skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

As you might no in past I have been having problems with my PC from shimmering textures to jaggy edges what looks like antialiasing not working. I was also getting a lot of mouse lag with vsync on or off. Yesterday I decided to get a new DVI-d duel link cable for my monitor. Plugged it in turned on PC and played games what I been trying to play all this time. Even AC Unity the mouse lag gone from main menu this was also really bad in other games and desktop but not as bad as games. Any way I played started AC up with ultra setting witc AA MSAAx2 and wow. No more stutter or shimmering and jaggy edges at 144hz.

All this time it must have been bad Cable what I got with my monitor. I had tried in past to use a HDMI to HDMI and colours improved loads over old dvi-d cable but now even colours look better using new dvi-d cable. Cant believe it.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2  Edited By skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

I can confirm as using gpu tweak 2 from asus that gpu usage is at 82% on old dvi-d cable and on new one its at 99% in games that is.. Seems strange.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

All DVI and HDMI cables provide an identical picture signal. The only kind of "bad HDMI" or "bad DVI" cable is one that doesn't work at all. There's no in-between AFAIK.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#4 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

The cable must have been causing constant disconnects between your pc and monitor causing that stuttering. I only see this happen with bad cable wires or really long cables (dvi fails often beyond 30 feet at resolutions above 1440p, while a self powered HDMI cable can hit over 50 feet, maybe even 100 feet in some cases).

But with this one really cheap HDMI cable i experienced the same thing as you did... the display would flash on and off unless the cable was in a certain position which basically meant there must have been some loose wires inside that crap cable. Sometimes it wouldnt do that but have artifact noise on the screen also.

So i disagree with the comment above about it either working or not for a digital cable, there are inbetweens. Just try to run a really long or faulty hdmi cable or dvi cable and you will start to see artifacts on the screen or it'll do that crap with it flashing on and off.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

With a lot of noise in a digital signal, you generally get very apparent artifacts or flashing pixels. It's extremely unlikely that they would cause differences like you are describing.

Colors are going to look exactly the same on dvi vs hdmi.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@Yams1980 said:

So i disagree with the comment above about it either working or not for a digital cable, there are inbetweens. Just try to run a really long or faulty hdmi cable or dvi cable and you will start to see artifacts on the screen or it'll do that crap with it flashing on and off.

I should've been more specific. A cable that's dropping out or artifacting falls is exactly what I'd call "not working" (because it's more or less unusable).

My point is that if a cable is working, it works the same as any other. If the cable is broken/not working, it will be blatant and obvious.

More subtle differences that the OP was alluding to like input lag, stuttering, shimmering, colors, etc. don't vary from cable to cable.