, since it's 120hz, and have a dual monitor setup.

how rich and vibrant is the color/picture on the XL2420T? i hear it's kinda washed out but i have seen youtube video's of gameplay with one and they look great.
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 C_Rule
[QUOTE="buccomatic"][QUOTE="jesuschristmonk"][QUOTE="buccomatic"] or BenQ XL2420T 24" http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014270

how rich and vibrant is the color/picture on the XL2420T? i hear it's kinda washed out but i have seen youtube video's of gameplay with one and they look great.

Out of the box, the colours are rubbish. After some calibration, it'll look just as good as any other TN.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 horgen  Moderator
I've played on monitors for years with my consoles. But I can only give a comparison with old CRT TVs. So for me it was a huge improvement because I could play in HD. For sound I used a stereo that I had which gave very good sound for its price.
buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 buccomatic
[QUOTE="C_Rule"][QUOTE="buccomatic"][QUOTE="jesuschristmonk"] I was recommended BenQ on this forum, and I like mine a lot. I'm probably going to pick this one up when I get around to building a gaming PC, since it's 120hz, and have a dual monitor setup.

Out of the box, the colours are rubbish. After some calibration, it'll look just as good as any other TN.

do you mean using a profile form tftcentral or do you mean eyeballing it to spec, or a maybe calibration tool?
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 C_Rule
[QUOTE="C_Rule"][QUOTE="buccomatic"]how rich and vibrant is the color/picture on the XL2420T? i hear it's kinda washed out but i have seen youtube video's of gameplay with one and they look great.buccomatic

do you mean using a profile form tftcentral or do you mean eyeballing it to spec, or a maybe calibration tool?

Just found some recommended settings and rolled with them.
kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

kraken2109

most HDMI monitors have an Audio Out socket, great for headphones or PC speakers

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 horgen  Moderator

[QUOTE="kraken2109"]

kungfool69

most HDMI monitors have an Audio Out socket, great for headphones or PC speakers

Some even have optical out.