my predictions coming true sadly

This topic is locked from further discussion.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

I feel its just the beginning. Im all for things changing "like I knew they would" BUT whatever replaces my desktop better be as powerful and upgrade-able..OR really cheap to just buy new every other year.

http://www.wired.com/2015/03/no-really-pc-dying-not-coming-back/

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@VanDammFan said:

I feel its just the beginning. Im all for things changing "like I knew they would" BUT whatever replaces my desktop better be as powerful and upgrade-able..OR really cheap to just buy new every other year.

Here we go again.

I think this is like the 30th time PC has died in the last 20 years. People that write these articles need a new hobby.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#3 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17795 Posts

@FelipeInside said:
@VanDammFan said:

Here we go again.

I think this is like the 30th time PC has died in the last 20 years. People that write these articles need a new hobby.

Indeed. Click-bait garbage.

UnrealGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By UnrealGunner
Member since 2015 • 1073 Posts

PC is not dying console is dying

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts
@BassMan said:
@FelipeInside said:
@VanDammFan said:

Here we go again.

+1.

Plus this article is 10months old, so I don't know if this is a failed trolling attempt...

Daaaaaam! PCs are dead. Oh wait...

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@VanDammFan said:

They predicted this back in 2011. According to the gloom n doom articles back then, PCs should have been extinct by 2016. Well, it's 2016 and these morons still want to eat more crow. Mmmm. Yummy.

If they were in my line of work, I would've fired them.

OmegaTau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 OmegaTau
Member since 2007 • 908 Posts

@Coseniath said:
@BassMan said:
@FelipeInside said:
@VanDammFan said:

Here we go again.

+1.

Plus this article is 10months old, so I don't know if this is a failed trolling attempt...

Daaaaaam! PCs are dead. Oh wait...

I guess most of those games are crappy early access games ....yea it is

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

The industry needs the desktop compute power for productivity, thus cheaper consumer PC parts for us.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts
@OmegaTau said:

I guess most of those games are crappy early access games ....yea it is

$billion dollars revenue has nothing to do with "crappy early access".

Do you have any proof that despite all this rising billions of revenue, the biggest percentage total revenue (which btw, is bigger than XBOX and PSX together) of PC is coming from early access games?

Yeah, I don't think so...

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

no pc's are not dying, the reason for the overall decline in pc sales is because of econonmic decline. lots of business, government agencies for example are still using out of date pc's, if they were to completely upgrade and keep pace with tech, they alone would increase the market.

the article pointed this out this fact under the heading "no more pc no more power", then dismissed it as excuses. the global economy isn't in bad??

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

@VanDammFan said:

Wired is clickbait, ignore and move on.

CommandoAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12  Edited By CommandoAgent
Member since 2005 • 1703 Posts

The desktop that i have is a custom made, nearly had spend 1000 on building it. Next time i might buy one from digital storm.

Custom made desktops are getting their spotlight. In reality the PCs arent dying, but factory state models are the ones that are dying out as a brand.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

This article is stupid. it just refers to business class computers... which are the majority of computers sold, it says nothing about gaming/enthusiast/work stations ... and just compares the market to phones... which is simply unfair. They've been singing the same tune for years...

Yet to see a tablet or phone offer even half the productivity in any field over a computer.

Pleanty of Directors in my company using iPads ... only they are useless with them and can't even set up their email accounts half the time... speaks volumes.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@MBirdy88:

@MBirdy88 said:

Yet to see a tablet or phone offer even half the productivity in any field over a computer.

Those Microsoft Surface tablets do heaps of productivity on the go.

I agree with your post though.

NakedHeadcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NakedHeadcrab
Member since 2007 • 138 Posts

The PC has always been a solid (gaming) platform; though some people still continue to come up with ridiculous and misleading articles like the above mentioned.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

Haven't read the article - but people have been saying that pcs are dying for ages now - and it just doesn't seem to be happening.

Who in they right mind games on a phone or a tablet - except casual players?

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

Pre-built PC's are dying. However, PC hardware sales are higher than ever. As long as people want to build and upgrade their own PC's the market will be there.

jj-josh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jj-josh
Member since 2014 • 266 Posts

@VanDammFan said:

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19  Edited By mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58270 Posts

Yes, PC is dying. In the same way that people start dying once they're born, the Sun is dying because it has a finite amount of fuel, and all that morbid and cynical nonsense.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@MBirdy88:

@MBirdy88 said:

Those Microsoft Surface tablets do heaps of productivity on the go.

I agree with your post though.

Meh they are more tablet/ultrabooks ... a higher end market, that are practically the next step in laptops, I wouldn't class them as normal tablets

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

It was Windows Vista what made Windows desktop die. Then windows 8 happened then 8.1 nearly made it better. But... Windows 10 I say desk top is back to its good old self of windows 7. All games and even all accessories I have work this time. I have track IR 5 and that's didn't like windows vista and 8, 8.1. But windows 10 is working again. Tried it serval times too on same machine. I like windows 10 pro amazing OS and probably get better too. .

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jun_aka_pekto

@skipper847 said:

It was Windows Vista what made Windows desktop die. Then windows 8 happened then 8.1 nearly made it better. But... Windows 10 I say desk top is back to its good old self of windows 7. All games and even all accessories I have work this time. I have track IR 5 and that's didn't like windows vista and 8, 8.1. But windows 10 is working again. Tried it serval times too on same machine. I like windows 10 pro amazing OS and probably get better too. .

One thing with Windows 10 is all the Securom games I compiled over the years quit working. I'd have to re-buy the digital versions. With Vista, 7, and 8/8.1, I had maybe one or two games that wouldn't work. With 10, I had a whole bunch that quit working just because MS dropped Securom support.

The only problem I had with Vista was it felt like a hog. That was fixed later by the service packs. By the time of Vista SP2, it was quite snappy.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@skipper847 said:

One thing with Windows 10 is all the Securom games I compiled over the years quit working. I'd have to re-buy the digital versions. With Vista, 7, and 8/8.1, I had maybe one or two games that wouldn't work. With 10, I had a whole bunch that quit working just because MS dropped Securom support.

The only problem I had with Vista was it felt like a hog. That was fixed later by the service packs. By the time of Vista SP2, it was quite snappy.

it's like, good and bad at the same time, because securom is a pile of shit

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@wis3boi said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:
@skipper847 said:

it's like, good and bad at the same time, because securom is a pile of shit

It would've been nice if I was allowed a 1:1 trade from disc-based to digital-based for the games I already own.

Granted, it's not the publisher's fault. But, the publisher should, at least, make a patch to get rid of the disc-check or allow me to tie-in a game with a particular client (Steam, Uplay, Origin).

I hate paying for the same thing twice.

As an example...... Crysis Maximum Edition has both Crysis and Warhead. I can't play Crysis because it has a disc-check while Warhead does not and is playable in Windows 10. How hard would it be to issue a no disc-check patch for Crysis?

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By urbangamez

@jun_aka_pekto: to play the disc version of warhead on win 10, i think you have to download patch 1.00 and 1.1 from crytek and install and then launch the game from c: program files x86, electronic arts, crytek, crysis warhead, bin64 right click on crysis64 icon, run as admin. (if 64bit os).

for crysis after installing patches 1.1, 1.2 and 1.21 then similar steps as warhead to launch.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#26 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

PCs are better and more powerful than ever. I don't see how they are dying. Plus with consoles and PCs now having almost the same hardware, the games available PC greater in number than ever.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@urbangamez said:

@jun_aka_pekto: to play the disc version of warhead on win 10, i think you have to download patch 1.00 and 1.1 from crytek and install and then launch the game from c: program files x86, electronic arts, crytek, crysis warhead, bin64 right click on crysis64 icon, run as admin. (if 64bit os).

for crysis after installing patches 1.1, 1.2 and 1.21 then similar steps as warhead to launch.

Warhead (no Securom) works fine unpatched in Windows 10. It's Crysis (Securom), the one with Nomad, that doesn't work in Windows 10.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By urbangamez

@jun_aka_pekto: you did say warhead worked on windows 10, my mistake.

as to crysis working on win 10 here is the proof

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58270 Posts

My only fear with this whole "PC/PC Gaming is dying" thing is that there are a lot of dumb sheep out there, and if you say something often and loud enough, they will buy into it and make it true.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

LOL

Wired at it again. They do these articles every now and then, and they have always been wrong. I think there's some sad console molester making those articles, because why else would anyone bother?

edit: as for the topic creator; this will "come true" just as much as their previous predictions, wich is approximately, pretty much, about 0% chance.

@thereal25 said:

Who in they right mind games on a phone or a tablet - except casual players?

yeah. whenever someone predicts that phablets will kill all other gaming devices, it only proves that they don't understand rat's ass about gaming. i would dare to even say that they are in a wrong business, if they have their hands in gaming market.

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts

PC is most developed-for platform, has the highest user base and has the highest revenue. If anything happening then it's consoles that are dying.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jun_aka_pekto

@urbangamez said:

@jun_aka_pekto: you did say warhead worked on windows 10, my mistake.

as to crysis working on win 10 here is the proof

Let me give it another shot. Sometimes, after a while, games that weren't working before start working again. I've seen games start working again after a MS update.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

Yup. It looks like that last series of Windows updates probably had a fix. Crysis DVD is working here too.

Edit:

It looks like Rise of Legends is working too.

NUSNA_Moebius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 NUSNA_Moebius
Member since 2014 • 118 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

My only fear with this whole "PC/PC Gaming is dying" thing is that there are a lot of dumb sheep out there, and if you say something often and loud enough, they will buy into it and make it true.

That is a problem with anything........social engineering.

Well PC components are still fairly cheap, but alot of it has to do with stagnation in IC engineering. It's easier to just add "moar cores" and make incremental core improvements than design whole new processing cores.

Skylake AFAIK is just a direct descendant of Nehalem. I'm not sure how related Nehalem was to Penryn and Conroe (Core 2 Duo), but if it was, it's a lineage that can be traced to the Pentium M and then all the way back to the Pentium III. AMD's upcoming Zen is a descendant of the K10/Stars cores from their Llano, Phenom II and Athlon II processors, which of course are directly related to their K8 family (Athlon 64).

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1314 Posts

1: PCs are used for more than just gaming

2: Windows isn't the only OS for PCs. Personally when I see people buying a laptop, more and more people chooses a Mac Book for example.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

LMFAO! Pc is dying! Then the only thing they come up with as an example of this is the fact prebuilt over priced machines aren't selling like they used too... Ya because people who generally play on pc, tend to build their pc's not buy prebuilt overpriced machines like a macbook to play their games on. And the ones who use to purchased the overpriced junk you find in a bestbuy because they didn't know any better have moved to smart phones and tablets.

"None of this should come as a surprise in an age where mobile devices have become the dominant computing platform" dominant? Umm that's why I still see every school, business, and student using a god damn pc/laptop.... No one is using their phone for work besides email and calls. I literally don't know a single company that uses a mobile phone for the majority of their computing. The statement is literally so factually wrong it's pathetic. Who wrote this shit article? Like why does he/she compare a hardware company and a search engine company? So many things so wrong with this piece it actually makes me mad. Not at the writer but at the fact that this idiot has a job writing and gets payed for it when I could have spent like a day and done a much much much better job, with some actual information that is worth writing about. I need to find me one of these mail it in and say **** it jobs writing for an internet company.