My RAM is 8GB and the usable is ONLY 3.47 GB!!??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by explasiv (1420 posts) -

My RAM is 8GB and when I go to System Properties in My computer it say "Installed Memorry (RAM):8.00 GB (3.47 GB used) .. Why is that??????

I have Microsoft Windows 7 (build 7600), 32-bit..

#2 Posted by 04dcarraher (20620 posts) -
32bit OS is your problem you need 64bit to use more then 4gb
#3 Posted by MonsieurX (31749 posts) -
32bit OS is your problem you need 64bit to use more then 4gb04dcarraher
Gotta format and get a 64 bit OS.
#4 Posted by Xiumph (109 posts) -
The above poster is right, only 64bit systems can run more then 4gigs. Gotta really understand your system before upgrading.
#5 Posted by explasiv (1420 posts) -
Ok Thanks didnt know that I have to get 64 bit
#6 Posted by explasiv (1420 posts) -

Ok so I have windows 7 32 bit, How can I Upgrade it to 64 bit?

#7 Posted by Xiumph (109 posts) -
If you want to move from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows, you'll need to back up your files and then perform a Custom installation of the 64-bit version of Windows. Check this out for more: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows-7
#8 Posted by couly (5840 posts) -
I wouldn't bother going 64 bit. You won't notice any difference with your games.
#9 Posted by katana_duo (1751 posts) -
I wouldn't bother going 64 bit. You won't notice any difference with your games.couly
If he has 8 GB of RAM it would be pointless not to get 64 bit.
#11 Posted by XaosII (16699 posts) -

You dont have to rebuy Windows. The CD Key is the same for 32 and 64 bit version.

Here is a link from Microsoft's official partner store to download the disc: http://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads-t12325.html

Make sure to download the appropriate edition of Windows 7 of the CD key you own.

#12 Posted by godzillavskong (7900 posts) -
[QUOTE="couly"]I wouldn't bother going 64 bit. You won't notice any difference with your games.katana_duo
If he has 8 GB of RAM it would be pointless not to get 64 bit.

Right. If he's already got the 8gb of memory, and the Windows copy, why not upgrade to 64bit. The difference in gaming may be unnoticeable now, but may come into play later, so I'd go ahead and move to 64bit.
#13 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6093 posts) -

i agree its not worth the hassle imo. But if you have nothing better to do then go ahead.

#14 Posted by C_Rule (9812 posts) -
I wouldn't bother going 64 bit. You won't notice any difference with your games.couly
That's not true at all, I don't have to do much to get memory usage over 4GB. GW2 + Opera and not much else uses over 5GB. There are other games like BF3, which use a lot of memory.
#15 Posted by kraken2109 (13241 posts) -
[QUOTE="couly"]I wouldn't bother going 64 bit. You won't notice any difference with your games.C_Rule
That's not true at all, I don't have to do much to get memory usage over 4GB. GW2 + Opera and not much else uses over 5GB. There are other games like BF3, which use a lot of memory.

Firefox can eat 1GB by itself if you have a lot of tabs open.
#16 Posted by RyviusARC (4910 posts) -

[QUOTE="couly"]I wouldn't bother going 64 bit. You won't notice any difference with your games.C_Rule

he could get by with 3.5gb of RAM windows allocates memory to the programs that need it the most.(but it seems pretty stupid to waste around 60% of your RAM)

The only problem is that once you are done with a game that may have utlized the majority of your RAM then the OS will have to reallocate that memory back to other programs causing them to start up slower.

I have a 7 year old laptop with 1gb of RAM + Windows 7 ultimate installed and if I am not doing anything on it then it uses around 280-300mbs of RAM.

When using Chrome with around 8 tabs open it still only uses around 650mbs of RAM.

Basically it all comes down to him wanting faster loading on some programs and the ability to have more programs running....although only games and a few other programs will be RAM hungry.

Sometimes I noticed Chrome having a memory leak but closing and reopening it will fix the issue.

#17 Posted by XaosII (16699 posts) -

He's already got the 8 GB of RAM, why is this even being debated any more? He's already commited to the only part of this problem that costs money.