This topic is locked from further discussion.

codyoler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 codyoler
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I recently got a new hdtv and I can't get my Nintendo 64 hooked up properly. My tv has only one component input on it and its for red, green and blue cables. When I plug in the N64 using the red white yellow cables there is no sound and the picture is black and white. Anyone have any idea how to fix this?
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

I recently got a new hdtv and I can't get my Nintendo 64 hooked up properly. My tv has only one component input on it and its for red, green and blue cables. When I plug in the N64 using the red white yellow cables there is no sound and the picture is black and white. Anyone have any idea how to fix this?codyoler

I thought most HDTVs still come with composite inputs. Does it have s-video? You can get a yellow RCA -> s-video converter if it does. You could also try hooking up the yellow cable to just the green input. I'm not 100% if you get a fully colored picture, but I had to do this when setting up my VGA cable for the Wii.

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

component input uses THREE video inputs and two audio inputs. the older yellow connection is known as composite input. you basiclly need to have a yellow hole on the TV, or if S-video is present, get a composite to S-video adapter.

Anberlin_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Anberlin_2004
Member since 2007 • 211 Posts
Even if you had the inputs, it will look horrible. Imagine taking a small resolution jpeg photo and zooming 10x. The best thing to do if you want to play N64 on HDTV is to play them on a Wii (if you can find the games you want for download) or find a nice tube television. The tv would be the cheaper solution of the two.
ssj_neo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 ssj_neo
Member since 2010 • 162 Posts

try putting the yellow wire in the green slot then there should be a seperate one for audio. some tv's have this capability some don't tho. Hope that helps

Green Blue Red - W / R

^^ if thats how it is, leave the blue and red pins empty,

so its should be

Green (Yellow), Empty , Empty - White / Red

Hope that helps, might as well try my samsung works that way.

ehhwhatever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ehhwhatever
Member since 2010 • 1463 Posts

Even if you had the inputs, it will look horrible. Imagine taking a small resolution jpeg photo and zooming 10x. The best thing to do if you want to play N64 on HDTV is to play them on a Wii (if you can find the games you want for download) or find a nice tube television. The tv would be the cheaper solution of the two.Anberlin_2004

I was surprised when I used s-video cables with my N64 and played Quake II on a plasma TV and it looked good. My guess is Q2 is major enhanced with the expansion pak.

Anberlin_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Anberlin_2004
Member since 2007 • 211 Posts

[QUOTE="Anberlin_2004"]Even if you had the inputs, it will look horrible. Imagine taking a small resolution jpeg photo and zooming 10x. The best thing to do if you want to play N64 on HDTV is to play them on a Wii (if you can find the games you want for download) or find a nice tube television. The tv would be the cheaper solution of the two.ehhwhatever

I was surprised when I used s-video cables with my N64 and played Quake II on a plasma TV and it looked good. My guess is Q2 is major enhanced with the expansion pak.

I forgot to mention that, yes, Plasma is another alternative. Plasma behaves alot like a tube tv while giving an HDTV picture. Plasmas are nice. I might get one sometime. LCD is fine for progressive Gamecube/ PS2/ XBOX, Wii, PS3, or XBOX360, however, it's not the same for anything before these systems (atleast from what I've seen).
kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

[QUOTE="Anberlin_2004"]Even if you had the inputs, it will look horrible. Imagine taking a small resolution jpeg photo and zooming 10x. The best thing to do if you want to play N64 on HDTV is to play them on a Wii (if you can find the games you want for download) or find a nice tube television. The tv would be the cheaper solution of the two.ehhwhatever

quake 2 was a bit of a surprise. ocmpletely origianl levels built for the n64 and it ran really good back then!